Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk 1b. Small update 09 June 14.

Was'on

For my next build I will be tackling Hasegawa's Hawker Typhoon.

P1010424_zps05c9c73a.jpg

First order of business was to remove the cockpit coaming as per the Barracuda resin instructions...

TYPHOON2_zpsf85d50de.jpg

Before I started this build I was aware of fit issues with the cockpit inserts and after a search of the internet it became apparent that the easiest way of correcting the problem was to glue the inserts to the fuselage sides ensuring that you have a good fit, this will however leave a gap between the fuselage half's that will need filling...

TYPHOON4_zps0a4e988a.jpg

TYPHOON5_zps994f80b2.jpg

TYPHOON6_zps349feddd.jpg

Well that's all I've managed this evening.

See you dreckly

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Was'on

I've managed to spend an hour on my Tiffie. I'm still working on blending in the cockpit inserts and they are getting there slowly I also decided to have a look at the Barracuda Studios resin cockpit and wow it's gonna look good! The fit of the parts is superb and they slot into the fuselage without any need for fettling....

P1010450_zps5a5e7dba.jpg

P1010452_zpsfb560bf8.jpg

P1010453_zps39be070d.jpg

P1010455_zpsee4d0a2a.jpg

....I can't wait to start detailing it :thumbsup:

Well thats all for now

see you dreckly

Iain

• Like 1

That does look like some seriously nice resin. Should make up into a real good cockpit.

All I've done so far is remove it from the casting block and stick it together using tape. I have plenty of reference photos so hopefully I'll be able to do the resin justice.

Yours aye

Iain

Looks great. I have a 3 bladed version here but going to go for a new prop. Have a couple of cutting edge and a jaguar cockpit here as well as a couple of sets of tempest type tailplanes from ultracast.

Looks great. I have a 3 bladed version here but going to go for a new prop. Have a couple of cutting edge and a jaguar cockpit here as well as a couple of sets of tempest type tailplanes from ultracast.

Was'on Alan

The barracuda cockpit is a great fit and very nicely detailed I've got an Ultracast replacement seat and a HGW harness to finish the pit off I'm also going to replace the prop blades and spinner with a resin version. Hopefully tomorrow I can start getting some paint down.

Yours aye

Iain

Was'on

I have managed to spend a little time working on my Typhoon and I've made some head way with the cockpit. I've painted the sidewalls and floor, detailed them and given them a light wash and I've made a start on the IP.

P1010469_zpsdbd0c5f9.jpg

Since the photo was taken I've painted some of the detail in dark grey to try and make the black on black look of the cockpit more interesting.

P1010471_zpsc61943de.jpg

For the IP my tools of choice; Waldron punch and die sets, toffee hammer and Airscale instrument decals (I know that the photo shows placards)

P1010472_zpsd68d51a7.jpg

Select the instrument you want and use the punch and die set to punch them out..

P1010474_zpsa3bfe266.jpg

Now comes the fiddly bit getting the instruments to sit square to the instrument panel..

P1010475_zps2d406de3.jpg

After and hour or so this is how it looked. I've tried to select the right instrument face with varying levels of success (the Airscale decals are very good though) I've still lots to do but it should look ok when its finished (not that you will be able to see much when its all together)

I almost forgot I've finished preparing the cockpit inserts and I think they look pretty good..

P1010456_zps71a401e4.jpg

See you dreckly

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was'on

The title says update - however if you can count what I've done over the past few days as an update its pushing it slightly!!

Ok I have been working on the cockpit, its not finished yet it needs the compass, levers and Sutton harness installing, however I have been working on getting the Barracuda cockpit tub to fit properly and I think I'm there..

Port side..

09JUN14_zpse262aa8b.jpg

Stb side...

P1010520_zpsecd7a8a5.jpg

Looking down into the cockpit (you'll notice I managed to drop the tub and break off the head armor - its not a problem though it was a clean break so its an easy fix)..

P1010524_zpsa553f927.jpg

The seat is painted and ready to go I just need the harness for it.

I've painted the wheels using the 'circle template' method and once again they have turned out ok..

P1010532_zps25b72eb8.jpg

P1010533_zpsbcfe29c5.jpg

P1010537_zps5572802c.jpg

I'm getting there slowly but it seems to be taking forever!

See you dreckly

Iain