USS Chevalier 1:350, Almost done

Shar2

I'm going start this later in the week once I've got some other bits and bobs sorted. Not sure whether to do it as a display model on in a seascape, I'll have to see how I feel the build is going. It's the Dragon 1:350 USS Chevalier and I'll be using two sets of etch from Eduard.

boxart.jpg

• Like 1

Cool build.... should look great regardless of what you chose for the base.

So, reading some stuff online, she served as a DDR after WWII: basically a radar picket. Does that involve changing anything from her 1945 configuration?

Edited by -Neu-

20mm guns were removed on virtual all USN vessels after WWII Most active ships were retrofitted with radar controlled rapid fire 3inch 50cal DP guns replacing the 40mm Bofors mounts during the 1950's

• 2 weeks later...

Got the hull and deck parts together, although with some difficulty as each of the three parts were warped in different directions. Will need some filler and quite a bit of sanding to get right. Will get some photos when done.

• Like 1

Finally got the hull together, filled and painted. I've removed the quarterdeck 20mm splinter shield and filled the spaces where the guns and ammunition lockers were to go. I've also filled the other 20mm mounting holes. I've also managed to build the superstructure bulkheads so that they will be removeable for painting once I've added the etch doors . This means I can also do the finer painting of items such as the fire hoses etc before attaching to the main deck.

build13.jpg

build12.jpg

build1.jpg

build11.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like i've been building stuff for this model for ages, yet it doesn't look like I've done much. With most of the fiddly sub assemblies done it should start to take shape a lot quicker from now on. Anyway, here are the latest pics of it. The non-slip decals were blooming fiddly, but they seem to have settled down pretty well.

build2.jpg

build21.jpg

build22.jpg

build23.jpg

build24.jpg

• Like 4

Managed to get quite a bit done today. Just some touch ups on the paint, then it's on with the rigging and railings, oh and hunt down the correct style decals from the stash.

build3.jpg

build31.jpg

build32.jpg

build33.jpg

build34.jpg

• Like 3

Finished all bar the decals. Couldn't find my hi viz decals, so have had to order some more from WEM. Once they arrive and I've attached them then I will post the finished article in the gallery. Quite pleased with the way she turned out, but if I say I'm going to build another Dragon ship over the next year then please shoot me. :frantic: Oh yea, I need to sort out a couple of stray rigging wires too.

build4.jpg

build42.jpg

build43.jpg

build44.jpg

build46.jpg

build45.jpg

• Like 5

Dave, THAT is fantastic!!!!

Just breathtaking.....

So, now you've built a Dragon ship, what's the truth about them? I have a vested interest in this, coz i'm seriously thinking of making a start on the 1/350 Princeton i have in the stash when i finish my trumpy Queen Elizabeth.

Was it REALLY that harrowing an experience?

They are very detailed kits which with care can turn out real nice. It's just there are so many parts even for the smallest sub-assembly which gets quite tiresome and can lead to frustration plus a fair bit of swearing, which Panzer Vor!!! Will attest to. Saying that, the individual parts that make up the deck furniture does make for an easier paint experience, particularly if using an airbrush. My first Dragon ship was the Scharnhorst which nearly sent me over the edge.

• Like 1