Mitsubishi A6M3 Model 22

Here's my latest completion, peeps!

It's the 1/72 Hasegawa A6M3 Model 22 kit, with markings from Rising Decals. It depicts an aircraft from the 331st Kokutai during the joint IJA/IJN attack on Calcutta in December 1943, hence the unusual paint scheme. Paints are Humbrol enamels throughout, H75 Bronze Green uppers, H168 Hemp lower surface plus tail and wing tip and H154 Insignia Yellow for the wing ID stripes. I used Humbrol Clear to gloss prior to the decals, then a final spray of Humbrol Satin varnish to dull it down. There's some weathering, but I decided to keep it minimal.

I have to give thanks to Nick Millman for giving me some valuable advice on Zero colouring a few years back - thanks Nick! :thumbsup2:

Model 22 03

Model 22 04

Model 22 05

Model 22 06

One under the flash:

Model 22 07

Comments welcome!

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 6

Now that is different...the extensive variations of markings on Japanese WW2 aircraft always grab me. I like this, especially your choice of a/c and its historical connection to a theatre of operations we don't get enough models of.

Well done. :thumbsup:

Graham

EDIT: Missed word.

Edited by Nobby57

That's a cracking Zero you've built. I don't have any in-depth knowledge on Zero's but you mention it's an unusual paint scheme due to it being a joint mission, is it the hemp colour on the wing tip and tail that's unusual?

Thanks guys! :thumbsup2:

I don't have any in-depth knowledge on Zero's but you mention it's an unusual paint scheme due to it being a joint mission, is it the hemp colour on the wing tip and tail that's unusual?

Yep, that the unusual bit. I think the aircraft was marked that way for recognition purposes. There's another 331 Ku aircraft, this time an A6M2 Model 21, with similar markings, but based at Balikpapan, Borneo in 1944.

Sheet options HERE, instructions HERE.

The kit came from the "Iwakuni Flying Group" combo so I have a Model 32 to make, which will be the Timor based aircraft featured on the sheet.

Mike. :)