FineMolds Y-Wing

Well whilst I await some paints arriving for my 1/32 GPU build I thought I would do a quick build of a Finescale Y-Wing, straight out of the box, no messing.

No extras at all.

IMG_20140427_190215_zpsvogwq66r.jpg

Tub glued and into spray

IMG_20140427_203612_zps4bxsiwnt.jpg

Bit of dry brush and done

IMG_20140427_211036_zps0nrsln95.jpg

The pilot was another matter, he had to undergo serios surgery, I bought the kit off ebay and the person selling said he had cut out the pilot (personally I think he'd put the wrong 1 back in the kit).

IMG_20140427_211357_zpscqkup6pb.jpg

IMG_20140427_211943_zps2unev5fl.jpg

front pushed onto the body to stop me breaking some piping

IMG_20140427_225020_zpsy4bi9wdp.jpg

Now adding detailing onto the body

IMG_20140427_235004_zpsb6qmr38u.jpg

Edited by pittnuma

Great start Darren,

It is a lovely kit of a much ignore spaceship. Lots of nice fiddly bits of pipe to put on but looks good when finished.

Cheers,

Warren

Edit: By the way its a Fine Molds kit not Finescale :-)

Ahh blond moment cheers Warren, how can anyone not love the Y-wing, as you say it's a great kit.

Edited by pittnuma

Detailing pipes and 1 side pod on, some sanding/filling required on those (if your going to do any other than Gold Leader it will be easier to put the detailing on after spraying as these are all orange).

IMG_20140429_205736_zpsvedx8bhx.jpg

Edited by pittnuma

Getting there! Nearly ready for paint, just got the nacelle fronts to work on to blend some seams.

IMG_20140429_234317_zpsknkodemp.jpg

IMG_20140429_235501_zpstrn8wvws.jpg

Edited by pittnuma
  • Like 1

Into the spray booth for priming, shows up a couple of areas I need to fill. Not sure what/how I am going to deal with the front of the nacelles they really could do with blending in more but there is some fine detailing just there, anybody else have this issue with this kit? How did you get around it?

I didn't cover the cockpit yet as I was not spraying upto it.

I am quite chuffed, no runs, no bad areas of spray, this is the 1st model I have EVER sprayed.....

IMG_20140430_214530_zpsabqzpyar.jpg

IMG_20140430_215810_zpsa8mcxhyj.jpg

IMG_20140430_224321_zpsqvyv8yvx.jpg

Edited by pittnuma

Looking good so far Darren.

For a first attempt on a model that is pretty good spraying.

Looking at pictures of the filming model there appears to be a yellow band where the narcelle and main engine meet which softens the join, not sure if that is the version you are building.

If you are interested in the Star Wars models I can heartily recommend a book called Sculpting A Galaxy, Inside the Star Wars Model Shop, quite a hefty book but full of pitures and details on the models used in all 6 films.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Looking good, nice build.

I have seen this kit before and always wondered why there isn't some form of clear inserts in the nacells. Thought there would be something, as the nacells look a bit flimsy and fragile to me.

Matt.

Sprayed in the base colour now, got to figure out what to seal it with for weathering and decalling, any recommendations? If you have can you tell me what I use to thin it and clean out the brush with?

IMG_20140501_213352_zpsmswjb6jg.jpg

Did have 1 mare, 2nd time I have done this spilt the paint out of the cup, I dabbed it up and put a light coat over but what do you do in this case?

IMG_20140501_213305_zpsp2tazqsn.jpg

Now pre shaded and painted ready for gloss.

Edited by pittnuma

Darren,

You need to give it a coat of gloss varnish before applying the decals, then another coat to seal them before doing any weathering.

I use Alclad Aquagloss as it doesn't need thinning and cleans with water.

Contact Paul at Little-Cars, he will help you out, see vendor section for his contact details.

Lost count how many times I've dropped paint on a model, usually cos I forgot to put the lid back on properly then shaking it!

Cheers,

Warren

Edit: beat me to it Breaker!

• Like 2

Thanks chaps

Poor ol Paul, he's gonna be sick of me! I just put in an order (and kept changing/adding to it), think it's too late to add to it. I have dropped him a message in the hope it is not too late. Think he may put a bomb in with my delivery!!

Edit he will add it to my order bless him, I'll phone him int he morning to get the additional payment to him, so I will get back to my GPU until it arrives (cellulose arrived today)..

Edited by pittnuma

Thanks, the weathering is what I am going to struggle with I think.

I intend to use a wash which is not an issue but the fine work and scratches is the bit that is going to take some doing for me.

It's now pre shaded, painted and awaiting gloss

Edited by pittnuma

Pics of pre shade etc, learnt a lot here with regards paint mixes, pressures, I put down too much grey/not enough black. All a learning game, 1st time I have pre shaded.

IMG_20140503_233047_zpscjctwzhm.jpg

IMG_20140503_234538_zpsgzfeoiom.jpg

Edited by pittnuma
  • Like 1

Pre shading is still a dark art to me so for a first attemp that looks good.

Very apt to be working on this on Star Wars Day!

Might just be tempted to get FMs Darth Vader TIE out of the cupboard once the Tornado kits are done.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To seal, ink wash and add some weathering around the guns, all decals now on. But pretty close to finished. Next update will be in the completed section.

IMG_20140602_000519_zps3ogafluo.jpg

IMG_20140602_000458_zpsbizewhni.jpg

IMG_20140602_000449_zpsrgfrttqi.jpg

IMG_20140602_000437_zpsyyef1sbc.jpg

IMG_20140602_000427_zpsv12b7poe.jpg

IMG_20140601_234116_zpshkutgzdz.jpg

• Like 1