Painting over filler - should the filler be sealed?

hendie

I am working on a model at the moment and in one section I used quite a large area of filler. I have primed the model but I can see the area where I used filler because of the difference in porosity between the original plastic and the new filler.

Should I treat the filler area somehow before final painting ? The final coat will be gloss, but I wasn't sure if I'd still be able to see the filler area because of the porosity issue.

I had considered treating the filler area with some diluted white glue - is this a suitable treatment or should I treat it some other way?

Depends on the filler. I find Milliput benefits from a sealing coat, but other fillers don't usually need one. Thinned PVA should do ok, or saturate it with superglue, or a put on a couple of coats of a clear varnish or colour similar to the surrounding plastic.

nice idea about the Klear - if I could get any. I am using that Holloway House stuff, which seems a lottery at best.

I have plenty of white glue, I think I'll give it a diluted coat followed by a light prime, and see how that turns out

Layers of thin CA. Let it soak in, cure, then another. It'll take a few layers (don't flood it, as the heat will do strange things to the filler), but it's quick and will allow you to smooth it with a fine sandpaper when it's dry.

White glue takes forever to dry, and shrinks, exaggerating the texture.

Hi Hendie,

I'd seal it with Klear if you can find it - try some of the Budget shops, you might find some still have the original, but I hear the new stuff works just as well. There is a YouTube video demonstrating it.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Don't use any PVA over the filler, it will cause all sorts of problems when you come to paint over it with your finish coats. I think the best option is to change your fillers. I use a 2 part polyester auto filler (Isopon in the UK) and once satisfied with the finish I wet sand it down to 1000 grade used wet. After that I apply 2-3 layers of primer and then use a single part spot repair putty/stopper by 3M. This is designed to fill any tiny scratches or pin holes that were left in the polyester filler layer. After that more primer, an overnight dry and a final flat off with 1200-1500 paper used wet will provide a flawless finish ready for your paints. Good prep work is essential. If you rush the filler stages you will end up with a poor surface which means poor paint, no matter how good a painter you are :)

• Like 2