Reggiane RE2002 Ariete - Italeri 1:48 - Completed and waiting for good pics!

Hello Britmodellers;

here is my first aircraft WIP on BM: it's the Italeri 1:48 Reggiane RE2002.

The kit box:

box_zpsb72b288f.jpg

The only aftermarket I'll be using:

aftermarket_zps35433700.jpg

First damage (while removing the excess resin):

broken_spine_zps6679cb0e.jpg

Easy fix, anyway, with some CA. See the difference with the kit fuselage spine:

spines_zpsa9c7292c.jpg

Quick dryfit test:

dryfit_1_zps6596813b.jpg

dryfit_2_zps474a4d2a.jpg

There's going to be some work to be done on the wing-to-fuselage joins:

dryfit_3_zpsda3ca0ed.jpg

drifit_4_zps3ffdd28b.jpg

Even more so here:

dryfit_5_zps5420e447.jpg

Opened up the wing gun holes:

gun_hole_2_zpsd569ab2e.jpg

And put a stop for the gun barrel:

gun_hole_3_zps2d7427a0.jpg

Some rescribing (wing gun doors):

rescribing1_zpsf9ae64c2.jpg

Opened the radio access panel and scratch built some details of the internal structure (not much would be seen, but a minimum maybe...)

radio_room_1_zps0c29a72d.jpg

See you for the next update

Edited by giemme
  • Like 4

Hi giemme,

This looks like it should be interesting - and quite a bit of work, judging by those fit issues. :popcorn: Nice work so far.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, the only other Italeri kit I've done recently was much worse, so let's see what comes out from here. Thanks again for stopping by

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes Italeri kits do have some poor fitting parts. I recently made Italeri's MkIX 1/72 Spitfire and was warned in advance about some of it's poor fit issues. It made up into a nice model eventually and I'm sure this one will too.

Yes Italeri kits do have some poor fitting parts. I recently made Italeri's MkIX 1/72 Spitfire and was warned in advance about some of it's poor fit issues. It made up into a nice model eventually and I'm sure this one will too.

Stix, man, I've just gone through your build and I must say I'm impressed! You definitely are in my "1:72 top scratch-builder/detailer" category! :wow:

Cheers

• Like 1

Stix, man, I've just gone through your build and I must say I'm impressed! You definitely are in my "1:72 top scratch-builder/detailer" category! :wow:

Cheers

Thank you giemme but you really are too kind. I look forward to seeing more of your build.

The kit's a horror. Poor fit is one thing, but poor accuracy is another. This has both!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1248154406/Italeri+Re-+2002

Spinner too small, props wrong shape, cowl wrong shape, intake on top too long and does not have correct shape at the front. Cowl machine guns are wrong. Missing the two small bumps behind the cowl. Wrong seat and the pit is junk, perhaps they wanted to use it for something else. Of course the hump is just wrong. Too big too long. The control surfaces are overdone. The wing MG access panels are in the wrong place. The front gear doors are just wrong, the gear itself is a joke. The decals are useless. Poorly printed, white not opaque enough, the cross on the rudder does not fit and the clear background of the RA wing marking is cloudy and thick. Does not have the under-wing bomb racks on Cenni's aircraft.

As to fit, wing to fuselage fit is poor, the cut-out / inserts for the MG acess panels are a crappy fitting joke. The flaps, which are normally up when the aircraft is n the ground, fit poorly in the closed position.

and

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/ity/fogel2002.htm

also a very good build here

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/Re2002/JeanBarby/Re2002_JB_1a.html

As mentioned, this kit needs allot of work to reneder it accurate. Oversizes rivets, too high and too large hump, a wrong slope on the engine cover, a funny cockpit, more of a Re2000 than a 2002, a too large spinner and badly shaped propeller, just to mention a few of the defaults of this kit.

I think the wing is too thick. Looks at photo's in the booklet!

KIt OOB

5664408_orig.jpg

the real thing, note spinner, prop blades, thick wing.....

re2002-2.jpg

the restoration shows how thick the kit wing is as you can see the cross section

IMG_3101.jpg

Note also the quite subtle curve of the lower fuselage as it comes to join the wing root...

compare the unmodified kit again, which is just round. I think this would be tricky to correct! Note how poor the kit fuselage hump is!

