1/48 Harrier GR.5

Hi everyone,

My entry to the STGB will be the Revell/Hasegawa Harrier GR7/9 converted to a GR5. I first saw these back in 1990 at RAF Gutersloh when i was on summer camp with the ATC. Happy daze.

HarrierGR5002_zpse9d9c61c.jpg

Some reference material...

HarrierGR5001_zpsfa33d194.jpg

And some goodies. I'll be using the AMRAAM conversion set for the nose.

HarrierGR5003_zps3ce4933d.jpg

A choice of 3 seats. AMRAAM's, Pavla's and Aires. I'll probably go with the Pavla one as i think it look the most like a MB Mk.12 to me.

HarrierGR5004_zpsfa9c7db4.jpg

And a couple of the aforementioned ATC Summer Camp shots...

scan_zps5b4d50a7.jpg

scan0003_zps7f022eff.jpg

Hopefully i will be starting this one over the w/end.

• Like 4

Hi Rich. If the Aires seat is rightmost in your picture, I'd say this looks a little more realistic than the middle one (in which there are quite a few shape errors). That being said, the PEC is in the wrong place, so you can't have it all! :)

Kirk

Great!

I wanted to add a 1:48 GR5 in Pegasus Test livery but found I have less time for building than I hoped so will decide later this month if I give it a try. Anyway - I will follow your entry with interest.

Rene

Thanks for the interest Guys.

Re the seat, I originally was going to go with the Aires seat, but it is more like 1/72! It is quite small compared to the other 2. I can live with the inaccuracies on the Pavla one.

Anyway progress has been made.

First off I worked on the pit, this is a combination of Aires, Eduard and a bit of my own work!

The thingies on the port side of the coaming.

HarrierGR5007_zps9e8bce3a.jpg

And the map holder on the starboard side.

HarrierGR5006_zps07c9c7e8.jpg

Almost finished!

HarrierGR5008_zpsd38d1baa.jpg

Ignore the seat, its still not finished!

HarrierGR5009_zpsf11ae6d0.jpg

I decided to open up the aircon ducts.

HarrierGR5010_zpsce5ff81c.jpg

HarrierGR5011_zpsde68cbe5.jpg

AV-8B hole filled and formation lights reduced.

HarrierGR5012_zpsf0ed209b.jpg

Blanked off the open space behind the nozzles.

HarrierGR5013_zpsfef20ca7.jpg

When i was measuring up the AMRAAM nose i noticed that it didnt match up with the panel lines on the Hasegawa kit, It was made for the Monogram kit. So i had to make the cut just forward of the the panel line, After a bit of sanding it was finally ready to match up with the resin, trying to line it up was another matter but i got there in the end.

HarrierGR5015_zps6d5b57c9.jpg

I couldnt resist a test fit of all the bits together. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm using the Aires wheel bay aswell which was abit of a pain to get it to fit, lots of grinding going on.

HarrierGR5016_zps47957749.jpg

HarrierGR5017_zps9a7b9d59.jpg

I'm now thinking of choosing different markings for this one, maybe 3Sqn or 233OCU, not sure yet.

Cheers

• Like 3

Rich,

Some nice detailing going into that pit! However, the angle of the nose looks a little off to me, it seems to come down too steeply and doesn't curve up enough on the underside. I don't know if it'd be possible, but maybe cutting along the first panel line on the plastic from the underside and inserting a wedge of plasticard might go some way to making it look less off?

Regards,

Mark.

Mark, just been looking at few GR.5 profiles and I think your right.

Out with the razor saw! Wish me luck.

Thanks

Good Luck! Keeping my fingers crossed it all works out coz I really want to see a green GR5 in the gallery!

Mark.

Blimey - demist tubes and bleed air ducts!! Fabulous stuff!

Love the GR5 IP and moving map; you should make a master and see if Ian at Heritage is interested. The little indent near the base of the central pedestal just allows for clearance on the control column and is grey.

Dunno if it is moulded on the resin but the GR5 version of the Mk.12 seat does not have the box on the RH upper seat pan (it's for Night Vision Goggle separation) or the (tiny) leg retract line release lever aft of the height adjustment switch on the left hand outboard "leg" of the pan.

Kirk

PS/ The nose extension piece aft of the nosecone ahead of the bulkhead is actually a continuous part of the skin; don't be fooled into leaving a panel line.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, a little progress has been made and i mean a little.

Nose has been 'adjusted'. I razor sawed along the panel line then put a little wedge of styrene between the cut then filled the rest with liquid styrene.

Whilst this was drying I decided to join the front fuselage together. This was when disater struck, when clamped the halves together i ran some thin superglue in the gaps. Job well done or so i thought.

Little did i know that the sides of the fuselage were so thin from sanding that a tiny crack had appeared when i put the clamp in place, yes you've guessed it. When i tried to remove the clamp it was stuck to the plastic, I plucked up the courage and pulled it away, luckily the damage was minimal, nothing a little Mr Surfacer 500 couldn't fix.

Anyway this how the nose looks now, much better me thinks. You can see where I've filled and the tiny crack running down to the front U/C bay!

HarrierGR5020_zpsfb969933.jpg

Hopefully that's it for the horror stories and I can move this along now...

Cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since my last post, a little more progress made. i have to say this one is fighting me all the way. This is the first time I've made a Hasegawa Harrier and have to say the fit isn't great, either that or I've done something wrong.

Anyway on to the pics, I decided the add a little rivet detail the the kit, if only to add a bit of interest to an otherwise pretty drab colour scheme. I tried to make it look subtle and not jump out too much.

HarrierGR5021_zpsb7f781ec.jpg

HarrierGR5028_zpsccc3fabe.jpg

HarrierGR5022_zps79c72425.jpg

HarrierGR5029_zpseb51c17e.jpg

You can see from this picture my attempt to try and blend the LERX into the intakes with some Mr Surfacer 500. This has now been blended and the intake fronts have been added. More filler required!

HarrierGR5031_zpsce299a67.jpg

I think I'm going to struggle to get this finished before the deadline but I'll keep plugging away...

Cheers

• Like 3