Mine arrived yesterday.

14225287361_f6d3fdc64d_c.jpg

Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Nice big decal sheet:

14041817458_f118f1d200_c.jpg

Struggling to get good photos of the white plastic, but here are the new fuselage halves:

14228481365_f0bbcc4c99_c.jpg

Clear parts:

14041891009_499826cfbc_c.jpg

Andrew

• Like 1

^ quality!!

Looks very nice indeed. I love the decal sheet. I'll be placing my orders soon and will also look to the aftermarket guys for some Cathay Pacific, Saudia and Etihad (I've already got the BA sheet waiting...).

I'm looking forward to getting mine.....clear the bench!!!

I would have thought that they cut some new moulds, but anything's possible. Perhaps they foresee as much interest in the -8I kit as the airlines have shown in the real thing... :shrug:

Besides, is it really possible to temporarily modify the moulds, I'd have thought most modifications would be one-way (I'm certainly no expert, though).

Andrew

The molds are completely new.

Surprising they did an extra sprue for the small windows though. Quite pointless in my opinion, especially since most of their airline kits have no clear parts for the cabin windows at all. Could have used the money for the tooling to make a sprue with Winglets for the A32S kits or improved 737NG engines...

I'm not an airliner fan, but it looks pretty good.

Garantee you though there will be someone out there that will whinge about an incorrect angle on the nose or a panel line that is out by 0.0004mm and thereby stating that Revell got it completely wrong and that it wouldn't be worth buying.

You know who you are....

• Like 4

As a small update to my own question and for those who may have been remotely interested, having just bought my first kit, it appears as though there's a few cut'n'shut marks on the inside of the fuselage halves. So, perhaps RV have just temporarily altered their mould.

Other than that, the beautiful decal sheet is so well printed and with great details like the regional coats of arms - which one to choose? - and the servicing stencils, it's a great kit.

Thanks Revell!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Looking at the two kits, I think you're right. Some of the tooling and abrasion marks on the inside are identical, also they both carry the 04275 kit number of the -8i kit. It seems a slightly odd choice in a way - while there seem to be inserts for the upper deck and window line, there are many changes to door outlines on the external surface which fall outside these areas - I don't know if these are reversible. Anyway, I'm sure they had their reasons for doing it this way. Perhaps sales of the -8i kit were disappointing?

It's a slight shame that, once again, they chose not to include window frame decals to go with the clear window parts - it's not like they would have taken up that much room on the sheet. Mind you, Revell seem to have a thing about not including clear window decals in any of their 747 kits. Luckily, I discovered recently that AA do some universal Boeing window decals (including clear windows) which will suit the 744, but I haven't found anything for the 748 yet.

Andrew

I think I must have more conservative tastes (my wife is nodding as I type this) :winkgrin: . Most special schemes seem to be a bit on the gimmicky side to me... :jealous:

Andrew

Know how you feel but I just like them for some reason

This is by far the best looking 747 - it harks back to the good old 747-100's and makes up for the stumpy SP.

I have had the pleasure of seeing these at work on a regular basis and although the BA cargo aircraft have now left us :( we have gained the odd visit from Cargolux and we still get the Panalpina liveried aircraft.

From a kit making perspective, I'm not an airliner fan (ironic really as they pay my wages!) but this kit makes my palms itch...just like the 1:48 Revell Mistel in The Works this afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...

Building this beaut right now. So far so good, the fit is top notch and it's a quick build so far because of no landing gear to make (wheels up). And for a 1/144, she's a big bugger too.

I'm glad Revell supplied a stand, the thought of painting all those wheels.

Not sure whether to stick with the box decals or aftermarket. B.A. Global looks nice.

Building this beaut right now. So far so good, the fit is top notch and it's a quick build so far because of no landing gear to make (wheels up). And for a 1/144, she's a big bugger too.

I'm glad Revell supplied a stand, the thought of painting all those wheels.

Not sure whether to stick with the box decals or aftermarket. B.A. Global looks nice.

I'm gonna go ba I think but gonna have the wheels down