SaintsPhil's 1/72 Harriers

Right better get my build thread going then!

As soon as both of the newest Airfix Harriers hit the shelves I bought one of each. Like being a kid again I ripped the packaging open and started. Then I looked at my desk and thought I really ought to finish what's about here first....

So they ended up in a draw!

Many months later I think the GB is the perfect place for a KUTA on these!

Obviously they're started, but only a coat of Humbrol admiralty grey on the pits, which after 7 or so months is about dry....if anyone protests them I'll find another entry!

So the builds are, 1 GR1, 1 GR3 and one GR7 (new mould). I guess these are suitably similar to share a thread...

imagejpg1-3.jpg

Here's the start I made, under 25% I think.

imagejpg1-7.jpg

imagejpg1-6.jpg

imagejpg1-4.jpg

Rest of the sprues, just to prove anything else is as it should be!

Markings wise I've not yet decided, GR7 may well be an early 2 tone green, GR3 a Falklands jet, probably in flight. GR1 I may build as a GR1A as 'beach buggy' the other half of the pair, I built Hot to Trot for the the last Harrier GB.

Time to get started, after a weekend of DIY....

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 3

Right better get my build thread going then!

As soon as both of the newest Airfix Harriers hit the shelves I bought one of each. Like being a kid again I ripped the packaging open and started. Then I looked at my desk and thought I really ought to finish what's about here first....

So they ended up in a draw!

Oh, I know that feeling!

Hi Phil

2 Tone green GR7 would be good please.

Dan

I'm pretty much sold on it, my only other option would have been a bang up to date Afghan GR9, using the Freightdog Therma, but I think I'll save that for another day and kit! Edited by SaintsPhil

Right I'm due an update!

Most of the construction is done on all 3.

Firstly the GR7

imagejpg1-8.jpg

imagejpg1-9.jpg

Must have got a Friday PM kit this time as it's covered in sink marks, round 3 of filling and sanding and I have a feeling there may be a 4th!! Once that's done, and the resin intakes arrive I'll be ready for primer. I've cheated and ordered some Pavla intakes and nozzles as there are sink marks on each blow in door and the plastic nozzles have a nasty seam I can't be bothered to sand anymore!

Decided on the 2 greens, as I found some markings for a Wittering jet from the early 90s. Ideal as I used to go stay with my grandparents near Stamford right under the circuit, loved watching the harriers with my Granddad!

Next up the GR1A

imagejpg1-10.jpg

Thankfully no where near as bad on the sink mark front, just the odd splodge of Mr Surfacer, mainly due my slap dash removal of sprue gates....

And the GR3

imagejpg1-11.jpg

imagejpg1-12.jpg

In flight for this one, only issue here is the airbrakes which doesn't really fit too well closed, so I might have it slightly open, just to add a little interest! Still got to reshape the tail, cut the top off and glued some plastic on, only to realise I'd done it to the GR1 tail! So tired again with the correct one....at least I'd not shapped it....

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 1

Nice progress on all three. I noticed that on the GR1 and possibly the GR3 that you have a slight gap between the tailplane and the fuselage. I say this because I have a huge gap there and the tailplane just flops about, so I am wondering if this is a kit fault or my own mishandling of the parts.

Nice progress on all three. I noticed that on the GR1 and possibly the GR3 that you have a slight gap between the tailplane and the fuselage. I say this because I have a huge gap there and the tailplane just flops about, so I am wondering if this is a kit fault or my own mishandling of the parts.

Do you mean under the Horizontal tails? If so that's there on the real thing! I've glued my tail planes in place, horizontal on the in flight GR3 and slightly nose up on the GR1 as they droop slightly at rest.

Do you mean under the Horizontal tails? If so that's there on the real thing! I've glued my tail planes in place, horizontal on the in flight GR3 and slightly nose up on the GR1 as they droop slightly at rest.

That is what I mean. I do know that there is meant to be a gap, but on my model it seems a bit more pronounced than on yours. I will have to see what I can do.

Looking really good Phil! I'm glad you're ahead of me with your GR7 so I can get some expert advice.

How did you go about filling the seam on the underside of the wing/LERX and fuselage? It's awful tight in there for sanding.

How was the fit of the flaps and ailerons? They are a different colour than the wing in the scheme I want to attempt, so I was thinking about painting them first and then attaching them at the end.

Sorry to bug you!

Happy to be bugged, not sure about an expert, but I've built a few and asked all those questions before!

I didn't fill the seam! The wing to fuselage joint was ok on mine, and there is a gap on the real thing between the LERX and fuselage anyway. I found that out a while back after spending ages filling it on a 1/48 version....

The flaps and ailerons are an ok fit, I always thing there is too much of a gap on the sides mind, I've built up the sides with plasticard previously but didn't bother on this one. The filler you can see is to remedy sink marks rather than any fit issues.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Well over due another update!

Starting with the GR7, primed and the underside lichen green is on

D0567F7B-D0DA-438F-A14A-AF39D48C6BE0.jpg

I've used Zero colour matched paint for this, in pretty happy with the colour!

Since taking the snap, the lower surfaces are all masked off waiting for the Nato Green topsides.

Onto the GR1 and 3

Dark sea grey sprayed and then paper masks made from enlarged versions of the GR3 instructions

6C95E8DE-C6DB-4DCF-A6A1-8F5F9A8B7435.jpg

Green sprayed and masks removed

It's come out ok I think

AB18F00E-E32B-41EB-ADC7-CF800CC4C479.jpg

I normally free hand spray, but it's a bit fiddly in 1/72, even if the masking took forever....

Next up is gloss coat, except I might try some filters on the GR1....

Now I'm going to finish my cider and shout my self horse watching the Saints in the premiership final! COYS!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 3

Cheers guys, not too tricky, bit of artistic license required on fuselage under the wings, as that's not shown on the diagrams.

The masks are suck on with little bits of white tac here and there, or tape as appropriate. You can see on the larger bits I cut slots to stick tape in to hold it down. Just see what works for the bit you're masking.

• Like 2

am about to finish off my F5E Aggressor Grape scheme, 1/48 (won it on the HFH Around the world in an airfix kit comp - worth looking at the Lightning build) - will be interesting as I am just getting to grips with an airbrush and its dinky!

Aggressor.jpg

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=213108

https://www.facebook.com/groups/roundtheworldinanairfixkit/