hms Royal Oak

does any one know of a kit for her? or a sister ship that i can modify? my Great uncle William was a MEM on her and died when she was sunk in Scapa Flow. The only ones i have seen are tiny ones forwar gaming. any help would be cool, and if i can find one i will be picking brains as i usually build afv's and aircraft.

jeff

roughly how big is 1/700? i saw the wsw review and it looks a nice kit, but i'm sure i saw a penny propped up next to it and it looks tiny. i know she was a revenge class ship, so wondering if i could find another shipp and adapt it. not holding my breath though lol

roughly how big is 1/700? i saw the wsw review and it looks a nice kit, but i'm sure i saw a penny propped up next to it and it looks tiny. i know she was a revenge class ship, so wondering if i could find another shipp and adapt it. not holding my breath though lol

It should work out at just a mite over 27cm. I converted the real ships length into 1/700 scale.

Also if you can find it there is this, I have no idea how much conversion you would need to do though,

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=144898

Hope this helps

I would guess roughly 27cm, probably no larger than that. They were similar to the Queen Elizabeth class in configuration, but slightly shorter in length; a bit of surgery on one of the less modified Trumpeter QEs is an option.

Regards, Ross.

A quick look at the designs of both class reveals a few obstacles to converting from a QE class:

Length

Funnel configuration

Fore deck shape

Secondary armament positions

Bridge tower configuration

Torpedo bulge

There are possibly some more significant differences that I haven't spotted (eg freeboard).

Hope that's of some help.

Ross

There's an old FROG 1/500 kit of HMS Revenge that crops up from time to time, mainly from Eastern Europe. Not sure of the differences between her and her sister ship Royal Oak. By modern standards it'll be pretty crude anyway.

If you are concerned about the difficulty of a resin ship kit, then there are a large number of smaller vessels that you could start on but the good ones are likely to appear even more frightening than the Royal Oak. The WEM destroyers are lovely but the etched brass is fearful to the inexperienced eye! If it is just being a ship model in 1/700, then start with the Tamiya V/W class destroyer, many of which will have spent their time in company with the Royal Oak so will make a good partner.

Resins aren't greatly different to plastics, but you do have to allow for the more brittle nature of the material and that it may come slightly deformed - warm water and finger pressure will sort it out, but brass gun barrels are available if you're fussy. Yes, this will be a major time-consumer, which is perhaps a good reason for not getting another resin kit for practise - you'll be much more likely to persevere with the RO because you have a reason for it.

I wonder if a Trumpeter version of a Revenge class is on the cards in the next five years or so? I must say I was surprised to see the Roberts class make it to their catalogue ahead of Royal oak; I didn't even know those ships existed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just started one in 1/350. Hope it turns out well :)

I'm not sure whether to go full hull or waterline so I'm just doing the whole lot and will decide later. I decided to add the torpedo bulges after building the basic hull and armour belts.

20151226_161707_zpshfwyngq2.jpg