new Eduard "1/48" Bf 109G warning

Troy Smith

Not seen any mention of this here, ran across this elsewhere and checked threads on Hyperscale and ARC, the short being, while Eduard's new Bf109G makes a very nice and detailed model, 1/48th it's not, scaling out at 1/45 or 1/46th.

while not sounding much, it's enough to make it look to big with other 109 models....

as this has been being hyped to the heavens by Eduard, I think this worth mentioning, OK, some relevant threads

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1400415974/Eduard+109+bringing+it+all+together-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1400370807/Adding+fuel+to+the+fire%2C+perhaps-+An+interesting+fuselage+photo+comparison

this one is a mess, but has posts by Mansur Mustafin, who did the research for the Zvezda Bf109F, rated as the best 1/48th 109 as it was designed off the blueprint measurements

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1400026707/So+what+are+Eduards+options+after+the+109+debacle--

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=275210&st=0

I post these in case readers would like to know more, but here's some pics, from the first thread linked

Hasegawa 109 fuselage inside the Eduard

14022040349_d99fc3d03a_b.jpg

Eduard vs Fujimi wings

1399812981.JPG

from Lynn Ritger, noted Bf109 buff, author of the Modeller's datafile's from this one

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1400093225/So---what+is+wrong+with+the+Eduard+109G+exactly-

There are so many ways to tell you how wrong this is, but one will suffice.

Eduard themselves bragged incessantly about how this was "the most accurate Bf 109G-6 ever", and then proceeded to show their a$$ when some small detail issues were pointed out, by openly mocking those of us who actually DO know what we're talking about. Now we know those minor detail issues were just the tip of an oversized iceberg.
If you run a model company whose goal is to provide the absolute best and highest quality models, and you run your mouth about how awesome your stuff is, you better be prepared to get some king-sized blowback when your team screws the pooch on something as basic as the friggin' dimensions of the aircraft you've kitted.

To me the irony is that Eduard have boxed Zvezda's La-5 and La-5FN, so they could have, well, ..compared their kit to what is regarded as the best 1/48th Bf109F [and remember that the core G airframe is essentially the same]

Hope of interest or use to help you decide about the new kit.

T

It is not in a different scale; just wrong everywhere.

The wingspan is the highlight, being 214 mm instead of 206.7 mm, so 7.3 mm over actual, or well over a foot(!), yet similar in chord to the Zvezda, so the wing is not scaled up...

Apparently it has the exact same 14 mm cockpit width as the Hasegawa, instead of the correct 13 mm cockpit width, which is, in itself, proportionally as big an error as the Eduard wingspan...

Another horror is the squarish undernose, due to fictional paralell sides in this area. The spine is also slightly humped, while the rear belly is flatter than it should be, as if the curves were exchanged...

Hopefully, buying more Eduard Spitfires (or Mig 21s) will nudge this maker in the right direction...

J.

Edited by stravinsk75

Looks like they have made a Royal-Class balls-up here. I have seen the kit absolutely ripped to shreds on Hyperscale. Need less to say it is not very high on my wants list, so will not be rushing out to buy one.

Considering that Eduard's core business is fixing and improving shortfalls on other kits it is amazing they got this so wrong.

OK... Did they get the Spitfire right?

That's what really matters to me.

Now, if it was an inaccurate Vulcan... Oh! The Humanity!

Considering that Eduard's core business is fixing and improving shortfalls on other kits it is amazing they got this so wrong.

hmm, probably worth it's own thread....aftermarket that looks nice, but is not accurate. Eduard do sets for say, Hobbyboss Hellcat, in which case it's lipstick on a pig.

But then Eduard have been churning out pre painted etch sets with incorrect cockpit colours...... Still, major cash cow for them, apparently the manufacture cost of the etch is low, meaning the profit margin on the etch is rather high!

OK... Did they get the Spitfire right?

AFAIK, yes.

• Like 1

hmm, probably worth it's own thread....aftermarket that looks nice, but is not accurate. Eduard do sets for say, Hobbyboss Hellcat, in which case it's lipstick on a pig.

But then Eduard have been churning out pre painted etch sets with incorrect cockpit colours...... Still, major cash cow for them, apparently the manufacture cost of the etch is low, meaning the profit margin on the etch is rather high!

AFAIK, yes.

