Korean War/M*A*S*H Diorama Planning

gorilla

I'm currently planning to do a full Diorama of Korean War front line area as well as a full copy of the M*A*S*H set.

I know this will mean a heck of a lot of scratch building and a lot of referencing throughout the internet and that. I'm sure I will get some great advice and help from the members here for this. I sort of have the list of vehicles I need - thats the easy bit.

• Willys Jeep M38
  • Dodge WC 54 Truck
  • Dodge WC 27 Truck
  • 1954 Ford Bus
  • Bell H 13 Sioux/Bell 47 Helicopter

All preferably in 1/35 scale, I have tracked down the Jeep, the WC 54 and of course the Sioux. So not too fussed about them the 1954 Ford Bus is non existent (well I'm stuck) so looking to scratch build one or if anyone knows of a variant that's close that would be a great help.

I'm kind of also looking for advise relating to materials that's good for doing tent buildings the final bit of advice I'm looking for is whats the best way to get sizes of buildings ect that need to be scratch built. Was going to roughly estimate sizes and work from that but not sure if it would work.

A big project for me, plan to make it last a long time slowly adding to it.

• Like 2

What Paul said. One of the best creations ever to be shown, and still pertinent today.

There are some maps of the set here: http://www.mash4077tv.com/features/camp/

And some pictures of the site taken recently, with a rusting jeep and ambulance still present: http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/mash-hike-malibu-creek-state-park/

I'd love to visit there one day,

I'm sure I've seen a description somewhere of how to represent canvas tents, but I can't remember where. I think there were suggestions to use either absorbent paper soaked in thin PVA, or some kind of foil.

Best of luck with the build, and please share pictures of your progress.

Paul

• Like 1

Yes, There are several variations on the Arii bonnet bus.

It is 1/32nd though. About 15 quid from the bay.

Tents, Wire frame & tissue paper/kitchen towel

with (carefully applied) diluted PVA glue.

Simply size against a figure until it looks right.

• Like 3

OK guys, a wee bit of a second opinion here.

Just been working out sizes for this and from my calculations we have

All square tents (SWAMP ect) is around 12' x 12' which converting to 1/35 scale works out around the 4'' x 4''

Mess tent 36' x 12' converts to 12.34'' x 4''

These are calculated using a Jeep thats in shot and using sizes of that

Doors I have them being roughly 6' x 2' so converting has them at 2.06'' x 0.69''

Just working on the hospital sizes now and trying to find a way to reference the sizes.

So far by my calculations this could be a huge base, think if my calculations are right it will be around 6' square.

Great stuff. I've been watching the whole 11 seasons on True Entertainment free sat 142/ free view 61. I've been watching roughly 14-20 episodes a week. Im not well really !! And the hard drive cant hold all of them so I panic watch!

I assume you know this but series one starts again on Monday 7-8 pm two episodes and 10 am S 10,thats 2 episodes.Its also on True Movies S 5 @ 5-6pm,not sure if that one is still running. AND Sunday nights 7-9pm S 4, x 4 episodes They are currently (and you might have just missed the last 3 specials. The last ever M*A*S*H 3 hour film, the story of M*A*S*H and the M*A*S*H reunion both those are nearly 3 hours too.They've been repeated 3 times each so far this week. So there you go,fill yer boots!

I was thinking about building a M*A*S*H set but I've got something on thats going to take some time.

On the bus.... I'm sure I've seen an American School bus somewhere of the same era. Monogram did one but I cant remember the model year it represented.might have been 1/24th though.

And dont forget the compete Jeep bits that Radar aquired for sending back to the States.Depending on your M*A*S*H era you might need Sherman Potter's horse.

Its probably the only film TV spin off thats better than the original. Makes me cry lauging!

Can't wait to see your build/wip

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Lost count of how many times I have watched mash, I have them all on DVD, except the original movie.

Anyway received a delivery of 2 Sioux helicopters today, didn't realise I ordered the kit that can be both gunship or medivac thought I would have had to do a wee bit conversion so that's a mini result.

I've started to mock up tents/buildings out of card just now just so I can get the main board made.

One thing though I think I need someone to give me a slap around the head as I've been thinking of doing the movie set as it would be more realistic to a proper mash unit but that means another set of 6 tents I think and would make the whole board to be around 7' x 7'.

• Like 1

I watched the very first two M*A*S*H last night (again) the erly ones were funnier for most of the time as opposed to funny in places the further the years went on.

I've only seen the Film twice,when it came out and on TV in the eighties.I didn't like the film that much,the TV version knocks it for six. IMO.

BTW what was that Helicopter in ep 1, (the General's transport). It could have been a Sioux with cladding on the boom, it was a Fairchild Hiller looking thing going by the canopy shape.

Edited by bzn20

Yep the early series with Henry Blake, Frank Burns and Trapper John McIntyre were some of the best. I agree the movie wasn't as good as the series.

It is a Fairchild, you get a better shot of it earlier in the episode when Henry is leaving for his meeting. I think it also makes a few other appearances throughout the series.

• Like 1

Yeah,I watched again and could see it was a Fairchild,thanks!

OK its just a mock up but here it is anyway.

IMG_20140522_173308_zpsfeaa67cb.jpg

I have made up all my tents/buildings out of card for now to get an idea of size for it and if my sizes work out. So far I would say it does work out but may tweak things when I start to do the build.

On order now are 2 sheets of 12mm MDF, Think I now need to think about where to build this up as currently the living room is my sort of work station. Now I would say my bed room is a good idea but its kind of tight for space.

Going to keep this thread as my WIP one, so hope mods are ok with it here (don't know where else to stick it).

Bit of advice needed now as to what is best material for sculpting the ground out of. The hill I will sculpt out of styrofoam insulation (get it cheap) but what to cover this with? I'm looking at clay but unsure what type air drying or normal clay what do others use?

Not sure about clay. I might be wrong but trying to get clay to stick to foam If you "spead the clay, the foam would depress and spring back,crack off when dry,not flexible and the weight

How about coating the foam with thinned PVA? (even thin papier mache layer)Should be Ok for painting etc. after.

Thats some size BTW. You should have got a pitch at the Chelsea Flower show! And the gold medal goes to..............The 1951 Korean back yard!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Not sure about clay. I might be wrong but trying to get clay to stick to foam If you "spead the clay, the foam would depress and spring back,crack off when dry,not flexible and the weight

How about coating the foam with thinned PVA? (even thin papier mache layer)Should be Ok for painting etc. after.

Thats some size BTW. You should have got a pitch at the Chelsea Flower show! And the gold medal goes to..............The 1951 Korean back yard!

Didn't think about that with the clay and foam.

I didn't think about the size at first but when I set it out it was one of those moments of oh f**k (awaits mods to shoot me) moments. When you see 6' x 6' set out its huge.

So, take a tip from railway modelling maybe?

Just do one end of the set. Or a corner.

The buildings/tents at the back?

Low relief, Just build the frontage.

Add a backing board showing hills etc.

Foliage fills the gaps & adds depth.

Others can be shrunk down slightly and

not be too noticeable.

Add more baseboards at a future date perhaps?

Ground cover? Is plaster bandage still available?

Cheap, light & covers anything.

Pete

The plaster bandages were nicked series one episode 11.

Don't panic...Radar will sort it out!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Just found this it looks like being a massive but interesting project.

As regards ground cover how about Celuclay a papier mache base material you mix with water coloured to suit your terrain.

Roger

• Like 1