Airfix 72nd scale TigerMoth as G-ANSM

Astonishing at this scale. Not only exceptional modelling but the setting and lighting for the photography compliments this little jewel perfectly. Congratulations.

I am sure this is a build that will inspire many modelers (including me!)

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Winenut, I'm glad you like my Tiggie and I appreciate the kind words, cheers.

Hi Andy, many thanks for the generous comments, again, much appreciated. If my model inspires anybody then I'm chuffed to bits. Alot of the credit has to go to Airfix for turning out such a diamond (see what I did there? Jewel....diamond..... :rolleyes: ...I'll get my :coat:) of a kit.

Cheers.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seconded! Rigging and paint finish is excellent, just compared your pics to the real thing and it really needs some effort to tell them apart.

Might I add the decals look excellent too!

Thirded....

I'm not sure how I missed this first time around - but I'm glad I found it now.

I really like the effect produced by the washes. Just about perfectly pitched. You don't mention using oils over acrylic - so how did you do it?

Sorry for being so late.......

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Andy and Natter, thanks for the kind words, glad you like her.

I really like the effect produced by the washes. You don't mention using oils over acrylic - so how did you do it?

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for dropping by and good to see you here. FWIW it was threads like your Chipmunk build that inspired me to add a little extra to the TigerMoth so my thanks to you.

I've used oils for washes in the past but on this build I used thinned acrylics. My favourites are from Citadel Miniatures (Games Workshop) and Valejo.As per normal, these were applied over the gloss coat that sealed the decals. Acrylic paint dries quickly so it's easy to get an unsightly dark, hard edge to acrylic washes. To combat that effect I adopt a technique using pools of clear water on the areas where I'm applying the wash.

I use a paintbrush and wet the area thoroughly with water then apply a drop or two some very thinly mixed paint. The colour generally leaches through the water and across the whole area. I then use a dry paintbrush to wick away excess moisture from the centre of the panel I'm working on until I'm happy with the look. I'll often chase around toward the edges with the dry brush to soak up water until the wash just highlights the detail I want.

As an aside, I've found pastel powders very useful when adding general weathering and grime. Artist's chalk pastels can be ground into a fine powder and then applied with a stiff brush to the areas in question. It's easy to manipulate the powder with a slightly moist cotton bud and if things go wrong, it can all be removed with a damp rag or similar. (This medium works great for grime that is swept by the airstream. ) A quick pointer here, through experimentation I've found that starting with a lighter shade first and gradually getting darker pays dividends.

HTH

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Beautiful little model.

If I go through my logbooks, SM was the Tiger Moth that I was very lucky to have gained about 40-50 hours flying in the past. Is it still based at Sibson? I used to fly it all around the local area... A truly beautiful aircraft and one that I am delighted to see that someone has taken the time to model. Especially to such a great standard.

Well done on such a great build!

Chris

• Like 1

That is very very beautifully done and presented. Just made me put this on my

Shopping list.

Really great result there and I love the photos.

Is that a real background or a photo on a card ?

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

I've used oils for washes in the past but on this build I used thinned acrylics. My favourites are from Citadel Miniatures (Games Workshop) and Valejo.As per normal, these were applied over the gloss coat that sealed the decals. Acrylic paint dries quickly so it's easy to get an unsightly dark, hard edge to acrylic washes. To combat that effect I adopt a technique using pools of clear water on the areas where I'm applying the wash.

I use a paintbrush and wet the area thoroughly with water then apply a drop or two some very thinly mixed paint. The colour generally leaches through the water and across the whole area. I then use a dry paintbrush to wick away excess moisture from the centre of the panel I'm working on until I'm happy with the look. I'll often chase around toward the edges with the dry brush to soak up water until the wash just highlights the detail I want.

Interesting - ta. I do like the idea of working in acrylics rather than oils and I have a Games Workshop nearby in Harrogate. Does that mean you used an enamel gloss coat?

• Like 1

Hello folks,

Bill, most kind of you to say, many thanks.

I don't like the way airfix do the outer struts as the "jig" is to my mind a bit flimsy and I had difficulty removing it.

Rodders

Hi Rodders, I agree. This is one area where care is needed. Also, like others, I found some of the parts to be a little brittle. I'd advise anyone to take their time and be careful when removing the thinner parts from the sprues.

Hello Meatbox8, thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts. Glad you like her.

If I go through my logbooks, SM was the Tiger Moth that I was very lucky to have gained about 40-50 hours flying in the past. Is it still based at Sibson? I used to fly it all around the local area... A truly beautiful aircraft and one that I am delighted to see that someone has taken the time to model.

