Italeri 1/72 Ju87 B2 Stuka

I received my next kit in the post a couple of days ago; the Italeri Junkers Ju87 B/R Stuka in 1/72 scale. I ordered it from eModels.co.uk, and was on offer at only £8.56; a very good price for a nice kit. Here is the box:

P1020865_zps71516ea1.jpg

The kit has 2 main sprues:

P1020866_zpsd75ebd54.jpg

With instructions, decal sheet and clear sprue:

P1020869_zpsce9d29f9.jpg

The kit looks great, with not much flash and nice detail on the mouldings. The lower wing is in one piece, so it will hopefully make for a straightforward build. Parts such as the tail wheel are moulded onto the fuselage too, which is useful.

I try to try out different tools and methods with each build, so this time I will be trying Humbrol Liquid Poly. I was getting tired of the needle of my poly cement getting clogged up. I will also be trying MicroSol and MicroSet for the decals; and I also ordered a sheet of swastikas to make things more authentic:

P1020871_zps36c7e08d.jpg

I will make a start on the build this evening.

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 2

I have done the first bit on the Stuka; I have painted the the cockpit parts (and the wheel rims) a thin coat of Humbrol 240 (RLM 02 Grau) enamel:

P1020875_zps49ebd498.jpg

I checked the paints recommended in the box instructions, and also looked at the instructions for Airfix stuka kits. Each of them were saying a different colour for the cockpit interior (31, 120 or 78 for instance). I did a bit of research, and read that Stukas had an RLM 02 interior. I bought a tin of the Humbrol 240, which is fairly new in the range (last year, I think). I have also bought a tin of 241 (RLM 70) and 242 (RLM 71) for the camo scheme, which will be more authentic than the instuction paints.

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 1

While I was painting the first coat of paint yesterday I noticed a good few ejector pin marks, with some of them quit prominent and more that other kits I've built. I decided to try and remove the worst of them before continuing, on the cockpit parts, inside the fuselage halves and inside the wheel covers. A bit of work with a knife and sanding and they were improved.

I have just put together some of the cockpit parts, and will give everything another coat of Humbrol 240 later:

P1020879_zps848c5073.jpg

• Like 3

One to watch for me too. I also got onto one of these on a bit of a deal recently, I've had the Italeri kit with Italian markings for some time but want to do one of these & a BoB version & the markings in this will allow for both. Carry on. :)

Steve.

I have now constructed the cockpit parts, and finished painting them. The main colour is RLM 02 (Humbrol 240), with details picked out in black (humbrol 33) and the seat padding is Humbrol 155. I will drybrush the cockpit with some black to bring out some of the details on the panel, seats etc.

P1020899_zps9da548c2.jpg

P1020900_zpseaff4ef1.jpg

I have dry-brushed the cockpit assembly with humbrol 33 (black), to bring out some of the details on the seats, instrument panel and bulkhead. There is no detail on the fuselage halves, so I didn't brush those:

P1020915_zps04e89f3c.jpg

A good bit of progress on the Stuka this afternoon; I have assembled the engine/nose/intake section:

P1020924_zpsda2e17dc.jpg

Then I drilled the holes in the lower wing for the bomb fixings, following the instructions. This was done with the knife, making 4 holes in each wing and a slot in the centre:

P1020928_zps0ff84efb.jpg

Then I fixed the upper wing parts to the lower wing:

P1020930_zpsba706a53.jpg

• Like 1

I have just fixed the fuselage to the wing assembly:

P1020931_zpsb3b756c0.jpg

And then fixed the engine/nose assembly to the fuselage; no major issues in any of the construction so far, and is turning ito a nice neat build:

P1020934_zpsc12d3040.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 1

Just finished painting the wheels - humbrol black 33 and 240 (RLM 02). I may give the inner part a dry-brush to dirty them up a bit.

I like the nice big wheels the Stuka has; much easier to paint than my previous builds. For once, I am pleased with how they have turned out...seems a pity that most of the wheel will be hidden by the spats!

P1020943_zps9b511d6c.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 1

This afternoon I have dry-brushed the wheel interiors with black, to dirty the appearance. Then I assembled each undercarriage, and sanded and tidied them:

P1020945_zps08da266c.jpg

Then fixed them to the underside of the Stuka:

P1020952_zpse387116f.jpg

• Like 1

I have also just fitted the elevators to the rear fuselage; they just a narrow slot, so they had to be held in the correct position while the glue set. It wasn't easy to do by eye, so I used the lines on my cutting mat as guides and used a couple of clothespegs to adjust and hold the parts in position:

P1020959_zps7f637c88.jpg

• Like 1

A bit more work on the Stuka today; I have fitted the support struts under the elevators:

P1020960_zps6e412859.jpg

Also, I have constucted and painted the rear machine gun (painted humbrol 22 black and 53 gunmetal):

P1020965_zpsb048bb8e.jpg

And then I masked the outer frames of the canopy; there's lots of panels to do on the Stuka, so I will mask and paint it in stages:

P1020969_zps713b9cc5.jpg

Looking great. No idea the Italeri kit used Revell moulds.

Looks great so far. I've got a crappy old Airfix in the stash but I'm still looking forward to making it!