"The Boxted Three" (P-38J, P-47D and P-51B)

I built these three side by side in January and then completely lost interest in them (and modelling) after the decalling stage.

DSC_7886_zps704d177a.jpg

With the family away for Easter, I mustered the enthusiasm to get them finished. They are built from the box with the addition of tape seat straps and decals from Kits World and the spares box.

Despite being an expensive kit, the P-38J was not an easy build - in fact it was one of the worst-fitting kits that I have built recently. Lightnings were not normally based at Boxted (Station 150), but this one was attached to the 61st FS and given HV codes and the red markings.Used on July 25th 1944 by Col. Hub Zemke, it made an emergency landing at Boxted after being severely damaged by flak. The stars and bars and stencils were from the kit decal sheet, and the codes were from the "Kits World Mustang Numbering/Lettering/Kill Markings Camouflage Finish" sheet. The aerial is Ez-Line attached using super glue and accelerator.

DSC_7891_zps35a272eb.jpg

The HobbyBoss kits, by comparison were cheap and delightful to build (apart from the poorly fitting canopy on the P-47D.) The rather plain Thunderbolt was Capt Robert Johnson's assigned machine in early 1944. He shot down three enemy fighters flying this aircraft. The codes were from the same Kits World sheet as the Lightning (and may be a bit small). The tail number of 276234 was created from the kit number of 276594. This involved reversing and inverting the number "5" to create the "2" and cutting off part of the loop of the "9" to create the "3".

DSC_7887_zpsf49025b7.jpg

The P-51B is my salute to Lt. Col. James Howard of the 354th FG in early 1944. "Ding Hao!" is a Chinese expression of luck from Howard's time in the Far East flying with the AVG. The codes and tail number were from the the same Kits World sheet as the Lightning and Thunderbolt. The kill markings and the nose art are home-made decals.

All the models were painted with Lifecolor Olive Drab and Neutral Gray. I randomly misted some lighter OD to achieve a patchy finish and then a light wash of Raw Umber that was streaked with cotton buds. Finally, exhaust staining was achieved with Mig Black Smoke pigments.

I was hoping that finishing these three might motivate me to start my Airfix Tiger Moth, but I'm not sure that my modelling interest has yet been restored! :fraidnot:

Thanks for looking. You can see my other Boxted builds here.

• Like 8

A really great ensemble of charismatic aircraft, you've really fleshed it out with the historical background for each. They make a really nice group and a fitting addition to your Boxted builds. Nice work indeed, hope your modelling fire is soon rekindled.

• Like 1

Keep building, just so we can look at them! OK, that probably didn't help much, but I really enjoyed seeing these. How did you make the the nose art and kill markings for the P-51? Do you have an ALPS printer, or did you use white decal paper and do the world's best cut out?

Edit - Just read your WIP. World's best cut out it is!

Edited by Cookenbacher

A really great ensemble of charismatic aircraft, you've really fleshed it out with the historical background for each. They make a really nice group and a fitting addition to your Boxted builds. Nice work indeed, hope your modelling fire is soon rekindled.

Thanks Parabat. I'm pleased you liked the models and the stories behind them. I really want to start my Tiger moth, but....

Excellent series of drab green!

Glad you liked them Zigarten.

Keep building, just so we can look at them! OK, that probably didn't help much, but I really enjoyed seeing these. How did you make the the nose art and kill markings for the P-51? Do you have an ALPS printer, or did you use white decal paper and do the world's best cut out?

Edit - Just read your WIP. World's best cut out it is!

Thanks Cookenbacher, I'm pleased you liked looking at the models. As for the decals, I printed them onto white decal paper with my ink jet printer and sealed them with Halfords Clear Lacquer. I then cut them out with nail scissors, before applying them to the model on a pool of Klear.

• Like 1

I'm glad you got them finished, they all look very good

Thanks very much, mate I'm pleased to have finally finished them. Maybe trying to complete three simultaneous builds was the problem? Since finishing them. I did a speed-build of a Hasegawa 1/200 C-47, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

• Like 1