1750513_orig.jpg

I got the kit cheap off ebay, the booklet is very good, but also shows what a poor job Italeri made of this... the more you look, the more you will find!

Kit not to hand, so can't dig out to refresh memory.

sorry to be so negative, as you have just started, perhaps trying some corrections is possible, so hope of use?

A possible spinner might be one of the spares that comes in the Tamiya Buffalo, cut back, but that's just a quick eyeball suggestion.

• Like 2

Troy, thank you very much for your comments.

This kit has been in my stash for a while now (got it cheap myself, by the way), so I had the time to do some research and I was already aware of both inaccuracies and fit issues; nevertheless, I decided to give it a go, trying to correct issues where possible (read: where my abilities allow me to).

One of the major issues is the fuselage spine, and since it's the most noticeable one, I went for the QuickBoost correction; the pilot's seat it's another, but since it will be almost invisible at the end, I decided I'll live with that.

As for the decals issues, I plan to paint the white band and the tail cross to sort them out.

All the other things ... well, to tell you the truth, I haven't figured out yet, but for sure I will not try to correct the wings thickness and shape; I actually have a couple of ideas regarding the cowling though, but we'll see during the build.

One thing I noticed during my research is also this: someone wanted to correct the front air intake, trying to have it aligned to the length axis of the aircraft: that is not to be done, because it was intentionally curved to the right, to optimize the air flow coming from the propeller (just in case someone else fancies to build this kit).

Thanks again and stay tuned, I think I can use your help here

Cheers

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

HI

I would really consider trying to thin the wing, it's not difficult, just a 'chore' but it would really help, even if just the trailing edges.

here's a thread on thinning the Eduard Tempest wing

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77475-jaguar-tempest-kit/

Just to show how much of change it can make. If i ever get around to the Re 2002, I'll try this, as I also have a CA Re2001 and Flying Machines Re2005 stashed.. and the thick wing would show up in comparison!

I found a good way on trailing edges is to use a curved knife blade, and work about 3mm in from the edge, which means you can be quite vigorous about scraping, as this is where a lot of material needs to be removed, kit wings are usually basically flat at the railing edge for about 1cm, sanding this is really dull, hence the scraping, and then be a lot more careful about the trailing edge.

I've not got the kit to hand to refresh my memory of it's specifics.

Practice on an old kit first, but many of these things are not too hard once you try. I'll have to have a think about possible replacement spinners as well.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Well, thanks Troy, I learned two new things today: thinning wings and ... the word "chore": I thought I got the sense of it (remember I'm Italian), but after looking for it on the 'net I found that "boring, tedious task" is nothing short than the "wings thinning deal" :banghead:

It does make a lot of difference, I agree with you; still, I'm not sure I want to go into that, I'll have a look at the aircraft drawings and compare them to the kit, to see how much scraping and sanding is needed, and then I'll make up my mind.

Luckily enough, I have an old 1/32 Spit ready for sacrifice, in case I want to practice the technique :winkgrin:

Thanks again

• Like 1

Some serious surgery going on here!! I hope the patient is doing well!

Kind regards,

Stix

Now, the patient is doing quite well, it's me that needed to be very patient to carry out this job :banghead: It took the good part of an evening, and I still have to refine it.

Cheers

Not much time for modelling last weekend, I managed to get something done on the engine:

motore4_zps4f49d5af.jpg

motore6_zpsce24a100.jpg

motore8_zps690ed805.jpg

Here it is where I am at, after a coat of Tamiya Flat Black:

motore10_zps34b4f4f7.jpg

Done also some cockpit dryfit, just to check waht will be seen once everything is closed up:

dryfit_6_zps8c0e7f75.jpg

dryfit_8_zps85c9114e.jpg

I hope to get something more done on the engine the next couple of evenings

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi giemme,

I like the additional wiring you have added to the engine. I always think this kind of additional detail makes the models look more realistic. I look forward to seeng what you do next on the engine.

