Low pass, time to duck!

Shaun

Damn that's low.

But nice looking machine I've always liked Russian whirly birds especially the Hinds and the Kamov's with their dual rotors.

Hmmm might have to build a few now.

Thanks for posting that.

Rick

One aircraft I would love to test for sure. Combine the concept with the West's avionics and I believe it would be unbeatable - its an A10 that can hover. I almost persuaded the Kamov chap at Farnboro a couple of years ago that the AAC were serious in considering it as an alternative to the Apache. Trouble was I didn't have enough Vodka to hand to let him let me have a cabby....

The only 'issue' is the potential for disc 'harmonisation' (read - blade collision) with harsh and rapid control inputs due to the co-axial layout. A superior bit of FCS software would negate this though (akin to Airbus FBW type of strategy).

If I saw 'KA52' come up on my threat display, I'd quickly land on and briskly walk away from my aircraft. Believe the hype; its awesome!

Edited by Lynx7
  • Like 2

One aircraft I would love to test for sure. Combine the concept with the West's avionics and I believe it would be unbeatable - its an A10 that can hover. I almost persuaded the Kamov chap at Farnboro a couple of years ago that the AAC were serious in considering it as an alternative to the Apache. Trouble was I didn't have enough Vodka to hand to let him let me have a cabby....

The only 'issue' is the potential for disc 'harmonisation' (read - blade collision) with harsh and rapid control inputs due to the co-axial layout. A superior bit of FCS software would negate this though (akin to Airbus FBW type of strategy).

If I saw 'KA52' come up on my threat display, I'd quickly land on and briskly walk away from my aircraft. Believe the hype; its awesome!

I wonder what the advantage of the co-axial/double rotors is (apart from being able to leave off the tail rotor). Does it produce more 'lifting power' (can't find another expression right now) like the twin rotors of a Chinook and the like? Or is there something else?

I certainly did, but then I'm a cynic when it comes to 'sales guff'. I will admit however...this would be a scary adversary.

Thanks for your comments too...when looking at all the data link and avionics equipment in the tail boom though, it left me with the impression that there's not much more you could shoe horn into it.

But then Russian electronics are different and what do I know about modern Russian processors! At least they aren't Iranian Blue Peter 'look what I made today' Specials. :winkgrin: