Martin B-57b Canberra

Hi all. Well I have many projects on at the moment and I realized I actually enjoy having lots of stuff on the go and to keep changing from one to the other. Its one way to make the "Shelf of Doom" seem more a "Shelf of WIP"

The Canberra has been a long standing fave of mine aways. I miss holidays in wales seeing them fly around Barmouth.

I picked this kit up from Model Zone merry hill when they were sadly closing down. For a mere £2.99 ! You can't say no at that price...

4A4588E6-483C-4440-BA46-E03C45781CF0-215

I was a bit dubious about starting yet another build but I have been itching to do this so long and it does not look like its going to be a trial. I still am not sure what I am going to to with it yet.

The canopy is very shallow on this and much as I love the black scheme I have considered also a Whiff RAF machine as apparently ours might have been upgraded to this spec.

Or I might convert and scratch build a gold fish canopy and turn it into something like a T4... Maybe... But then it would not be a quick build.. But would look nice stood next to my 1/96 FROG Vulcan, This is 1/80 so pretty close.

57F5C846-B205-468B-9C98-7C60DA2E427F-215

I started getting the wings together.

B91316B1-AD4C-4C08-9F99-CDDDB9B9C81C-215

Then I could not resist having a quick look at her size and shape. Looks like a canberra alright. Quite big for the price too :)

6E83E270-38B2-44AB-B7B9-254660CDC3D3-215

The interior is incredibly crude but I LOVE IT ! its like something straight out a comic book and full of character and charm.

D44C12E5-C4BB-4F7A-A438-73A2406E0B95-215

D9563470-749B-4D87-9FB8-E09615E26B58-215

So what should I do with it. Any suggestions on interesting finishes. Or just alternate finishes.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 3

Rob,

Anything that is USAF gets MY undivided attention.

Love the Canberra...

I am sure I have seen one in India as a kid but I may be wrong..

Rob good luck , not that you need it...YOU always turn out so e great models..

Great, neat start already.

:worthy:

• Like 1

Rob,

Love the Canberra...

Cheers Houston. Your always such a supportive chap. I do my best. But I have turned out some rubbish before ahah.

Cheers Rob ;)

Great to see this on the bench Rob and those wings are a terrific blank canvas for one of John's patented re-scribing sessions. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Hi mate I think I might leave the rescribing to John.

This one is only small and doubt you would really see them anyway.

(Lazy).....

Well I have painted the chaps and pit grey so I can see them more clearly. It seems the pit is grey anyway on this one.

Looks like something from Return of The Jedi !

0A7DF87D-1766-43D3-9249-A25635C7D506-215

DEF59509-8696-4D8B-8D9B-58B53A1B9B0B-215

Cheers ;)

• Like 2

Rob,

Love the Canberra...

Good luck with the build! The b57 is one of my favourites!

I believe the Indian air force may have used them, perhaps the Pakistani AF too and up until fairly recently too

• Like 2

I believe the Indian air force may have used them, perhaps the Pakistani AF too and up until fairly recently too

Thanks. I do like the all black glossy scheme but I may do something different with it yet. Its an odd scale. Seeming near to 1/72 and near to 1/96 in 1:80 scale.

I guess with careful photography it could be displayed next to other scales to give an impression of distance.

Edited by robvulcan

The PAF used the B.57 and the Indian AF used the British Canberra's, the fist and perhaps the only time two warring sides were pitting Canberra against Canberra!

John

• Like 2

Looking good Rob, I've still to build mine, I really like the option in the kit, I think that's the one I'll go with when I do. I think the crew look really good considering the age of the kit.

John

It is a nice option I must say. Looks much better than the silver I think. Looks like something Batman would have.

I dunno why but this think reminds me of the original Batmobile. Something I would love to make if there is a kit.

WOW a Canberra kit you have not built yet..... Now that is something.. I would assume you would have build everything going.

Yea the crew look quite nice don't they Better with paint on and certainly better than nothing like some kits have.

