1/48 Monofix SHAR FRS.1

Got it Phil! Thanks, prolly missing a few other scribes. Going to review the drawing in SAM's SHAR book before priming & do what I can. Working small access panels & other glue ons tonight.

IMG_3181_zpsac2246ee.jpg

The fences took an evening to fabricate and and set in place. A little clear colored resin for the nav lights.

IMG_3182_zps4ce63cba.jpg

IMG_3184_zpsafd643dd.jpg

Here is a little FYI: The Q sprue for the Hasegawa F-111 has a clear window for the Pavetack Pod. If you did not use this part, it has a shape similar to the starboard side camera window. It just needs a little reduction, thinning & polishing.

IMG_3185_zps2d8f1574.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work on this.

A question from someone with no knowledge of these kits. Why substitute the Monogram fuselage? Accuracy, finesse..?

Certainly going to look good when finished.

Matt

Both kits are old molds by today's or even the 1990's standard. The shape of both kits are remarkably accurate, however the Monogram kit is superior in terms of surface detail and overall mold quality. If you have both, the difference is obvious. Saying that, some nice Airfix SHARS have been made but extra effort will be required. There are chaps here who have outstanding Airfix SHAR builds.

I got lucky and picked up some 2nd hand Monogram AV-8A kits at a couple shows for $5.00 each and decided to go this route. I was going to do an FA.2 but Kinetic announced theirs so I went with the FRS.1. Lets hope they do justice to the early SHARs, but this is my plan B.

John

• Like 1

Installed the Pavla intakes and they fit well, a little Tamiya Polyester Putty on the inner fuselage joints to blend the joint. Externally a little smoothing and CA to seal and smooth the seam. Really coming together now, going to pin the Pavla Stabs next, already reworked fuselage stab joint to accept new pins. Should be ready to prime after a few antnnae are added and some masking.

John

IMG_3194_zps0f1d4d0d.jpg

IMG_3201_zps58708b78.jpg

IMG_3190_zps2bb700e5.jpg

IMG_3195_zps5a05c63f.jpg

Rear deck details, decided to go with canopy open.

IMG_3203_zps10a06bf4.jpg

Edited by John the Yank
  • Like 3

Primed and curing, needs Micro Meshed (3600) and a couple of spots smoothed with MS 1200. Doesn't look cobbled together now, soon it will look like "La Muerte Negra". Not a bad Bodge job, might get through MOT.

John

IMG_3209_zps639a8ac8.jpg

IMG_3215_zpsd4d2723d.jpg

IMG_3214_zps56ab3d6a.jpg

IMG_3217_zps8d9b10f4.jpg

IMG_3218_zpsa1704a9d.jpg

IMG_3219_zpsf263e4b9.jpg

IMG_3224_zps15851c03.jpg

IMG_3225_zps180cb0e4.jpg

IMG_3229_zps7cd8926b.jpg

• Like 2

Finished the camera port cover, needs a little polishing, then liquid masking before painting. A drop of future for a final finish.

John

IMG_3240_zps9bd0d915.jpg

Drilled the vent holes, shell eject ports, & added barrels to Monograms cannon pods. Primed & ready for install.

IMG_3237_zpsa68cb84b.jpg

IMG_3235_zps2b068701.jpg

• Like 2

More fodder for this WIP. Cleaned up the camera port cover, just a little future after painting.

IMG_3242_zpsb1ad3e0e.jpg

Mounted the cannon pods, had to use a little MS to smooth the joint, A few small details and it will be ready for paint.

IMG_3250_zps2b9496b9.jpg

IMG_3251_zps1c8ba3e3.jpg

IMG_3252_zpsc84f26a3.jpg

IMG_3245_zpsc95054b5.jpg

Edited by John the Yank
  • Like 4

Looking good. Is the surface painted or primed. I ask because it looks very immaculate for a model in product. At that stage mine tend to look like I had just gone at it with a load of power tools.

Keep up the good work.

Tom.

Looking good. Is the surface painted or primed. I ask because it looks very immaculate for a model in product. At that stage mine tend to look like I had just gone at it with a load of power tools.

Keep up the good work.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, it still is in primer. I use gray automotive lacquer primer out of a spray can, (the cheapest I can find) and wet sand with 1600 grit & Micro Mesh 3600 grit before paint. Everything else is airbrushed. There is no substitute for fit and alignment, I do not use putty as filler, I use CA mixed with talc or straight CA. If a gap needs bridged I use strip or scrap styrene. Mr. Surfacer works wonders for blending and smoothing joints too.

John

• Like 1