Vosper 73' MTB Type 1 (Airfix 1/72)

Second question - I might as well push my luck ;o) . Does any one know of a source for miniature clamps????

Cheers Kev

G'day Kev,

Seriously good work going on in there!

My suggestion would be to brush paint the top edge of the bridge and once dry, make a square of masking tape to match the size of the opening. If you use the coloured masking tape sold at the big home hardware type places (I don't know what the brands are in the UK) you can overlay strips to get the size that you need. The other alternative is just to cut some paper to a size just smaller than the opening and seal the edges with Tamiya tape,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Todays small step forward

Bridge handrails, cables, ducts and rolled canvas to cover windows

P1060843 (Copy)

P1060842 (Copy)

P1060839 (Copy)

Kev

PS Note grey plastic in last pic, I'm using a kit part - modified but still a piece of the original kit ;o)

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

Obviously been a bit inattentive! Missed this till now. Nice to see what is basically a nice kit (I've built one and done some extras on it) getting a seriously good going over, I shall enjoy watching this! I have Lamb's books on Coastal forces - volume two has some good shots. Gun wise, I used Great Little Ships Oerlikons, fiddly to assemble but look pretty good.

F

Cheers Foxy, If you don't get some pics up soon I,m going to have to come down and make sure your still working ;o)

Hi Seadog, I was beginning to think something had grabbed you in the garden ;o) Good to have you on board !

I think I've got all John Lamberts books, love 'em.

Glad you mentioned GLS Oerlikons, I think I'll give them a try on next project. I also want to see what their 1/72 Coastal forces guard rail set is like.

Have you got any up and coming projects to wow us with?

Cheers Kev

Cheers Foxy, If you don't get some pics up soon I,m going to have to come down and make sure your still working ;o)

Hi Seadog, I was beginning to think something had grabbed you in the garden ;o) Good to have you on board !

I think I've got all John Lamberts books, love 'em.

Glad you mentioned GLS Oerlikons, I think I'll give them a try on next project. I also want to see what their 1/72 Coastal forces guard rail set is like.

Have you got any up and coming projects to wow us with?

Cheers Kev

Nothing other than blood shed to brambles... We've been doing a lot of work around the place as we've put it up for sale with a view of moving back to the UK. People tell us we're nuts but there are good reasons, believe it or not.

Project wise, not a lot for the moment. Halfway through one of Atlantic models nice little HMS Leeds Castle kits. And started a carved hull of HMS Fair Rosamund in 1/144th - effin tiny! Also, probably due to increasing senility and a reasonable price, I've just ordered one of Italeri's big Vospers which probably means I'll never finish my 1/72nd scratch build...

Just loked back at my Vosper 73 build of a few years ago. Wouldn't be satisfied with it now - particularly next to what you're doing :)

You're very kind. As to living the dream...well, I dunno. By 1700 yesterday the temp was up at 35c hard to even think, let alone do accurate work.

I like the cleats and hand rails. They may have taken a while to get right but it is touches such as these that really give the model boost.

Martin

A couple of small parts made whilst I pull my hair out over other sub assemblies :wall:

Aldis (signal) lamp

P1060856 (Copy)

Kit lifebuoys cleaned up, rope added and brackets made up

P1060858 (Copy)

P1060859 (Copy)

Thanks for looking

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

Last night toys left pram at very high velocity :deadhorse:

Since the start of this project I had been attempting to scratch build the frames that support the torpedo tubes

P1060844 (Copy)

This is what I was trying to achieve

P1060865 (Copy)

P1060847 (Copy)

Just some of the various attempts

P1060861 (Copy)

It was all to precise (not) and frail and last night trying to sand an almost complete frame it all bent and toys left the pram! Faced with the thought that I had to do four the same I've called it a day.

So now its use the kit part

P1060870 (Copy)

P1060868 (Copy)

and keep my sanity . . . .

Thanks for looking

Cheers Kev

S

Edited by longshanks

Your always welcome here Kev.

Are you going to Culdrose airday the 31st July show, will be there with some of my ships, we have 20 tables to fill.

Cheers frank :pirate:

I'll be at Air Day. Slumming it by staying with the Captain, Mark Garratt, who was on my Pilots' course. Rude not to, really.

I managed to make tubes for my stalled scratch-build 72-6 Vosper....spent days on it having nothing better to do at the time. Long way off perfect - or finished....one day it will end up being boat nr. 355 twin oerlikons aft and a single forward. Frankly I think you were wise to use the kit bit with PE. By the way the carley floats look really ace. I really must try harder, as my teachers used to say, a lot. Keep sane, she's going to be a beauty.

72ft6in_zpseb4081a3.jpg

Hi Seadog,

Thanks for the encouragement/understanding.

Love your Vosper, up to your usual high standard !

I know it may be blasphemy but might I recommend www.coastalcraftmodels.com for the guns ;)

Cheers Kev

Coastal forces, funny you should mention them...

parts_zpse804ae24.jpg

You'll probably notice that there are some GLS stanchions as well. I guess this is really a semi-scratch as making Oerlikons and Lewis guns in 1/72nd probably isn't worth the nervous breakdown...

• 2 weeks later...

Right here we go with the latest step forward. In typical style I've gone bottom about face . . .

I wanted to protray the Vosper in its natural enviroment and I wanted to get the hull bedded in before I started painting it so

P1060908 (Copy)

P1060907 (Copy)

P1060906 (Copy)

P1060904 (Copy)

P1060903 (Copy)

P1060902 (Copy)

Thanks for looking, I look forward to yuor comments

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 5

Very nice looking pose there Kev,'The boat that is' :rolleyes:.

That water effect looks terrific mate.

Nice to hear your still not boiled seadog.

That temperature of 35 sounds horrific.

Great watching this build and keep on going :worthy:

Frank :pirate:

• Like 1

Your work on this is absolutely splendid. I built one of these as a nipper, many moons ago. Every time I look at yours I get the urge to grab another one, although if I could get it looking even half as good as this I would be a very happy bunny.

Odd.

Got up this morning and I wasn't as happy . . . so further touches

The white foam has beeen picked out in pure white

The aerated water from props has been picked out in paler/greener blue

I've used acrylic structure gel to give more bulk to the foam and tiny wavlets over the sea. Tried it before and it acted like self levelling compound, I guess because of the heat so base and gel went in fridge ;o)

Happier now until tomorrow morning lol

P1060926 (Copy)

P1060928 (Copy)

P1060930 (Copy)

P1060932 (Copy)

P1060933 (Copy)P1060934 (Copy)

Brian, details to follow

Thanks for looking, hope its looking better

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...