1/32 HP Halifax kit...

Kagemusha

Thanks Kagemusha.

Vacuform?

Source: http://www.boystownmilitaryminiatures.com/BMM_IND_AIR_LEGENDS_132_EXCLUSIVE_HANDLEY_PAGE_HALIFAX__PRE-ORDER_ONLY/p1144420_12196212.aspx

handley.jpg

PLEASE NOTE

WE DONT HAVE ANYMORE INFORMATION TO GIVE YOU ON THIS PROJECT AT THIS TIME SO PLEASE DONT E MAIL ABOUT IT WE WILL GIVE MORE INFORMATION AS SOON AS WE CAN RELEASE IT

IT IS EXCLUSIVE TO US AND WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE TO OUR CLIENTS ONLY AND ALSO THERE IS A LIMITATION OF 1 KIT PER HOUSEHOLD

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Saw a scratch build 1:32 Halifax at Hendon this afternoon - its a big whatsit!!!

If you mean the one on the Kent stand, it's the one that Tom Probert has featured on here. So it's only about 80% scratch-built - the rest is ID Models' vacform. But yes, it's a big old brute. We're thinking of giving him his own table in future so that people talk about something else.

• Like 5

This is most interesting... but if you google 'Air Legends' die-cast models appear... possibly they have decided to venture into 1/32nd?

I can recall seeing die-cast B-17s and B-24s in 1/48th... but 1/32nd... I shudder to think about the weight, let alone price if this is the case!

Tom

I wouldn't get too excited. I doubt it's injection plastic probably vacform.

That's all the more reason to get excited!!

• Like 1

Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't touch a vacform kit with a barge pole.

You're missing out ;)

They're the most fun one can have - once you've been bitten you'll never look back!

Its something that has fascinated me but I've never found the subject matter that interested me enough to give it a try. Your build looked superb, but ENORMOUS! Then again that's not unusual for your projects lol

I can think of whole raft of vac forms that are far superior to injection moulded kits Koster, Dynavector and the later Rareplanes (under the Hannants imprint)spring to mind there are others too.

It's also a huge assumption this is a vac too - more likely to be multi-media in my view.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

I can think of whole raft of vac forms that are far superior to injection moulded kits Koster, Dynavector and the later Rateplanes (under the Hannants) spring to mind there are others too.

It's also a huge assumption this is a vac too - more likely to be multi-media in my view.

Marty...

The only thing I can think of that might be superior is if the profile is more accurate. Other than that injection plastic is far superior as a medium. For a start I've got a few vacform canopies I bought a few years ago and 3 out of 5 of them have gone yellow.

Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't touch a vacform kit with a barge pole.

You & me both mate!! I hate the wretched things! In any case, it's a moot point. Model is completely unaffordable

Allan

For a start I've got a few vacform canopies I bought a few years ago and 3 out of 5 of them have gone yellow.

That can be a common problem with older vacs and results from the type of plastic used - some can yellow over time and unfortunately it's non-reversible. Tigger Wilkes however uses a type of clear plastic that will not yellow though so it depends on what's used in the manufacturing process. Vac canopies (the non-yellowing variety!) provide a fantastic scale thickness though; far better than an injection moulded canopy could, especially in the smaller scales.

The main reason I build vacs is for the challenge - they've taught me a lot and I absolutely love overcoming the problems they can send my way. As others have mentioned though, some are as easy to build as injection kits once they're out of the backing sheet. But, at the end of the day it's whatever floats yer boat... :)

The only thing I can think of that might be superior is if the profile is more accurate. Other than that injection plastic is far superior as a medium. For a start I've got a few vacform canopies I bought a few years ago and 3 out of 5 of them have gone yellow.

Well thats simply not true. There are plenty of vacs that are superior in accuracy to IM kits, the Echelon 1/32 Hunter and Lightning springs to mind, one could argue the former two are the most accurate kits produced of either example in any scale! The Dynavector TSR-2 beats the Airfix 48 scale kit hands down and is arguably easier to build too, there are many others too. The later generation use a clear acetate used in vacs does not yellow. Sorry chaps just setting the record straight.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Well thats simply not true. There are plenty of vacs that are superior in accuracy to IM kits, the Echelon 1/32 Hunter and Lightning springs to mind, one could argue the former two are the most accurate kits produced of either example in any scale! The Dynavector TSR-2 beats the Airfix 48 scale kit hands down and is arguably easier to build too, there are many others too. The later generation use a clear acetate used in vacs does not yellow. Sorry chaps just setting the record straight.

Marty...

Well I think it is true. As I said the profile on some vacs might be more accurate but if there's a choice between an accurate injection plastic aircraft and a vacform one I can guarantee you most people will go for the injection plastic one.

Well I think it is true. As I said the profile on some vacs might be more accurate but if there's a choice between an accurate injection plastic aircraft and a vacform one I can guarantee you most people will go for the injection plastic one.

That's Fair Dinkum, and it's a simple case of choice - but to say Vacs cannot be more accurate than IM kits is not!

Marty...

That's Fair Dinkum, and it's a simple case of choice - but to say Vacs cannot be more accurate than IM kits is not!

Marty...

But I wasn't saying that if you look. I said the only advantage I can see is if the vacform's got a more accurate profile than a plastic kit which is inaccurate. Otherwise if the same subject is available in plastic and it's accurate most people will get the plastic one.

Edited by SeaVenom

Having built a number of vacforms, the accuracy of the finished item often relies more on the skill of the modeller, than for an injection moulded kit (assuming the same starting accuracy). For example, I have found it challenging to ensure that the aero-foil section and wing thickness are the same, and it is too easy to end up with parts that have had a little too much removed when getting rid of the backing sheet.

Peter