Obligatory sprue shots

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

The etch and mask set

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

The Decals and chosen paint scheme

IMG_0505.jpg

Will get the ball rolling soon. Have a Tiger Moth to clear off the bench then, work and family permitting, I'm off!

All the best

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And...........we're off!

Finally managed to put scalpel to sprue yesterday.

Some priming done and the cockpit started off. By no means at the final stages of completion but I have to say that the pre painted Eduard Etch is the dogs danglies!

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

The photos do not do it justice. Only a very strong magnifier does ;)

Not a great deal to show so far. Interior priming and painting done, will post more tomorrow. I will also try to get my other camera sorted rather than use my phone camera. Should improve the quality of the photo's as least. :D

• Like 3

Further progress....compared to others here almost at the speed of continental drift!!

Further view of the now completed cockpit 'bathtub'. Does not have the 'wow' factor of those in the Eduard kits being built as part of the group build but it works for me:-)

IMG_0520a.jpg

with the photo showing all the dust and some blemishes its time to get the mini hoover, magnifying glass and touch up paint out!

And overall progress so far.

IMG_0521.jpg

Next jobs:

Mask canopy (now it has been Klear coated)

Get dust out of cockpit.

Join fuselage halves together

Get a shimmy on generally so I can take the time needed on the paint job.

Problems so far.

Nothing really to report. Some minor niggles around internal fit of items which have gone away with application of a sanding stick. The rather large lugs which attach all the items to the sprues have made clean up more interesting. I would be complaining if everything had broken off inside the bag so its swings and roundabouts.

I am concerned with the texture on the surface of the model. It has a slightly 'dimpled' look. My worry is where I have to fill and sand I am going to end up with smooth areas which will stand out. On the plus side to this my airbrushing is still in its infancy so I will no doubt mess up and put too thick a coat on thereby nullifying any texture on the surface :oops:

Onwards............

Steve

• Like 2

That's coming along nicely now. Cockpit looks good. I don't think the sanded smooth areas will stand out too much if you are using matt colours as listed. Would be with NMF though.

• 1 month later...

Some more progress.........

Firstly masked off the underside and canopy and applied the primer. I then sprayed the first coat on. Finally got it to a finish I was happy with.IMG_0544.jpg

Then realised that I should have painted the Dark green first to allow masking off and painting of the camo pattern. So back to square one and now the dark green coat and the masking applied.

IMG_0552.jpg

Final stages for this one with the dark yellow coat applied.

IMG_0553.jpg

Now leave for 24 hours and remove the masking to see what it looks like.

• Like 5

Don't want to spoil the party, but that 7th strip from left wingtip inboard... mmmh... don't know if its position is correct... :P

Seriously now: this is 1/72?

My hat was off alone because of the cockpit... simply awesome... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments.

There were one or two comments being muttered under my breath about more selective choices on paint schemes rather than the inital 'oooh! that looks good in the instructions' selection criteria whilst applying the whitetac.

I should point out the strip is correct, the problem is the wings are on upside down which has caused an angle issue which in turn is causing optical illusions involving shadow and light......twitch, twitch gibber, gibber etc etc etc :winkgrin:

Now waiting on the final coat of flat black to dry on the underside before I strip off the masking and look for the inevitable bleed through 'gulp!'

Best Regards

Steve

• Like 1

I should point out the strip is correct, the problem is the wings are on upside down which has caused an angle issue which in turn is causing optical illusions involving shadow and light......twitch, twitch gibber, gibber etc etc etc :winkgrin:

Under different circumstances, I could accept this apology - but I find it inexcusable that the strip is off, by 0.9379mm. :P

Seriously now: I've got to see some photos of few V-VS MiG-15s in China while in the process of being camouflaged. The photos in question appear to have been taken 'quite early', i.e. the aircraft in question (for example: bort '545' from the 415th IAP) were still in their 'shiny metall overall' colours, and in the process of getting - very wavy - strips of green applied. And the strips in question were not only quite 'light' (i.e. their opacity was very low; surely down to about 30-40%), but went _over_ the bort number _and_ the national marking too.

That's the reason why I sometimes wonder if strips on Galyshevsky's '547' were as 'solid' and as 'clean' (i.e. not going over the bort or the national marking) as they appear on that instruction sheet. Never found an opportunity to find out, though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A/C now completed. :yahoo:

I enjoyed the build. A nice kit.

I do wish I had splashed out on the full Eduard PE experience. The cockpit is something else with the addition of the PE, would have been interesting to see how it affected the overall appearance. What did we do before Eduard masks for canopies as well!!

Some things I could improve on are simple things like adding the wing aerial ( not supplied in kit) and adding the finishing touches like aerial wire.

The paint scheme has come out quite well even if I say so myself. There are areas that are better than others but for a first time with that particular 'white tac' masking technique I will be quietly content.

Not in the same league as the other Mig's on display in this build :worthy: which are simply stunning.

Thank you to the organisers for the GB and Mish for doing the overall coordinating (herding of cats) of dates and builders.

Next, its time to catch up on the D-Day build I am supposed to be taking part in......I hate work, it gets in the way of everything important.

• Like 1