I have the HobbyBoss "Hellcat"- I have the Eduard Big Ed set for it- maybe someday I will build it, maybe keep it for my son to build. Got the Etch set very cheap.

If the 109 is actually as bad as it seems, it gives them the opportunity to offer an update & correction set consisting of a full newly tooled kit.

:coat:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bet if you built one and displayed it at a show, there would be very few, in fact probably none who would notice the flaws. It happened with my Trumpeter Lightning, displayed it at a show and no one said anything bad about it, in fact quite the opposite, from 'that's nicely done' to 'is that the new Airfix kit'?

thanks

Mike

PS, looks like the wingspan is the worst error, the fuselage length will certainly not be very noticeable at all!

• Like 4

There are a couple of threads already on here about this.

Hadn't seen them Dave, and I often look at 'new content'

so, quick search

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947521-148-messerschmitt-bf109f-g-family-by-eduard-bf109g-6-released/page-2

build here, pointing out the faults.

There is Mike's review, which doesn't. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960900-bf109g-6-profipack-148/

Are there any other's I have missed?

I'd look here for info on the kit, I think other's will.

I bet if you built one and displayed it at a show, there would be very few, in fact probably none who would notice the flaws. It happened with my Trumpeter Lightning, displayed it at a show and no one said anything bad about it, in fact quite the opposite, from 'that's nicely done' to 'is that the new Airfix kit'?

thanks

Mike

PS, looks like the wingspan is the worst error, the fuselage length will certainly not be very noticeable at all!

Mike, this will run and run. I posted this up as I was flabbergasted, and given that a fair few members would be interested in this, thought it worth a warning.

Short is, Eduard have cocked up, ESPECIALLY with all the hype.

I assumed they'd be pulling of the same trick as with their 1/48th Spitfires. So did they it seems.

The oversize is not just about length, it's about volume, which is noticeable, there is a post on this in one of the linked threads.

Like the Hase Spitfire, looks fine on it's own, looks wrong next to a correctly sized Spitfire.

If you displayed a Trumpeter Lightning next to an accurate kit, then you might notice, if you were a buff on the Lightning.

The 'it looks OK shut up and build it' brigade have come out on this, and if it was TrumpyBoss then there would be sighs and moans as well, but they never hype their kits.

Eduard have been shouting from the rooftops for months about this being "The Most Accurate Bf109 in 1/48th"

And it's not. I don't doubt it will sell and sell, and be built in droves by the 'shut up and build' brigade but really.

what I want to know is HOW DO YOU GET IT THIS WRONG!

More so considering they work with Zvezda, who got it right.

Roll on Zvezda doing the G series.

I'm afraid to say that at the time of writing, I didn't know the issues :shrug: It's still a beautifully tooled kit, but then there's the scaling to taking into account. However - don't forget that everyone is human, and we all make mistakes. Looks like it was unfortunate that these weren't picked up before metal was cut. It's not a case of "screwing the pooch", "dropping the ball", or any such hyperbole. It's a simple case of making a mistake, and we all make those, as much as some hate to admit it. :)

• Like 6

Ok, I will be the first to admit that I am part of the shut up and build it brigade, but I do on the other hand agree which what you are saying regarding the kit.

I purchased the kit immediately after it became available and as a result of how good their spitfires were.

So anyway I thought I would send Eduard an email, regarding the kit, see what they would say, below is a copy of the email

Good afternoon Eduard

I've recently purchased one of your 1/48 BF 109G-6 kits and I have reason to believe the kit is faulty, there seems to have been some error in the manufacturing process of the kit and as a result its actually too big. I've purchased a 2nd kit just to make sure it was not an isolated error and the 2nd kit also has the same fault.
After some research I have found that many of my fellow modelers also have the same fault on their kits, and some have actually found out the kit is in 1/45 scale and not the 1/48 scale that is stated on the box. I would be extremely grateful if I could get the kit exchanged for a kit in the correct 1/48 scale.
Kind Regards
  • Like 1

Oh dear there goes another opportunity for a Model Manufacturer to claim a niche market as it's own. Never mind maybe Trumpeter could go into the upgrade business and make a set for this kit?

Duncan B (who has 3 of these in the stash, bought on the day they were released. When will I learn?)

• Like 1

It is not in a different scale; just wrong everywhere.

