Kiwi Kittyhawk- 1/72nd Sword Mk.III kit in RNZAF markings

Hiya Folks,

Having biult a whole raft of 1/72nd scale Kittyhawks and P-40`s lately here is another one, the very nice 1/72nd scale Sword kit built in the RNZAF markings from the box;

KittyRNZAF-1_zpsa45e6d6c.jpg

KittyRNZAF-3_zps57eca8e3.jpg

KittyRNAF-4_zpsd616f2cd.jpg

KittyRNZAF-7_zpsff34e65a.jpg

It was brush painted using Humbrol enamels,

Cheers

Tony

PS- I`ve added a few more Kiwi Kittyhawks and a few more of my RNZAF models further on in response to a valid point brought up by LSD Modeller/Alan!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

That's the nicest NZ Kitty model I've seen. The weathering is very well done especially that detail of the mud thrown back from the retracting wheels. And I continue both in awe of but slightly perplexed by your superb brushwork with Humbrol enamels!

Regards

Nick

Tony,

Thats a very nice looking RNZAF P 40K, some info for you from the ADF serials website about NZ3060

Assembled by No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville and BoC at Hobsonville on 30 January 1943. Coded "9".
To No.14 Squadron.
Flying Officer G. Fisken claimed 3 enemy aircraft destroyed during a sortie in this aircraft on 04 July 1943.
Belly landed at Kukum following test flight on 19 July 1943.
Later repaired and returned to service.
To No.4 OTU, Ohakea by September 1944. Coded "9"

Concerning the "Camouflaged" P 40 K's, there was some interesting discussion last year (from memory) and what type of camouflage they wore, in the forward operations area, on RNZAF Proboards (Wings Over New Zealand).

They arrived in New Zealand from the US in the the camouflage colours, being US Dupont Dark Earth/Dark Green/ Sky Type S Grey .

In the above mentioned discussion on the Wings Over New Zealand, one of our members made mention of some documentation, stating that prior to the P 40K's leaving overseas, the Dark Brown was repainted in NZ Sea Blue Grey. That would make for a striking colour scheme.

Thanks for sharing your build

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Thanks everybody and especially to Alan for the additional information.

Alan- I was aware of the NZ Blue Sea Grey on Kittyhawks but had thought that it was only applied to Kittyhawk Mk.Ia`s based in New Zealand,.....I didn`t know that it was applied to the Mk.III`s going out to the operational area`s, but it might explain why the camouflage appears transposed in the reference photo that I used for this aircraft? I`ve built a model of a RNZAF Kittyhawk Mk.Ia in the Sea Blue Grey scheme using the pretty awful looking Academy kit and here it is;

DSCF5759.jpg

I`ve also done an Army Co-Operation Harvard in the same scheme;

RNZAFHarvard-72nd-1.jpg

and a 1/48th scale Hudson!;

RNZAFHudson-2.jpg

and I`ve also done the obligatory `Gloria Lyons,....but I`m not happy with the light roundels;

DSCF5775.jpg

plus a silver Kittyhawk Mk.IV,....again using the pretty poor looking 1/72nd Academy kit!;

RNZAFP-40N-2.jpg

As you can probably tell,...I like RNZAF aircraft!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Lovely machines as always sir.

I did '060 in 1/48th a while ago using some decals that Pete Mossong produced and he went for the green/brown markings in the instructions. I tried to get up his Hobby Vista website but it isn't showing the colours page but the rest is still there, including a picture of '059

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/p40_2.html

Alan, thanks for the heads up on the WONZ website, I'll have a happy hour or so looking this up.

• Like 1

Cheers Mike- The Sword kits went together really well and come highly recommended! They look the part too,....unlike the Academy thing!

Thanks again everybody,

Tony

Thanks, Tony! :thumbsup2: That's good to know - I've got the short tailed P-40K boxing in the stash and I'm toying with the idea of making that the next project.

Mike. B)

Hi Tony,

That a very nice collection of RNZAF aircraft :thumbsup:

On the P 40E's which stayed in New Zealand, and were used for Advanced fighter training, when the

NZ Sea Blue Grey was applied, thay all had the Pacific Roundel applied also.

Currently on the go on my bench (amongst other builds) I have a P 40E as in this photo link

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/14Sqn.jpg

NZ3008 HQ-B named "UMSLOPAGAAS" (Sir Henry Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain - Nada & the Lily) in the US painted camo the aircraft arrived in.

The next one I want to build as a P40E is NZ3007 HQ-A named "MAGNOLIA MUFFLEWURT" (third aircraft in above link) in the Dark Green /NZ Sea Blue Grey/Sky Type S-Grey.

I do plan (one day) to do a P40K in the dark Green/NZ Blue Grey/Sky

As an aside, you may or may not be aware that there were 4 Gloria Lyons, 3 P 40's and 1 F4U-1 (no known photo though)

Thanks for sharing your "Kiwi aircraft" :D

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

very nice work tony on all of these:) i so want to build one too, have the sword 2in1 kits in stash, but sadly theres too much kits on my work bench already.. but definitely have to build one soon, bcs yours are looking so great! :)

Great photo Alan, I'm sure you know that the third machine, NZ3036 HQ Q, carried the name PARKYAKARKUS on the port side.

Yes I had heard/read that name (probably on the RNZAF Proboards :lol: )

Our young pilots in WWII were such well read, learned people who obviously had a quirky sense of humour :smartass:

The joys of growing up in the Delightful Antipodes.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Nice collection of P-40s Tony. Good choice of nationality and a good flag wave for an unsung hero much overshadowed by the likes of P-51s, Spitfires etc.

Top job!