Super Hornets in the sunshine

Just brought these three down from the attic for an airing. It was really nice to see them with the sun glinting on the canopies so I thought I would take some shots and post them up.

They are all 1/72 with flaps lowered and detail added.

VFA-2 F/A-18F is from the Hasegawa kit

VFA-211 F/A-18F is Italeri with Print Scale decals

VFA-115 F/A-18E is Italeri with Aeromaster decals

SuperHornets1.jpg

SuperHornets3.jpg

SuperHornets2.jpg

SuperHornets4.jpg

SuperHornets5.jpg

SuperHornets7.jpg

SuperHornets6.jpg

• Like 8

That is a pretty awesome build! How did you achieve the flap droop effect (and flap covers)? Is it resin or some great construction skillz? Did you do anything for the hase' intakes?

Flaps we cut from the kit wings and re-profiled. I seem to remember quite a bit of Milliput and lots of sanding being involved. Covers were strips of plasticard. The flaps were held in place by thin brass wire going into the wing where the full size hinges are. This enabled them to be adjusted to the right angle. Kit hinges were then cut at the hinge point and added to wings/flaps. Don't think I did anything to the Hasegawa intakes. I did mess about with the Italeri intakes before fitting - I cut the trunking at the point where the interior white meets the exterior grey so that it was possible to paint them.

Very nice work, I really like the look of the marking schemes, particularly the VFA-2 scheme, it's like a homage to the F-14 in those markings.

Rich

Been staring at these for way too long - beautiful builds! The flaps must have taken as long as the rest of the kit - they look better than aftermarket.

How would you compare the Italeri and Hasegawa kits?

Hasegawa is overall better - but Italeri is much cheaper. Both have very limited cockpit detail. Hasegawa has annoying slightly oversize rivet detail. Italeri has raised panel lines so needs a rescribe. Undercarriage looks better on Hasegawa. Hasegawa also has the correctly outwards-angled wing pylons - Italeri needs some careful work to get them at the right angle. Hasegawa has nice drop tanks and AIM-9X sidewinders. Italeri stores are more basic.

• Like 1

Hasegawa is overall better - but Italeri is much cheaper. Both have very limited cockpit detail. Hasegawa has annoying slightly oversize rivet detail. Italeri has raised panel lines so needs a rescribe. Undercarriage looks better on Hasegawa. Hasegawa also has the correctly outwards-angled wing pylons - Italeri needs some careful work to get them at the right angle. Hasegawa has nice drop tanks and AIM-9X sidewinders. Italeri stores are more basic.

I would agree with that assessment. I too have built several of the Hasegawa 1:72 F/A-18F Super Hornets (Block 1 and Block 2) and really like the accuracy and detail. I also fin that the fit is very good also requiring little filler. The rivets are a tad oversize but they come out nicely with a panel wash. I had an Italeri kit once and having just completed a Hasegawa build, I really could not be bothered with it so I took the Prototype decals from it and flogged the kit on Ebay or something.

I have an NEF-18G build on ARC which used the Hasegawa kit as a base so feel free to check it out. It is on page 9 of the F-18 jet gallery.

• Like 1