The wingspan is the highlight, being 214 mm instead of 206.7 mm, so 7.3 mm over actual, or well over a foot(!), yet similar in chord to the Zvezda, so the wing is not scaled up...

Hi Gaston :bye:

Read somewhere that you were banned, but good to see you here nonetheless.

regards,

J.

• Like 1

Hi Gaston :bye:

Read somewhere that you were banned, but good to see you here nonetheless.

regards,

J.

How do we know this is Gaston, Jason? :hmmm: Banned is banned, afterall. :fight:

I hear that the difference between the kit wingspan and the wingspan it's supposed to be is around 3%

And I hear that we all make mistakes...

So, small test: what would you all do if you find that your next month's salary is down by 3%, you go to the account department and they tell you "sorry, someone made a mistake... ehy, we're human, we all make mistakes " ????

I'm pretty sure that most of us would have very rude words about the "we all make mistakes" thing... :wicked:

• Like 2

Well the pseudonyms vary, but just over the last few weeks just browsing various sites:

Also as 'stravinsk75' on Hyperscale Eduard Bf109G thread, makes reference to Spitfire cockpit width:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1399894375/So+around+1-46+scale+then-

(lots of comments from him on HS re the new Eduard kit, all sounding familiar)

Posts as himself on imodeler; making the same mention of his own Spitfire cockpit measurements:

http://imodeler.com/2013/05/imodeler-review-eduard-148-spitfire-mk-ixc-late-version-2/

Posts on ARC as 'Robertson', again with the Spitfire issue:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=272852&st=0

J.

I'm afraid to say that at the time of writing, I didn't know the issues :shrug: It's still a beautifully tooled kit, but then there's the scaling to taking into account. However - don't forget that everyone is human, and we all make mistakes. Looks like it was unfortunate that these weren't picked up before metal was cut. It's not a case of "screwing the pooch", "dropping the ball", or any such hyperbole. It's a simple case of making a mistake, and we all make those, as much as some hate to admit it. :)

Well said, Mike…..It will not, however, stop the screaming hordes from venting their spleens on this kit……..It will give them a nice change from having a pop at Trumpboss….

Well the pseudonyms vary, but just over the last few weeks just browsing various sites:

Also as 'stravinsk75' on Hyperscale Eduard Bf109G thread, makes reference to Spitfire cockpit width:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1399894375/So+around+1-46+scale+then-

(lots of comments from him on HS re the new Eduard kit, all sounding familiar)

Posts as himself on imodeler; making the same mention of his own Spitfire cockpit measurements:

http://imodeler.com/2013/05/imodeler-review-eduard-148-spitfire-mk-ixc-late-version-2/

Posts on ARC as 'Robertson', again with the Spitfire issue:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=272852&st=0

J.

He posts as himself on Modelwarships and has been up to his old tricks with photos and red lines regarding Trumpeter's 1/200 USS Missouri kit but then what do you expect from a guy who took over 2 years to build Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire XII, on account of him hacking it up so much because he thought it was fatally flawed!

If everybody listened to him, there would be about half a dozen kits in the world worth building. I find it's best to have a little laugh at him while reading his posts, then ignore what he says and get on and build something!

thanks

Mike

• Like 4

Problem is, I can't decide whether to go with "Screaming Hordes" or "Vented Spleen" for my band's name... [Edit: Oops, this was a reply to the post before the post before.]

How do we know this is Gaston, Jason? :hmmm: Banned is banned, afterall. :fight:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

:coat:

Edited by gingerbob

Personally,

the best part of this phenomenal Eduard-shoots-itsef-in-the-foot-affair is the invention of the new 109 variant: Bf 109G-XL.

What's next? 109K-XL? F-XL?

Luckily there is no way for Eduard to create the Spitfire VIII-XL. Or is it? :mental:

Vedran

• Haha 1

"Eduard have been shouting from the rooftops for months about this being "The Most Accurate Bf109 in 1/48th"

- Yes, they did. And given their previous track record, many people believed the hype. Now it "hit the fan" and back into their faces. Hope they will figure out the way to rectify it... unfortunately for them, there is a choice of Gustavs in 48 scale, so their Yak-3 situation will not repeat itself.

But things happen, similar one - not long ago with ICM and their overhyped Su-27.... which on top also had QC issues with it. I am sure there were other cases like this...Eduard has produced amazing kits before and I hope they will step over this bad experience and create more soon.

• Like 1