Non-flying What-If chat

SeanM

Not wanting to detract from the What-if chat thread already in use, but it does seem to be focused mainly (only?) on those wingy-things. I know that's cos most people around here are into that sort of stuff, but if there are any who'd like to share past, present or future builds & ideas for What-if ground vehicles or ships then please add them.

Here are two Humvee based What-if vehicles I've done in the past, just to get things off the ground....well, actually staying on the ground.

A leatherman Humvee:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/Models/WIP/Leatherman15.jpg

And a Future Humvee:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/Models/WIP/FutureHumvee.jpg

The turret is from an M1117 Guardian.

Currently looking at the Trumpeter Fennek, which would look nice in IDF colours & markings with these two figures from Black Dog

http://img1.afv-news.com/2013/11/Israeli-woman-soldier-F35090.jpg

So, anyone got anything to add?

Cheers

Sean

• Like 2

Those are really cool Sean! My favorite by far is the leatherman Humvee. I was wondering what you could mean by that title, then clicked the link, and sure enough: Leatherman Humvee! Looks ready for whatever my come its way - and the extra set of wheels is very cool.

I quite agree. This would be a nice change although I admit that my first love is wingy thingys, I'm quite prepared to look for the odd diversion. I've a couple of ideas :

Imperial AT-AV (All Terrain Assault Vehicle) - using the Takom 1/35 Object 279 Heavy Tank. "Down"scaled to 1/72. If you haven't seen this thing, it looks straight out of Sci-Fi. Need to get hold of some 1/72 Imperial Stormtroopers (if such things exist!) to go with it

INS (Independent Navy of Scotland) Robert the Bruce - using the Trumpeter 1/350th USS Independence Class littoral combat vessel. This would OOB and a new paint job only - as these ships are designed for inshore operations, I think a camouflage scheme similar to the Norwegian navy's Skjold class patrol boats would be nice.

Allan

• Like 1

Thanks Cookenbacher. Both of those Humvees where done useing older builds which were no longer of acceptable quality....in fact they were pretty crap! The build log for the Leatherman can be seen http://www.ipmsireland.com/forum/yaf_postst675_Whatif-Leatherman-Humvee.aspx'>here

Hi Alan, I like that idea of the AT-AV. Would involve a lot of scratch building..... I have the Indepenance half-completed. The PE has defeated me for the moment but I will get back to her. That Norwegian scheme would be cool alright....

Edited by SeanM

Hi Sean, great to see something different in the whiffy section!

It does seem to be a bit lop sided towards the aviation side, so these are great to see.

I have to say my first whiffy was an old Airfix 88mm Halftrack and gun model, decided to mount the 88mm on the halftrack. Looked super cool to a 10yo and was my pride and joy in those big battles in the backyard!

Unfortunately I don't build many AFV's so I don't any to post in this section. Though the idea of something naval is interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any good links to photos of a what-if or post-apocalypse Landrover that could be based on one of the Hobbyboss Landy's

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any good links to photos of a what-if or post-apocalypse Landrover that could be based on one of the Hobbyboss Landy's

Join the Star Ship Modeler site, we have a whole Post-apocalypse area, I think you might find what you are looking for there.

I have some ideas for land based what-if's, as well as some that fly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bigh, I'm a regular browser over there.....

In another discussion on Armorama on the Stryker I mentioned that an AAA Stryker was an obvious ommission and candidate foer a what-of build. Someone then posted this prototype for Canada picture that was never progressed. Stryker body with ADATS turret.

101_0074.jpg

• Like 1

I like the flying saucer tank: was it insired by Iron Sky? Would have loved some kits of their tanks, but my scratch-building would not be up to the task

The disc of the Luftpanzer is from the old BANDAI "Hobuggy", from the curiously-named Xabungle anime series.

It was re-issued two years ago, and I bought several more. I now have another finished with a Pershing turret and American markings. A mate has built a Russian one with the turret of a JS-3. My last one is in need of a Trumpeter Type-74, or S-Model Sheridan turret, for a real flying-saucer vibe.

hobuggy_zps64747dff.jpg

Edited by rotorheadtx
  • Like 2

legend have released an ADATS (Air Defence, Anti-Tank system) for the M1113 but this might allow me now build a Stryker AAA variant. There was a proptotype MMEV (Multi Mission Effect Vehicle) based on the LAV III built for Canada but never taken up. A mean looking beast:

800px-MMEV.jpg

The ADATS is a bit different, but will still be an interesting build:

585px-ADATS_2008.JPG

So my Leatherman Humvee was not too far-fetched

Edited by SeanM
  • Like 1

Shows what i know about WWII....I would not have known that first one was a what-if.....looks too plauable ;)

Love the wee grass-hopper Rescue thing but not sure what or how it would rescue anything. But it does look cool....

Now the flying-saucer Pershing is more like the Iron Sky flying saucer tanks.... Have you ever seen that film? Cool stuff!