Cockpit should be good when it's done.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix; next on the engine is some painting, weathering and so on. I tried to reproduce some of the details that are in the booklet and that will be be somewhat visible once the propeller is mounted.

For the cockpit I'm still searching for some good references, even though I've already decided that I won't modify the instrument panel.

Cheers

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Managed to get some more work done on the engine:

motore11_zpsa3ab9afa.jpg

After some more detail painting

motore13_zpsdcad9cf6.jpg

Current stage, with some highlighting

motore15_zpsa5ab65cb.jpg

Next would be a coat of gloss and some washing, and maybe some more highlighting

Cheers

• Like 1

That engine is looking the business! The detailing with the wires really adds to the look. Well done. I look forward to seeing more of what you do to it.

• Like 1

Isn't it a bit far forward of the firewall? (That's a joke...) Wow, you've got the tough challenge of deciding how much to try to fix, but you also appear able to manage. It'll be fun to watch!

bob

• Like 1

Thanks Stix, you'll have to wait till next weekend now

Isn't it a bit far forward of the firewall? (That's a joke...)

@bob: thanks man, that caused a good laugh, I tried to imagine a completed aircraft with a firewall that far back from the engine :winkgrin:

Thanks again for stopping by, stay tuned

Cheers

• Like 1

This time it was my turn with a bank holiday :winkgrin:

Engine completed

motore17_zps5d829bb9.jpg

Scratch-built rudder pedals

pedals1_zps831fafde.jpg

and in place:

pedals2_zps196193d4.jpg

Cockpit so far:

pit5_zps5f0f57f6.jpg

Radio door detail (borrowing the idea form Stix):

radio_room_3_zpsb64795c8.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with this one, I'm considering ripping it off and redoing it.

Still plenty to do on the cockpit, of course. Well, I guess one can say I'm not that quick as a modeler :banghead:

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi giemme,

Glad you've got a Bank Holiday to get some kit building done!

That cockpit is looking excellent!! Can I please ask what paints you used for the instrument panel and detailing on the side walls? - looks very effective. Also are you going to add any details to the dials? I managed to get a single white line on each of mine just to represent the pointer. I had to use a very fine brush and hold my breath for each one! Only had to over-paint one and redo it.

Engine is looking great too. Why aren't you happy with the radio door detail?

Hope you have a good day.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix;

to answer your questions:

Cockpit: the base is a mix of Tamiya Interior Green and Flat White (almost 50/50), airbrushed. The black is Lifecolor Flat Black, brushed on.Then I did a drybrush first with Lifecolor Flat White (especially on the green) and then with some Silver of which I don't recall the brand (anyone would do). All of them acrylics, of course. I've already put some clear on the instruments panel (no pics), then I'll add a few washes, for shadows and to enhance depth.

Dials: I'm using the kit decals for these, although I tried your very same technique on other models and it worked ok. In this case, there is one single decal per dial, so I'll stick with that.

Radio door: well, first of all, the three holes aren't spaced correctly (didn't measure them, I trusted my eyeballing :banghead: ). Plus, they aren't exactly holes: I sort of "scribed" them using a pointy tool; in doing this, I almost broke the plastic strip (see pic below, first hole from the left)

radio_room_4_zps7629e061.jpg

Still, I have no clue on how to fix it; thinking of stripping it off and redoing it.

Thanks again for watching

Cheers

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Looking Good Giemme. Molto Bene!

Your scratch building is really making a difference.

I find Italeri kit's can be hit and miss! I have come across some good one's but I'm making an FW190 that really is a struggle!

Funnily enough though with some poor fit issues but softish plastic and my Tamiya extra thin glue it's starting to look okay.

I'm looking forward to your build as I like the Italian aircraft and the schemes.......always interesting.

Cin Cin!

• Like 1

Thanks Winenut. It's my second Italeri kit so far, after returning to the hobby, and I can see the same issues on both. Is there any you've done that you would recommend, in terms of being a "hit"?

Italian aircrafts do look good; sadly, not much choice in 1 48. :weep:

Ciao