Italeri 1/72 Sea Harrier FRS 1 'Black 14' DONE!

Hi all,

Despite a self-imposed 'F-14 only builds for 2014', I couldn't pass up the chance to build a Harrier! So I'm in with this one (in between a couple of Tomcats, obviously)

ItaleriSHAR_1_zpsd5a3a295.jpg

Will be mostly OOB but might swap the Sidewinders out (as they look like the earlier ones).

Does anyone know if the decals in this kit are accurate for a Falklands-era Sea Harrier?

Thanks for looking and good luck with your builds!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

Dermot

An excellent little kit.

However out of the box, neither of the two FAA schemes are accurate for a Falklands era aircraft: XZ451 was operated by 899 NAS from HMS Invincible in an overall Extra Dark Sea Grey scheme; ZD608 was one of the batch of Sea Harriers ordered after the Falklands conflict and, despite the caption in Italeri's instructions, did not fly until September 1985 and first entered service with 801 NAS in November 1986.

Although they are both out of production, Modeldecal's sheets 66 and 67 or Xtradecal's sheet X72073 are probably the best source of markings for the Sea Harriers operated by the FAA during Operation Corporate.

HTH

Richard

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Time to move on with this one! Got the cockpit assembled and installed - just added belts, nothing else. Left the seat as it is - looks kinda skinny

ItaleriSeaHarrierFRS1fuselage2_zps404945

Overall, the fit was great except where the upper wing meets the fuselage - there's quite a 'step' in the rear section just ahead of the tail 'A'. When I dry-fitted it to make it level, it would throw out the fit of the lower wing to fuselage at 'B'. I don't know if it's the design of the kit. Or my efforts. Either way, got some filling and sanding to do!

I've also dropped the intake doors (not shown) and need to replace the ones I've cut away.

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 2

It is always the same when you dry fit a part, it fits perfectly or as near as damn it. But as soon as you add glue and stick the same part to the model, it all goes haywire.

• Like 3

And with intakes fitted - I've dropped the doors on these but the rest will be OOB, I promise!

Italeri1_72SeaHarrierfuselage_zpsa7ffacb

Still need to fix the rear wing to fuselage seam....it's acting like a silly bugger :fight:

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all and some cracking builds on here which is a great motivation to get done in time!

Finally got some paint on - as I brush with Revell acrylics, this is a homemade mix based on their recommendation for EDSG (75% Blue Grey + 25% Tank Grey) It might be a wee bit too dark but I'm happy with it.

Not happy with that rear seam which I just couldn't fix. Oh well, you live and learn.

Please ignore the US Navy carrier deck tractor which sneaked in there....part of another build!

ItaleriSeaHarrierPaint2_zps3cd06c90.jpg

And as she was last night with a coat of Future. Still need to touch up in some small places too.

ItaleriSeaHarrierPaint3_zps4b4584f3.jpg

Decals tonight, thanks for looking!

Dermot

• Like 2

Thanks lads.

Just a quick question - was the finish on Falklands-line aircraft glossy? Hope to start weathering (if any!) tonight!

I seem to remember reading that they were kept as clean as possible owing to the rigours of flying in the South Atlantic.

Any advice appreciated!

Dermot

Thanks lads.

Just a quick question - was the finish on Falklands-line aircraft glossy? Hope to start weathering (if any!) tonight!

I seem to remember reading that they were kept as clean as possible owing to the rigours of flying in the South Atlantic.

Any advice appreciated!

Dermot

I think that the Royal Navy keep their aircraft clean all the time whilst operating from carriers. I know that they were better at it than us in the RAF whilst operating Chinooks on the Ark on Op Telic.

• Like 1

I have had a look in my copy of Falklands the Air War and it has a 4 view drawing of Xz451 of 801 Sqn painted in what the caption says is Gloss Extra dark Sea Grey. There is also a colour piccie showing a sailor painting out the White of the roundel with a 3" paint brush from a pot of paint, plus a compatriot who you can't see painting one of the White weapons pylons in a similar fashion with the Grey. Also I am not sure if the Royal Navy puts on a protective coating of something like PX-28/24 the prevent corrosion on the paint work, which might give a glossy look.

Thanks again Jabba.

Just wondering would any weathered or chipped areas on the airframe reveal bare metal or primer?

Last night's work....decals on which were a mix of Italeri and Airfix (thanks Murfv)

ItaleriSeaHarrierdecals2_zps5b691279.jpg

Then a liberal wash....

ItaleriSeaHarrierwash_zps227e0cf5.jpg

And then a clean up followed by my favourite part of any Harrier build, getting her to sit on all four points! The weathered drop tanks was something I've seen on some Falklands-era pics though it might be a little overdone.

ItaleriSeaHarriergear_zps5a0e5285.jpg

The Sidewinder pylons were a bear to fit with really poor attachment points between the pylon and the rail. I'm only adding one Aim-9, leaving the other rail empty as if she's just returned from a patrol.

The kit has had 3 coats of Future which means she's quite glossy (and the wash didn't really want to settle down) but by all accounts was the finish. She's a bit grubby in places which I think is ok though?? I'm also going to try and tone down the markings as they're very bright.

Will add the last bits and pieces tonight hopefully.

Thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions welcomed!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 3

Any chipped or weathered areas would more than likely show the paint that is underneath like on your fuel tank. Remember that the undersides were White before being hand painted over with EDSG, possibly the same on the fuel tank?

Sorry should have added at the start that the progress that you are making this into a really nice model.

Hey everyone,

Got all the little final fiddly bits added, some final weathering and she's done - will post some better pictures in the Gallery later.

I replaced the nose pitot with needle but think it might be a little too long??

ItaleriSeaHarrier1_72L1_zps76d9fc25.jpg

Thanks for all the really helpful comments, suggestions and expert advice, and to Mish and Phil; I can't wait for Harrier STGB 3!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 4