Douglas Skyray, Tamiya 1/72

Ladies and gentlemen,

I'd like to present my newest model. It's the good old tamiya Skyray. It was generally fun to build, fitting and detailing is very good, but the decals are not. They are rather thick, and didn't react with the softeners I work with (micro sol). The building was OOB, I haven't even added the seat belts. Colours are Modelmaster enamel, Light Gull Grey and white, after a preshade. I kept weathering to a absolute minimum (actually just some washing), as the aircrafts looked always very clean.

1-seitel_zps5a4a4154.jpg

2-vorne_zpse5ba755e.jpg

3-seiter_zps3083b6e9.jpg

4-hintenr_zps1065a2fd.jpg

5-nase1_zpse5276e1c.jpg

6-nase2_zps038a83bd.jpg

7-oben_zps76930b4c.jpg

8-unten_zps0abfca45.jpg

My daughter wanted the aircraft to fly, so she drew a nice cloudy landscape. Isn't she sweet?

9-himmel_zps1c3b0342.jpg

10-hinten_zps11ad99a9.jpg

11-hinten2_zpsc00e8876.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alex

• Like 16

Very nice job ! I think the Skyray is the best looking airplane the US Navy ever flew ---------

Great job on that Ford!

It looks beautiful. I have done exactly the same decoration in the past and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Always wanted to build another one and your build has rekindled the desire!

Great job

JR

Beautifully finished, I love the Skyray and I made the same kit in the same markings some time ago which I also posted on here, I loved the kit so easy to build but guess thats Tamiya for you!

Beautiful! Very neat paint job you have done there!

As others have mentioned, I also did this scheme, many years ago using Airfix and Microscale decals - always had a soft spot for it so now also have the 1/48 version to do sometime.

Thanks for showing.

ATB
Rick

Beautifully done Alex, one of the better jobs I've seen on using preshading, which typically disappears or is overdone. One thing to think about on the AIM-9Bs is the seeker, which was clear "glass" on that version. I typically drill out the front to a shallow depth, paint it silver, and then put in a blob of white glue, which dries into a clear "glass", and cover that when dry with clear acrylic.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1

I just received this (replacement) kit, and was wondering if I should build it OOB...looks like my mind is made up. Thanks!! Excellent job!