1/35 Alan Marder II - My 1st Armor Build!

Hello!

My first armor build ... taking plenty of photos along the way. I'm trying to sort out the "order of operations" (e.g. assembly and painting), since I have build aircraft for the the last 20 years. I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying the process and the build - I love scale model aircraft, but this is a breath of fresh air!

I have started with the chassis and have all of the road wheel axles attached. I plan to assemble, prime and paint as much as I can with sub-assemblies. Since I have none of the colors for armor, I've done some research and have my Tamiya and Humbrol colors list more or less ironed out ... it's quite a bit of paint that I will need to get :-). Much of the model had injector molding sink marks and seams that needed to be filled in. I use water-based putty since it does not smell and it's easy to clean up! I have made a little more progress since these photos from a couple of weeks ago ... will continue to post more to get the fellow readers' feedback since I am still learning.

Cheers!

Brian

www.TheScaleReview.com

April_2014_034.jpgApril_2014_031.jpgApril_2014_009.jpgApril_2014_004.jpgApril_2014_003.jpg

Edited by castlegaiden
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone - long time, no post!

Making progress on my very first armor model - the Alan 1/35 Marder II ... probably not the best choice for a first model, but having fun which is the main thing!

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Posted some more photos in the Model Cave forum as well

http://modelcave.thescalereview.com/phpBB3//viewtopic.php…

Brian

www.thescalereview.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - sorry for the late reply!

I used a thin wash of Tamiya XF-1 flat white, thinned down with a homebrew thinner (link to article on my site with ingredients --> http://www.thescalereview.com/2014/06/18/model-school-learn-to-make-your-own-homebrew-acrylic-thinner/

It did take quite amount of rubbing, more than I was expecting actually. To help speed things up, I dipped the stubbly brush in the thinner to soften the top layer of paint. I still need to experiment more with the timing and amount of hairspray.

Brian