Alclad II spraying problem

due148

Guys,

I am new to this paint Alclad II and have been having issue with their high shine finishes. I have used their black gloss base on plastic spoons to test the colour but somehow I could not get that shiny surface. Lots of spots surfaced up too. I have viewed the videos online and read about it. I think I have followed what I was supposed to do.. light mist ... etc...

Appreciate if you guys could share some guidance on how to use this paint. I really want that shiny finish this paint is capable of.

At the moment I am thinking it could be static or dust or bad surface prep....

The second last photo was probably overspraying the paint...

Thanks a lot,

DB9485E6-B3D7-4EC4-8F49-6DC6041335E5_zps

5D854B11-8B64-4FA8-832D-73099CC9A0D1_zps

126202B3-F6D7-462A-99EF-75605EA796C5_zps

6AFF2DEE-5E41-4871-A24D-B44DF4BE2008_zps

40C38E6B-EA8A-4086-A692-2BAD4C611480_zps

6EE48147-2D19-4976-880F-C062BE762E73_zps

9D8EE6A6-85FD-4358-9CCC-870B54FBBC78_zps

E812C029-5FCF-442D-B6B1-18EF80111B84_zps

What hardware did you use ? What settings did you use & number of coats of paint?

How glossy was the Black and what paint is it?

To practice polished shades you are probably better spraying alclad over a clean piece of glass.

Two fine coats at 15 psi.

Paul

What hardware did you use ? What settings did you use & number of coats of paint?

How glossy was the Black and what paint is it?

To practice polished shades you are probably better spraying alclad over a clean piece of glass.

Two fine coats at 15 psi.

Paul

I'm using neo for Iwata and neo air at high setting so that should be about 15psi.

The base was very glossy and is alclad gloss black base itself.

I'll give it a try on a piece of glass as you suggested later tonight

Thanks,

I had some more tries since I had some spoons left anyway. The result was better than last time although the chrome is still grainy; not that shiny chrome surface :( ... I will wait to the base coat on the glass to cure and will try that tomorrow...

39974466-7CC8-4141-9FCF-78A9E4F70E13_zps

F16703E5-D3FD-4EC1-ACDD-964839142DE9_zps

The bottom two are certainly getting there.

I'm not a massive fan of the Alclad Gloss Black Base... I find that good old Humbrol Enamel works well.

I've even used Halfords Enamel in aerosol cans, that worked well too, but is a little expensive.

no water trap fitted in my neo air as my other Iwata compressor is broken :( could this be the cause? I am getting a new compressor and will see if it makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had more practice and been trying to spray really light coats but I am facing with dusty problem :(. I'm really not sure why it keeps becoming dusty like this. I have changed compressor so now it has a water trap and spraying around 12-15psi. Ia m in Bangkok and it is hot and humid here at the moment. Could this be the cause?

Appreciate any help I can get,

Photo 1: first very light coat

photo1_zpsf72a6fd0.jpg

Photo 2: second coat

photo2_zps7ba3c609.jpg

Photo 3: 3rd coat

photo3_zps4362d33d.jpg

Photo 4: polished with lens cleaning cloth

photo4_zps6d3905c0.jpg

Photo 5: 4th coat

photo5_zps1485cff2.jpg

Photo 6: 5th coat

photo6_zps433059ba.jpg

Photo 7: polished with lens cleaning cloth

photo7_zps8fc2fa3c.jpg

You have lowered your pressure so I would think it's not that.You could be spraying to far away, the paint is drying before it hits the spoon.

You want it to be going on wet, but not so much that you get runs

It's the Alclad black base. It is notorious for having bad batches that don't cure EVER. Avoid it. I ruined a Tamiya 1/32 Mustang using it. If you do enough searching around the forums you will quickly find that people have problems with the Alclad black base.

In fact. I bought a second bottle of it to try again after the P-51 disaster and I just spent all my bench time last night stripping it off after it failed to cute after several days.

You can use something like Tamiya or Gunze gloss black. I actually prefer to decant Krylon spray paint. I tried some if that in a pinch and it sprayed some beautifully I use it all the time now as a black base.

• Like 1