• Like 1

Looking good Rob. Those two crew members for their age look far better than the Airfix monkey! The kits from that era have a nice simplicity about them.

Colin

• Like 1

Looking good Rob. Those two crew members for their age look far better than the Airfix monkey! The kits from that era have a nice simplicity about them.

Colin

Yes they look pretty good for the age. Certainly good enough to keep me happy. Certainly is quick and easy which is nice for a change.

;)

Right so more progress on this.

I have been working on the wings. I have fitted the Compressor face and exhaust. The exhausts were blank and were begging to be drilled out. So I drilled them.

I think its made a big difference to the look.

I am now wishing I had thought to scratch some basic wheel wells but.. "Oh well" (Pun intended in a pathetic attempt at humour)

2D43CAB3-7496-4DC2-B095-9E4A8F17E9FE-278

B8E94E32-89F4-49CD-B413-9BD3CB59BEB2-278

A581A036-C169-4DE2-BDDB-CC44CF50E071-278

Now I need to find some suitable nose weights.

• Like 1

Looking good Rob, I decided when I do mine I'll be putting it on some kind of stand with the gear up. The wheels aren't the best part of the kit. Revel made an odd choice of which pylons to add as the outer ones weren't used that often, I can't remember dose it come with stores?

John

• Like 1

Looking good Rob, I decided when I do mine I'll be putting it on some kind of stand with the gear up. The wheels aren't the best part of the kit. Revel made an odd choice of which pylons to add as the outer ones weren't used that often, I can't remember dose it come with stores?

John

Hmm I remember you saying a while back about the wheels being rough and they certainly don't look great. I quite often do in flight models as you know but This one I think I might do wheels down. However it does not look like there is much room to add the much needed nose weight which I understand is quite a lot with Canberra's.

I am not expert on load outs and I see that some require the use of a ruler to fit which is certainly a new one one me.

53625F8B-DD5A-4CC6-B80B-700D89870080-278

56EAE02F-BA0D-496B-82A1-DF4472677E10-278

8459E550-ED2F-4564-8E1A-8448E1CDBC37-278

I have not looked at the kit part yet but on those plans that nose wheel looks a bit tall to me. I will have to have an experiment with the wheels and tape it together and see how much weight she needs and if the wheels look acceptable.

Pilots are in now. Just give them a wash with citadel nuln oil again.

FE6F8B18-BEAF-4539-8330-B25D0CB03108-278

• Like 1

Well It took me a while to find some weights that were suitable and to figure out were to put them in this small model. But I got there in the end.

I heard Canberra's are notorious for being hard to stop them tail sitting..... Well , That is certainly true here !.

Its amazing how much that tail plane adds to the rear weight.

Ever heard of the term "Packin Weight !"

BA952E05-BB24-4067-B921-144AA519CE40-142

E080ED7B-6D36-474C-A4F2-690D8EB75AC6-142

292164DA-3BE9-42CE-BD1D-1D44D1087D3D-142

An they call the Vulcan the "Milliput Eater".. This thing is greedy. It does look pretty though and looks like a Canberra to me.

She also now has a satisfying heft to her.

• Like 1

Rob,

You seriously turn out some Fantastic models ..and modest with it too..

:thumbsup:

Your too kind. Before I joined Britmodeller Modelling was a lonely pastime that I did and did not know anyone else who did it.

For me it has always been something I have done because I love the real aircraft or whatever I am making and just enjoy making them and seeing how well I can do it.

It has always been a point of ridicule and something I used to be embarrassed about for everyone around me all my life until recently would say "what you doing that for," "your too old for that now they are for children", "you wanna get a life", "have you not got something better to do"

So Since going to shows and being on Britmodeller its opened my eyes and I see there are some who take it very seriously which I do but not in the same way to the point that some seem to have a certain kind of personality that I suppose you find in all walks of life but It surprised me that modellers have that.

Probably because I have been brainwashed since a child that its a silly thing to be doing.

However I have always seen it as an art form and a means of expression like painting, writing, music etc. I am a Professional Musician so for me its definitely a form of art and engineering.

