Revell 1/72 Stearman Kaydet Weathering Research

Hellucinator

Hello everyone!

I've been doing some 1/1 scale modeling on my home lately so my smaller scale projects are waiting, mostly Heinkel He 111 that I started.. :]

But the problem is I can't keep my hands off of some plastic so I decided I should do a quick and simple build, and my build of choice is Stearman Kaydet by Revell, 1/72 scale.. :]

Now, I need your help!

What I would like to know is what kind of weathering, exhaust stains, mud splashes, paint chipping and general extended usage deterioration could one see on one of these planes back in the day when they were extensively used?

I wouldn't mind overdoing it a little bit, just as long as it is in correct places..

Any photos you may have, suggestions, anything would be helpful! :]

Also, many pictures on the internet show the different propeller color/material..I'm guessing the original used was wooden, and the later restorations feature metal propellers?

Anyway, type in question is N2S, known as the "Yellow Peril", with the tail number/registration as shown on the picture below..

I'm not sure where and on what kind of runway this particular unit was used, maybe that could be a factor in deciding proper weathering too..

N2S-2_NAS_Corpus_Christi_1943.jpg

Any help is very appreciated! :]

Edited by Hellucinator

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe most Navy airfields in the US were of the concrete/macadam variety. Also, being in training commands, the aircraft were kept very clean and relatively free from weathering. Not only were the pilots learning their trades, but so were the maintainers, so lots of junior enlisted were around to keep things cleaned up. ;)

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying these training videos, I'm going through them right now, thanks! :]

I already found some things I'm interested in, I'll get back to you on that soon, and I have yet to watch the "Dive Bomber", hopefully tonight!

Cheers! :]

Edited by Hellucinator

I've recently read The Arnold Scheme about the RAF pilot training programme in the southern US, and the vast majority of the airfields had metalled runways and aprons. The aircraft were kept almost obsessively clean, even during the busiest periods, to fall in with the US Army way of keeping everything neat and tidy. A lot of British trainees felt that some of the training hierarchy didn't actually realise there was a war on.

Another +1 to the above.

One of the best records of the immediately pre-war USN is the film "Dive Bomber". Most of the trainers featured (N3N's) are very clean.

http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=Dive_Bomber

What caught my attention is the grey-green overall Lockheed L10A Electra

Great stills there !!!

Edited by occa