Query: Hurricane Mk.I L1762 (313) YO*L

DaveCS

Hi folks,

hoping I can find some help here on the above listed subject matter. I'm trying to figure out the following for this particular airframe:

• what type of prop? (two blade or three blade?)
  • what type of wing? (fabric or metal)

Based on current research I have found the following info on the airframe:

first date: 2 March 1939 - Taken on charge at RCAF Station Sea Island, BC

Ex RAF L1762. Shipped to Vancouver. Used by A Flight, No. 1 (F) Squadron, at RCAF Station Sea Island, BC. To No. 3 Repair Depot, Vancouver on 6 June 1939. To Western Air Command 1 April 1940. Sent to UK with No. 1 (F) Squadron in 1940, coded "YO*L". Returned to RAF shortly after, but retained RCAF serial number. Operated by No. 6 (later No. 56) OTU, RAF, late 1940 / early 1941

via Bill Walker's site.

I would like to build one of the new Airfix kits but if this airframe was not fabric winged then I'm looking for another Canadian subject. Also if the airframe was fabric winged I am trying to figure out whether three or two bladed prop would be appropriate. I would like to build the airframe as it was after it returned back to the UK from Canuckland :D

Cheers,

Dave

Some links/info:

2-blade mentioned

photo

Whether (or when) it got a 3-blade is another question. Are you wanting to do it after being sent back to UK, or while in Canada?

bob

p.s. I'm sure [whatever that's worth!] that it would have had a fabric wing originally- the venturi was a relatively early piece of equipment, or rather, disappeared relatively early.

Edited by gingerbob

One minor point is that it will have initially have been fitted with a Merlin II engine and have a single-piece nose ring without the two small bulges on the nose at 5 and 7-o-clock. If refitted with the Merlin III it will have a two-piece nose ring with these bulges, as on the kit.

Edited by Graham Boak

Thanks Bob!!

Yes, I want to build the Mk I after it went back to the UK but retained the "313" RCAF Serial. I could, feasibly, put the DH prop on but the fact that it's a fabric wing makes me feel more comfortable in building the Airfix kit.

Cheers,
Dave

One minor point is that it will have initiallybeen fitted a Merlin II engine and have a single-piece nose ring without the two small bulges on the nose at 5 and 7-o-clock. If refitted with the Merlin III it will have a two-piece nose ring with these bulges, as on the kit.

Graham,

I thought the Merlin engined Hurricane's were built in Canada by CC&F. I was under the impression that this particular airframe was a Hawker built aircraft in a batch of 600 as per Caruana's "Famous Aircraft Of The World". Am I incorrect on this?

Curiously,

Dave

No, you are entirely right. The first batch were built with Merlin IIs, but many were re-engined. The Merlin III had power-offtakes for a vacuum pump to replace the venturi and the constant speed unit needed for the Rotol CS propeller. However, the little bulges are seen on aircraft that still have the venturi and the 2-blade (or even the DH) prop, so presumably the nose-ring was replaced when the Merlin III was fitted. Early Merlin IIIs lacked the goodies, and it was quite a while before enough Rotols appeared.

I think it safe to assume that L1762 will have been refitted with the Merlin III and probably a DH prop on or shortly after its return to the UK, but I don't know of any evidence. You can do this with the Airfix kit.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarification Graham! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Just to corroborate these points, I found a website which claimed that the first 430 (out of the initial block of 600) production aircraft L1547-L1987 were fabric winged.

It also stated that L1702 was the first to fitted with the Merlin III. All 600 were completed by October 1939.

So it's fair to say that L1762 started with a Merlin III and fabric wings, and maybe a 2-bladed prop. Anything might have been changed at repair shops over the next couple of years, but a change of prop seems a dead cert.

It also stated that L1702 was the first to fitted with the Merlin III.

So it's fair to say that L1762 started with a Merlin III and fabric wings, and maybe a 2-bladed prop. Anything might have been changed at repair shops over the next couple of years, but a change of prop seems a dead cert.

Looking at the photo, though, I can't see the 'split line' or bulge on the nose-ring, which I thought would be fitted if a Merlin III was installed. (And external venturi is fitted.)

bob

I can't either, but is the photo clear enough to rule them out? Granted not every Hurricane after L1702 can be guaranteed to have the Merlin III, but 60 airframes makes it likely for that one. There are photos of aircraft with DH props and the venturi, so the change over to vacuum pumps seems to have occurred after the engine change. Just not available in time, I suggest.