The last few years its been a saviour for me as Its been a tough few years and its got me by. I don't normally model as much as I have the last 3 years but circumstances have thrown me into it and I have learned much more. My album has been held up due to computer issues. But now its back and soon I will be putting more effort into the music too.

Trouble is I have got so addicted and used to modelling now I can't stop..... Meeting people off here and going to shows has dragged me more into the dark side of this hobby and I love it !.

Yes I am humble I might be happy with it for me on a personal level and if others in enjoy it and get something from it that's wonderful. I have always found it hard to say I done good. I get kinda nervous showing any of my creations music or model. Whilst I love showing them and sharing in the love of art and expression I also am the first to point out all the errors wrong bits and sorta apologize for everything.

However I believe there is nothing wrong with someone being outwardly proud of what they have done they should be. If you don't love it why should someone else. Its just annoying when people brow beat you into submission and take it to far. Musicians can be bad for that. Or they can be quieter.

Cheers Houston :)

Anyway.. .... Update time.

She is mostly together now and sitting nicely. She needs a lot of tidying up and I have took some photos to show you how shes looking. Looks like a Canberra to me and I must say I love this little kit.

One thing though does anyone else think the Cockpit sits too low. I think it does. I was wondering about shimming it up on plasticcard hmm...

C74F27DA-82C1-4DF6-B309-6EA69EB324BB-142

83D820DA-B3B4-4B4A-B8DC-0A1FB26C9312-142

899AFC7D-6C53-4216-87CE-161F1606DEF2-142

C28BDB2E-86E1-4562-B928-BCB42F0693AC-142

• Like 4

Rob,

Good response and great updates..I am IMPRESSED.

keep up the hard work

:goodjob:

HAHA Yes typing far to much today. Looks like I am back in full swing. I always used to write war and peace.. Never know when to shut it do I ?

So on to the Canberra does anyone else thing that I should shim the Canopy up a little higher. ?

• Like 1

Fantastic Rob. Just had a quick scan through your progress and as you say the crew look like something from a Star Wars film but I was thinking one of the later (but earlier) films. I think that they look like something from the Clone Wars.

I like your approach to adding nose weight to your models, I don't think there is any danger to you creating a tail-sitter with your Victorian Engineering stylee. :winkgrin: Keep up the good work mate.

• Like 2

Fantastic Rob. Just had a quick scan through your progress and as you say the crew look like something from a Star Wars film but I was thinking one of the later (but earlier) films. I think that they look like something from the Clone Wars.

I like your approach to adding nose weight to your models, I don't think there is any danger to you creating a tail-sitter with your Victorian Engineering stylee. :winkgrin: Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers John. Yes does look sci-fi and that's kewl !,

Victorian style. Well I was brought up in Thatto heath and Rainhill were The Rocket run on the Liverpool and Manchester railway and I come from a long line of Engineers. Though I think they might tut at my approach to most things.

Right Update :

I really love the way this kit looks but the one thing I can't get on with is the canopy. I can't complain for £2.99. Good price for this kit I recon, Wish I had bought more now. Its a nice build.

The Canopy is far too shallow I have decided looking at photos.

I cant do anything with the molding which should have taller sides. But I can shim it with 2 layers of thin plasticard from drawing around the Canopy part which is two small for the cockpit aperture anyhow.

Weather this will improve or make it worse I don't know It might make the Canberra look a bit bet but the crew is doing to have to stick their heads up a bit more if they are going to see were they are going..

C3D67B55-4161-4CA0-8619-EDE22BEDC77B-512

E65D09A9-22EA-4E0F-B75F-40D49F3487FF-512

Shaping up nicely Rob,good work with the canopy, at least it looks the right width, better than Airfix managed! :)

John

Cheers John, It certainly don't look bad but I thought I would try shims for 2 reasons not just to try and improve the look but it just don't fit.

By the way I noticed this morning Revell did a goldfish bowl Canberra berfore this one simply called "British Canberra whip it kit"

Ever heard of it ?