109 as Matchbox intended

Ok folks, here we go...I haven't been around my modelling bench much lately for one reason or another, so I thought I'd mark my return with a traditional Deanflyer bit of silliness...

I think we all know about Matchbox two colour kits, don't we?

yellow_zps7dc3acd9.jpg

How the good people at Matchbox thought that having two different colours of plastic negated the need for painting?

yellow1_zps47525c44.jpg

Well, I'm not really into 1/72 scale, so I thought it'd be interesting to build a larger and more up to date kit, but do it as Mr Matchbox intended. At Cosford, I secured a second hand Tamiya 1/48 109E and two appropriate pots of paint. So here we go, a Tamiya kit painted like a Matchbox kit...

Construction progressed speedily:

yellow2_zps27f01d0a.jpg

A slightly tricky bit of masking was required due to the strange way that the wings attach on the Matchbox kit...completely different to the one piece lower wing of the Tamiya kit, so I had to paint it to represent this:

yellow3_zps425f382a.jpg

Eventually it was all together, and coated with Klear:

yellow4_zps00822a2e.jpg

yellow5_zps1e8af564.jpg

yellow6_zps92b57d0f.jpg

I then added the decals, being careful to use only those that were included in the Matchbox kit - so, no stencils or swastikas. I was going to overcoat the decals with Klear afterwards, but I decided to leave them as that'd be closer to what Matchbox envisaged. So here we are, a 1/48 scale model painted to represent a 1/72 scale model:

yellow7_zpsdbd8b72c.jpg

yellow8_zps72b421ba.jpg

yellow10_zps641ed6a0.jpg

yellow9_zpsb6f5efda.jpg

yellow11_zpsaed9e18f.jpg

yellow13_zpsc7712d02.jpg

yellow14_zpsc8173038.jpg

So what do you reckon? Daft enough...?

Cheers,

Dean
  • Like 48

Ha ha ha ha! Excellent! I remember building that very Matchbox kit in the 80's. Great and different idea doing it in 1/48, very cool. You might just start something...

Are you now going to do the Matchbox kit as Tamiya intended?

• Like 8

Genius! it really looks good; I almost convinced myself that the yellow and brown was a proper colour scheme when I got to the 3/4 rear view picture.

Great stuff!

Karl

I can see some type of a group build coming on?
I've always loved some of the colours that Matchbox used... Further inspiration can be found here -
http://www.matchboxkits.org/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=3l238fl1ve4krmfvi5hkp3f494

OK - I'll do "Dooleybird" !!

Cheers.. And very well done .. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

Love it!!!

Just needs a hole in the bottom for the stand, & it'll be perfect!

I really CAN see this creating a trend on here, & it'll help shift gallons of garishly-coloured paint, too!

What was the worst colour-clashing sprues in the matchbox range?