Chris

Hi Chris, so grateful for the kind words, many thanks. As far as I know, she's still based at Sibson. My flight was about a year ago and she was there then. I can't match your 40-50 hrs (lucky blighter) but my 45mins was extremely memorable. It's been a while since I did any flying but I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to fly her from Stamford down to Peterborough (following the railway line as a visual reference) then after I'd taken a few snaps, from Peterborough back toward Sibson and over the Nene Valley railway yards. In my untrained hands she seemed beautifully stable and forgiving. Responsive to any control inputs but gentle rather than snappy. I enjoyed and savoured every second. When my six numbers come up a Tiggy is high on the list! :winkgrin:

Just made me put this on my
Shopping list.

Is that a real background or a photo on a card ?

Cheers Rob :)

Hi Rob, good to hear from you. Thanks for dropping by and adding your generous comments.

You won't be disappointed by your purchase.

I photographed the model against a photographic card backdrop. She's sitting on a piece of scenic grassmat favoured by railway modellers and the backdrop sits behind that. If you are considering this technique may I offer a couple of pointers?

tn_Photosketch.jpg

I've found that leaving a gap between the base and backdrop helps to alleviate unwanted shadows creeping up the image. It's important to take perspective into account too so try to take the pictures from what would be eye-line for optimum realism. You can see that the background image I chose is distant without any buildings or structures that might throw the perspective off. I also chose a day to photograph the backdrop scene when the sunlight was n't to bold. Doing that means the shadows on the background image are less harsh so blend more easily with the foreground. Paradoxically I have found that taking images of the model work best in full sunshine and although they are not the best for picking out detail full sunshine on the model does somehow look more real.

If you are able to use a longer focal length of lens the results might even be further enhanced. You'll obviously need to be farther away from the subject but reducing the distortion that shorter focal lengths cause gives a more 1:1 appearance. A tripod is useful too. I tend to use the timer on my camera so that I avoid any shake as I press the shutter button. HTH

Helloo S48, I'm thrilled that you like the photos. Thank you muchly

Interesting - ta. I do like the idea of working in acrylics rather than oils and I have a Games Workshop nearby in Harrogate. Does that mean you used an enamel gloss coat?

Hi Steve, more through luck than judgement I managed with a gloss coat of clear floor polish although now that you mention it, enamel might have been less risky. Truth be told though I have n't (thus far) had any issues using acrylic wash over acrylic gloss as long as I've left the gloss to cure for long enough. 24hrs has always been more than enough in my experience and typically much less than that. (Not renowned for my patience, me. :coolio: )

BTW, if you're making a trip to GW you might have a little look at their proprietary washes. I'm sure that the staff would be happy to demonstrate the way they work in store before you purchase. Those washes are specifically designed to enhance detail and are n't quite as bold as some others on the market. I'm a big fan of GW paint products. One last nugget to consider Steve. I have seen some modellers use different coloured washes over different paint colours. Granted these have usually been brown washes over brown camouflage and green washes over green cammo etc but I could n't help wondering what that technique would look like on something like your current JP builds. :hmmm: Anyhoo, hope the above helps.

Glenn, Dave, I'm very grateful to you for your kind words. I'm thrilled to bits that you like my little Tiggy. Thanks for stopping by.

You guys are the best. Thank you all so much.

Cheers.

Edit: Punctuation, spelling and general tidying up.

Edit #2 Image added

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Great info on the photography an yes thinking of giving it ago.

I do mess with gimp photo editor to make flying shots and I took some pics of my pit road vulcan xh535 with a real background on top of the car on my dio.

But the effect with the backdrop is a good idea so I shall have a try as It will save fuel driving trying to find a location were I am not gonna get stopped by people asking aggressively "What's ya up too!!"

Yes sunlight is best I find. Everything looks better in daylight , except for myself haha.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Great info on the photography an yes thinking of giving it ago.

I do mess with gimp photo editor to make flying shots and I took some pics of my pit road vulcan xh535 with a real background on top of the car on my dio.

But the effect with the backdrop is a good idea so I shall have a try as It will save fuel driving trying to find a location were I am not gonna get stopped by people asking aggressively "What's ya up too!!"

Yes sunlight is best I find. Everything looks better in daylight , except for myself haha.

Cheers Rob ;)

Lol Rob :)

thank you for explaining how you did the photography

anthony

Thank you Anthony, you are very welcome.

Cheers.