Hoping for a quick build of this Airfix Fairey Firefly V.

AirfixFireflyBox_zps182ee30f.jpg

Bought on 8th Nov 1996 for 3.99 - I've never built a Firefly before.

Anyway here are those nearly 18 year old parts

AirfixFireflyParts_zpsfc99627a.jpg

There is Korean War option - which is what I'll be completing as.

AirfixFireflyPaints_zps2cc22a55.jpg

Sadly, this is the aircraft that crashed at Duxford on 12 July 2003,

killing Lt Cdr William Murton, and Neil Rix. :poppy:

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

Nice. When I saw the title 'Fairey Firefly V' I thought it was going to be a Special Hobby kit so it's nice to see the Airfix getting an airing.

Sean

It's listed here as a 1966 release - but nothing printed on my fuselage.
Anyways, the cockpit is underway - now to paint pilots.
AirfixFireflyCockpit001_zps37827a82.jpg

It does have a folded option, but the parts aren't moveable.

The recognition stripes on the wings differ from box to instructions - can anyone show authoritatively for Korea

Good start! Although the kit has a few accuracy issues, I think it still looks the part and it is one of my favourites from that area.

Martin

Nice going with this. I know that this kit is criticised as being too skinny amongst other things but I've long liked the look of it & with skilful modelling as you are showing it comes up looking very good. :)

Steve.

Well last night I was about to declare an InBuildEmergency.
The canopy and rear hood were missing - leaving my Firefly like this:
AirfixFireflyLostCanopy_zps9ac49bd0.jpg
I was furious with myself for such carelessness.

Today they turned up
AirfixFireflyCanopy002_zpsf18ca349.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 3

I first saw the Firefly fly circa 1987. That one crashed, eventually. When it started up, there were two guys with fire extinguishers either side of the nose just in case (maybe something to do with the Coffman starter). The air show announcer wasn't very complimentary of it. When describing its top speed of over 400mph, he added "that would be in a bit of a dive, obviously".

Good, quick build, Nick.

• Like 1

A Fulmar's top speed was less than 300 mph. The Firefly V had twice the power. Also, the restored one would have had no armor, and other weight-saving features. I do not doubt it coul surpass 400 mph in level flight.

Fantastic! A kit I'd dearly like to get my grubby little mitts on...she's looking good theplasticsurgeon...I take it with all the time left, there's going to be a squadron flight, mounted on a bit of a simulated grubby grey steel base, and no doubt maybe with one of them obscuring a big letter 'R'!

Well done, that was damned quick! And I haven't even painted my Sea Fury cockpits yet!