Mustang Mk.IV, jaws! or RAF shark

Hello guys, last 14 days i was working on this baby. Felt i need to do something for rest, so decided to give a go on the Airfix 1/72 P-51D mustang, along with Eduards PE set. But because there are tons of Lollipoops all around, i wanted to make it a bit diferent. And because i had spare decals for shark mouth (from revells B mustang) and GA code letters (from swords P-40K) it was quite easy.. :) Sadly, i did not find many info about the 112sqn mustangs, speaking about colours scheme, untill it was too late (ofc, mr. Murphy....), so the camouflage scheme is based on other RAF mustangs (and does not fit the 112sqn, sadly). But well, doesnt matter so much for me, i had fun with it anyway :)
I think this is the first build since i joined BM, where i did not made WIP thread - i realy felt i need some rest without any kind of pressure, should i fail or so.. So if you dont mind, just two or three images from build.

Cockpit was just quickly painted. Used some PE parts from Eduard set, but i left the cockpit side walls as it was(only made new oxygen hose from wire wired around other wire - huh... ;) ) - the PE side walls were too falt and i dont like the pre-painted side walls bcs you can see the texture from printer on it.. I m not sure if the RAF mustangs had the wooden floor or not, but i wanted to try it. At first, i wanted to make it from real wood (safety matches), but the structure ofc did not look too good, so i just painted it. Its too rough, i know :(

001.jpg

I did some stressed surface around - thanks spiton, used your way :) (i did not want to overdo it as in this scale it would be probably not noticeable, but i wanted to try how it looks - you can see it if you know where to look or when the kit is angled right way, but the photos cannt catch it so good, sadly ). Also i did some rivet work on the airframe - i know the general idea is, the mustangs had the wing panels and rivets puttied. But you can find out there photos of mustangs wings with quite visible rivets, so in the name of practicing.. ;) Here after some base paint work. So far it looks so clean.. but that should change soon.

011.jpg

After decals were set i gave it few coats of future (klear) stuff and followed Jamie Haggo´s step by step oil paints weathering what i found on his blog - i have to practice it a lot and a LOT more, but his blog realy helped me a lot. I have only like 5 oil colours so far, so using this limted palette, after fading the camouflage colours and darkening the surface here and there (wanted to achieve some dirty look), this is where i was :

022.jpg

Its not so good visible, the phone camera cannt catch the colours so good.. :(

Anyway, this is RFI, so i m sorry for showing a bit of the progressing and lets go to the finished kit.

It was nice sunny day so i thought i would try to make some photos outside.

042.jpg

043.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

049.jpg

051.jpg

053.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

The sunshine shows the colours realy nice and on the photos its very close to what it looks in reality. Sadly, the bright side doesnt allow the phone camera to catch the weathering good. So i made few more shots inside, where the weathering is a bit better to see.

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 14

The promissed photos from inside. Still its not the best, i have to realy buy some real camera, the phone cant catch the gentle colour changes :( But its the best i can make for now :)

057.jpg

063.jpg

068.jpg

066.jpg

056.jpg

055.jpg

069.jpg

072.jpg

071.jpg

075.jpg

060.jpg

077.jpg

076.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

084.jpg

082.jpg

081.jpg

080.jpg

the 3 lights on bottom of wing are made from self-adhesive "fake" jewellery, i found this tip here on BM, thanks to whoever was it (sorry, dont remember the name :( )

i wanted to make something more special on it, so decided to finish the u/c main doors in this "pig-dog" position :) As far as i know, when the engine was shut down, the hydraulic system could not hold enough pressure to keep the main doors closed, so these were slowly opening, each on its own.

also, i m sorry, i lost one of the fuel tank red closure (its self-adhesive PE) when i was taking the kit outside for photos :(

and speaking about that, i see i forgot to make the fuel leak stains and marks on the wings.. damn..

Anyway, i m sorry for so photo heavy post guys, but thanks a lot for watching this and spending your time here. Please, if you could leave some feedback, what should be done better (this is by far no perfect), what doesnt look too good (for example i know i overdid the dusting inside of the wheel wells... my mistake) and so on. No worry, i wont bite you for criticism :) I want to get better and want to know where should i improve (ok, everywhere, but you know what i mean :) ). So hope you ll like this mustang a bit and realy, any feedback is much appreciated :) Thanks guys

• Like 7

Thanks Graham, i did not know about that :) I ll remmeber that for future (obviously english is not my nature language and such a delicate stuff like numbers and that are too much for me, so thanks :) )

Superb build and finish,that has to be one of the best Mustangs of ANY scale I have had the pleasure of seeing on this forum,looks more like

a much larger scale than it is! which is testament to the work you have put into it,

• Like 1

Lovely job indeed! I must admit that the NMF USAAF Mustangs generally bore me to tears, but I love the camouflaged versions, whatever the year.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot guys for your nice comments, i m realy happy you like it :) Many of the comments are obviously realy tooooo kind, but i appreciate it (now, hwo would not :) )
I realy recommend to anyone to check the haggis models blog (dont know if i can give link here to such a stuff as i do not own it and its somewhat personal, but google should give you the link easy :) ), the guy makes awesome mindblowing weathering and i learned a lot just by reading it (now geting the know-how to hands thats diferent storry.. ;) ).

to Paul178 - i used oils just for the basic weathering (or well, first there was hairspray technique for the chipping, oils as scnd) of surface and pigments (pastels/chalks/charcoal) for the brownish mud/dust. I think each technique gives you something which the other cannt do that good, so from my view its best to combine more techniques :)

to Cookenbacher - its realy me who should thanks to you all for watching it guys :)

to sharkmouth - i guess you do ;)

Thanks Bri, i was realy having a lot of fun doing this. Actualy, often i had to put it away to slow down a bit, because i was worried iwould screw it by hasting it up too much. But you know, once you have fun while doing something, you are unstoppable ;)

Absolutely terrific work, Wolwe, both with the model and the photography. I too have enjoyed Jamie Haggo's blog, though my taste is for the more lightly weathered model, and this Mustang is a premier example. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Wolve82.

I cannot get tired of looking and seeing. MUSTANGS... They have that something special that makes MY

Heart beat when I see them, and Sir, your MUSTANG is GORGEOUS.... :heart:

I think its Effulgence outshines other aircrafts ... AWESOME build..

:heart::heart::wub:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

And yes I do read and peek at Jamie Haggis' s builds..he's JUST AS GREAT as you are..

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hey guys, i m sorry for responding back a bit later, it was a bit busy day yesterday. At first, realy thanks a lot to all of you for your nice words, realy makes me happy :yahoo: On the other hand, it makes a bit of pressure on me, to not disapoint you guys next time. Well, we ll see :)

to Houston - yea, i started to like mustangs as well :) just like some other planes, i might like mustang how it looks on ground more than in the air.. dont know, maybe its the siting position, with the wide u/c, making it looking so strong :)
one more little note Houston, i hope you wont take it bad at all - as much as it was nice to read such a things, i have to stay with feets on ground - i m miles and miles behind mr. Haggo and i m well aware of it :)

• Like 1