Choroszy 1/72 Parnall Plover resin - restored links

In 1922 the Air Ministry issued Specifications 6/22 for a single-seat carrier-borne naval fighter. Fairey Flycatcher was the winner, but small batch of Plovers was ordered too and they saw limited squadron service during 1923-1924. N9702 was one of the few production machines and it is represented here as it appeared in Martlesham Heath during performance trials in June 1924.

The resin kit was built almost OOB with a few scratch-built and photo-etched details. The build thread was posted here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953355-choroszy-172-parnall-plover-resin/?hl=plover. Hand brushed with Revell and Humbrol enamel paints. Serial numbers are the kit’s own decals. Fuselage roundels by Modeldecal, wing roundels from my decal dungeon. As usual - no rigging.

Warning for potential builders of the same kit. In addition to the mid-section struts issue described in the build thread, I found another snag when I researched for the correct size and position of the wing roundels (so by far too late). The interplane struts are positioned too close to the fuselage, they should be one rib closer to the wingtips. In this the kit follows the Putnam drawings and they are wrong here. I did not have the morale to dismantle the wings once again, so I left it unaltered in my kit. I will be more careful next time I build a Choroszy Plover :-).

Patrik

P5170050.jpg

P5170046.jpg

P5170045.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 14

How nice to see an example of a Parnall aircraft. We live in YATE where these little known aircraft were built, in fact our house is on the site of the long gone factory sports fields.

Parnall is a company that is pretty much sidelined in British aviation histories and I think it all the more interesting for that. Whilst none of its models enjoyed great success some were very interesting if not a little innovative eg the plane designed for launch from a submarine....!

It's a lovely little build Patrick, well done! I think I may have to attempt one myself one day.

TonyS

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

minutes ago-17th of march 2018- I received exactly the same kit from poland .signs look good because I know now that attention must be paid to struts position! thank you very much ,my dear friend ,for your warning. you made something beautifull of your kit I think! I am afraid it will be hard if not impossible for me to build a more or less  on equal footing  standing model as yours, but
I 'll see where my ship will run into the beach ,as we in the lowlands use to say in these circumstances. story will be continued ,I hope.

Edited by Emily-Emma silverscreen

• 11 months later...