Airfix Canberra B2 IN 1/48 *****disaster strikes************

Hi folks. after a great run on 1/72 builds since joining BM last year I have got my stash down to less than eight kits 3 of the

different Canberra releases all picked up for £7:99 each due to the demise of Modelzone and the sea vixen in 1/48 and four

1/72 kits so, in the time left until the Northern model show(got my shopping list ready) I thought I would have a crack at this one

so a straight OOB build not my scale but for under £8 might be fun.airfixa10101reviewbg_1_zpsb8c552af.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Following this one. I got mine from model zone for a cheap 9.99 and thought I got a good deal. Looks like I was ripped off lol.

7.99 is almost free for this kit. Great deal.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with her

Rob ;)

Hi folks, a bit of quick progress on this one as the main cockpit components were ready to assemble from the last time I touched this kit over a year ago,

I just needed to assemble and paint the details just enough to give it a busy look sorry to the real Canberra fans it,s not 100% accurate as I am sure

a lot of the rest of the build won,t be!not that I distrust Airfix,s colour call outs but for the early fifties Grey over black scheme what colour would the wheel wells and bomb bay be?

SDC11433_zps0f7b6f28.jpgSDC11432_zpsab5d5d8e.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Steve if you're building the one on the box lid silver will be right for wheels and bomb bay. It's not a bad kit strait out of the box, it defiantly looks like a Canberra, and that's the main thing!

John

Many thanks John that,s the version I am building I am very impressed with the kit dry runs show a good fit,theres a little warping on the port fuselage that

needs attention Ok it,s not up to far eastern standards but even at it,s original price it,s a lot of kit for your money and judging by your builds can end up

at a superb standard if you want to put the work in.

• Like 1

Many thanks John that,s the version I am building I am very impressed with the kit dry runs show a good fit,theres a little warping on the port fuselage that

needs attention Ok it,s not up to far eastern standards but even at it,s original price it,s a lot of kit for your money and judging by your builds can end up

at a superb standard if you want to put the work in.

I'm sure it'll look just dandy when it's done! It's a good solid build with a few pit falls to look out for but nothing too bad.

John

You might want to fill the panel lines: real Canberras are quite smooth skinned: if you can get to RAFM Hendon have a good look at WE139, or at Coventry there is WF922, at Newark WH791 (masquerading as '792)or at Gatwick Aviation Museum WH773 (Hi Bexy, if you're reading this) and you'll see what I mean. You can just about see the dimpling of the skins around the rivet heads but no huge gappy trenches between the panels and definitely no scope for heavy dark panel line washes or pre- or post-shading. As far s I'm concerned Airfix went a bit over the top with the panel lines on this kit, but at least we have (had?) a mainstream injection-moulded Canberra in /48th

When you think you have packed enough weight to make it sit on its undercarriage, add the same amount again or don't bother and use the supplied strut. I've built 3 different ones so guess how I know....

Thanks for the interest and info guys, I don,t want to go down the line of filling the panel lines but will give major weathering and washes a miss and after

undercoating and finishing they might not be as prominent,here,s the latest progress.I have to say the wings went together with no issues all the

separate flaps fitted flush,the tailpipe assembly slotted in nicely only needs a touch of filler before spraying,the cockpit is in and a dry run of the fuselage

halves show a good fit also.The bomb bay and wheel wells are under coated and I had to paint those wheels straight away the moulding is superb.SDC11439_zps00673bd0.jpgSDC11437_zps0fefeee3.jpg

• Like 1

Great start! Yes there are inaccuracies in the kit but it will still look fab out of the box. Have fun with the kit, that's the most important thing.

Martin

• Like 1

Great start! Yes there are inaccuracies in the kit but it will still look fab out of the box. Have fun with the kit, that's the most important thing.

Martin

Absolutely !. Much as its fun to go to town and super detail things, Sometimes its refreshing and fun to just build it as it is.

Every time I go to a show its always the 48th Canberra’s that just "POP" and look amazing.

It's a lovely kit, and I'm glad you've decided to forego the panel line wash. As Steve above says, the real things are really very smooth, with panel lines only faintly visible if at all:

DSCF0131_zps2d9c0783.jpg

I found that the lines didn't really need filling as such, just a couple of applications of primer and rubbing smooth toned them down enough when I built mine as the Olympus engine testbed:

can17.jpg

Whichever way you decide, have fun,

Dean

• Like 2

Thanks Dean I will get a better Idea after priming,to me the fuselage lines are much more prominent than the wings.Lovely example by the way,Hope

I can get near that standard with this one.

Dean, thanks for that lovely shot of WF922: I have one like it somewhere and no idea how to post it to the thread. Agreed a thick-ish application of primer will work as well as a good session with your favourite filler. I've just remembered that I have the substantially-complete B(I) Mk. 8 to prove it.........D'oh! Also like your Olympus test bed, very smart.

Hi folks,a bit more progress over the last day or two.The wings are fully assembled and the front and rear nacelles slotted in with very little trouble

just a little filler and a bit of sanding,a dry run shows a good fit with the bomb bay in place which along with the wheel wells have been sprayed silver

and a wash applied I also added a couple of decals at either end just to add a little detail.thanks for taking interest.SDC11460_zpse9cc72b9.jpgSDC11457_zpsfcd76b9f.jpg

• Like 2