Super Frelon Heller 1/35 scale

Hi

I have put the Lynx on hold and started on the Super Frelon from Heller..an old kit by todays standard but a lot can be done to make an interesting build. I was lucky to find the rare photoetched set from Mathect for it.

I have so far done on it the following:

Floor plates and rivets in cockpit area.

Added details to collectives and reshaped cyclic sticks.

Detailed the controls links in the small cabin corridor.

Slow process due to the extreme heat in Los Angeles lately..its been 106 everyday and my model room/garage has no AC...so modeling early mornings only.

computer crashed again...cant post photos just yet but soon

oliver

• Like 2

This will be a fascinating build! :popcorn: The Super Frelon is just dripping with super detailing opportunities which, doubtless you are about to take full advantage of.

Martin

Yes

A lot to do on this one.Almost everything must be created.its gonna be a long build im afraid

oliver

So no change there then! :winkgrin:

Martin

• Like 1

I have never seen one of these built before, so I am watching with great interest!

Wonderful work so far, keep it coming! :)

Nice and crisp details so far! I like your attention for all such micro details.

What`s your reference to upgrade the Super Frelon?

Hi

I have a Super Frelon book that i bought from France. Great photos on howcthe Super Frelon came to be but lacking on recent photos.

A guy in France has been helping with some uodated photos here and there.

Oliver

This is going to be brilliant!

I have this kit in my stash. Unfortunately I got it when I was very young and had very little build experiance and I totally messed up the interior. I'm afraid it's beyond repair... It's a shame really, because it is such a rare kit. Maybe one day I'll have another go at it and will try to scratch a new interior.

This is going to be brilliant!

I have this kit in my stash. Unfortunately I got it when I was very young and had very little build experiance and I totally messed up the interior. I'm afraid it's beyond repair... It's a shame really, because it is such a rare kit. Maybe one day I'll have another go at it and will try to scratch a new interior.

Hi pete

Yeah its still a good kit even after all these years.

What did u mess up in the cockpit?

Oliver

No disasters in the cockpit. I painted it flat black and added the kit decals. Obviously it is nowhere near your work but still salvageable. The one part I really messed up is the cargo area. I tried to imitate the sound insulation padding on one side of the interior walls, then superglued it to one fuselage half. I then realised that the padding doesn't look right, but when I tried to remove the wall from the fuse half it broke into pieces. I can't beleive how stupid I was back then (not that I'm so much smarter now)...

I must add that the fuse halves were badly warped and wouldn't fit together. The whole tail section was twisted. I had to separate the tail from the rest of the fuselage, hold the fuse halves together with rubber bands and give it a hot water/hair dryer treatment. It solved the problem more or less, and the fuselage is still in good shape. I think it's still buildable with a bit of effort, but needs a new cargo area.

It is the 'Exocet' boxing BTW. The naval version with the funny nose-like radome. I wanted to build it with tail and blades folded, sporting the two tone gray marines camoflage. It is obviously beyond my skills, but seeing your lynx build, I'm sure you could do an excellent job.

Keep up the good work!

Hi peter.

Have considered contacting Heller for replacement parts???

My fuselage is also warped in the tail but i will be folding the tail so no problem there.

I was looking at the cabin area today about the padding. I think i will cutting rectangle pieces of styrene and use that as padding material....just like my photos.

The main headache will be detailing the transmission,engines and all the goodies about the cargo area.

Glad to hear u like the Lynx..

Oliver