Revell F4 Corsair

modelldoc

Fairly redundant kit with the excellent Tamiya kits already available.

Revell would be better off doing a new tool F4U-4 rather than another -1 kit

Maybe they will in time anyway, in fact, the more I look at the kit's breakdown of parts, the more I can see the possibilities for an F4U-4!

Anyway, this kit will be cheaper and more readily available than the Tamiya kit. If it goes together well enough it could end up being my go to F4u-1A/D.

I thought it was the well old kit being trotted out again, glad it's a new release. Thanks Modelldoc for posting

Wez

Edited by Wez

Going by the breakdown of parts the FAA version seems to be on the cards re the wing tips. I want those drop tanks!! Just what I need for a Mustang project I have in mind.

Fairly redundant kit with the excellent Tamiya kits already available.

Revell would be better off doing a new tool F4U-4 rather than another -1 kit

Unfortunately Revell don't make money out of Tamiya's kit. And the Tamiya Corsair has a RRP of £16.99 while the Revell kit will be in the shops for £6.50. I know which company will sell more Corsairs once it's out.

Going by Revell's normal M.O. they will be thinking of other variants already.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watch out , do not trust the pictures of the finished model. The clear parts contained in the F4U-4 box are not the ones illustrated on the instruction sheet nor the ones actually seen on

the finished model. The ones you get are from the F4U-1! (as shown on the pic above). The number of these F4U-4 clear parts ( that should be 63 and 65 as stated on the instruction sheet)

do not correspond to the numbers found on the clear parts sprue (that are 64 and 62). These numbers (64 and 62) are F4U-1 clear parts.

Looks like Revell did not make new canopy and windscreen parts for this F4U-4 version, and if they did then something must have gone wrong during the packing of the sprues.

I already sent a word to the customer service and it was forwarded to Revell Germany. I am now waiting for an answer.

Madcop

1. Is it the right length?

2. Later engine appears to be catered for.

3. I thought the offset bomb carriage was strictly -1a

The fabric panels , prominent on the white plastic sprues, are not there on the built up model. Looks like Revell has tried to do it on the cheap, with minimum changes from the 1a

Edited by dalea

Looks like Revell did not make new canopy and windscreen parts for this F4U-4 version, and if they did then something must have gone wrong during the packing of the sprues.

Certainly the latter case, Revell very definitely did tool a new canopy, it is on the prototypes they'd been showing off!

On the plus side, though, with new decals you could build your kit as an early -4, the .50 caliber gun ports for the wing LE are in the box, might need to rescribe the

ammo bay covers and link ejection ports, though.

Edited by LanceB

My experience of the Italeri Corsair's was that they where rather good kits. What does Revell make with this new Corsair´s compared to the Italeri ones?

The biggest issue with the Italeri -4s for some of us were:

they had metal outer wing panels rather than fabric. They used the same wing parts for all of their Corsairs, the -4, -5, -7 and AU-1.

Aft fuselage is not deep enough in profile

Canopy is rather squashed

The Revell kit looks to be MUCH better overall, however the cannon barrels could stand to be much shortened, the kit bits look closer to the barrels of a -1C rather than a -4B or later.

1. Is it the right length?

The -4 was actually a couple of inches shorter than the -1, about 4 inches IIRC.

2. Later engine appears to be catered for.

An attempt was definitely made, yes.

3. I thought the offset bomb carriage was strictly -1a

You mean the wing root pylons, one on each side of the c/l? That was introduced with the -1D and was on all subsequent variants. The -1A only could carry one bomb on the centerline.

The fabric panels , prominent on the white plastic sprues, are not there on the built up model. Looks like Revell has tried to do it on the cheap, with minimum changes from the 1a

They most certainly are! http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/42220/658966.jpg

to be fair, the real -4 was made with minimal changes to the -1D, although looking at the sprues there is room for improvement. The wingroot oil cooler intakes appear to be the same as the -1 (too many vanes, the -4 did not use the wing root intakes for the carburator as the -1 did, and so had fewer vanes, the same style wing root intake as used on the -5) as well as the pilot's bucket seat (the -4 used a vertically-adjusted seat pan with a fixed backrest bolted to the aft cockpit bulkhead, supposedly not a popular design with pilots and only used on the F4U-4 and F8F).

Sorry to bring this up again, so is this new release more an F4U-1D (Corsair IV) than the F4U-4? Or is it a mish mash of the two?

It is more -4 than -1D, however it has some leftovers from the -1D. Notably the cockpit is the floorless type of the -1/-1A &-1D (the -4 had a floor) and it has a one-piece bucket seat. Both could be fixed with a bit of sheet plastic fairly easily. Also, the wing-root intakes are for a -1/-1A/-1D as they have more vanes in them than the -4 did. The wing root intakes for the -1 fed the carburator, intercooler and oil coolers. As the carburator intake was moved to the chin on the -4, -5 and -7 the wing root intakes only fed the intercooler and oil coolers so the number of vertical dividers dropped from 6 on the -1 to 3 on the -4.

-1 intake:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_photographer_thomas_campe/3464025875/in/album-72157617065352451/

-5 intake (same as on -4)

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/f4u-5nl_122189/images/f4u-5nl_122189_27_of_50.jpg

By the way, for those bothered by the wing root intake issue, Eduard did a zoom set for the Italier F4U-4 that includes an insert for the wing root intakes with oil cooler face and the correct number of guide vanes for the intercooler intake. Plus instrument and side panels, the armament control panels that sit on top of the coaming (should be backed up with little blocks of styrene, but as far as I can recall every 1/72 Corsair kit misses these), seat belt and torque links. One will still need to build a cockpit floor out of sheet and fix the seat issue (also easily done out of sheet plastic) but if you don't want to wait for Eduard to do a dedicated set for this kit, this set is your friend:

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/F4U-4-1-72.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=f4u-4

The Aires 1/48 set is a decent guide to what one needs to do about the seat and floor:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev7/6701-6800/rev6701-Aires-4571/00.shtm