Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Type 395 / Seafire Mk. XVII

Another Mk XVII Seafire.

The aeroplane depicted is SX358, No 800 NAS, Fleet Air Arm on HMS Triumph and at Hal Far, Malta in 1947.

(I've added some notes later in this thread on how I took these photos.)

My rather overly chipped rendition uses some cockpit Eduard PE but is pretty much OOB - including use of the very good kit decals.

Paint is Tamiya Sky XF-21 undersides and Vallejo Extra Dark Sea Grey on the uppers, both over a base coat of Alclad 2 Airframe Aluminium.

Having improved my research a bit since, I think this airframe, in 1947, should probably be on 3-spoke wheels. Oh well.

Another great kit from Airfix and one I hope to do again.

And the spare folding wings supplied with the kit were used to make a Mk XV when combined with the Spitfire Mk XII kit - see here for my Canadian 'all Airfix' Mk XV Seafire.

I have the Seafire Mk XV from Special Hobby too - 13-9/T (serial number unknown) of 806 squadron, Fleet Air Arm based at Trincomalee in 1945.

SeafireXVII-68.jpg

SeafireXVII-66.jpg

SeafireXVII-64.jpg

SeafireXVII-62.jpg

SeafireXVII-61.jpg

SeafireXVII-59.jpg

SeafireXVII-72.jpg

SeafireXVII-70.jpg

SeafireXVII-67.jpg

SeafireXVII-65.jpg

SeafireXVII-63.jpg

SeafireXVII-60.jpg

SeafireXVII-69.jpg

SeafireXVII-71.jpg

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 28

Like you say, a bit overdone on the chipping but wonderful workmanship just the same. A model you shud be proud of.

Martin

• Like 1

Very nice job, I like this immensely. Photography is excellent too...that sunburst sets her off beautifully. Very realistic model and well presented CplPunishment. Thank you!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, for the kind words on my humble efforts!

Much as I try for the more realistic angle, I will, when I'm back home in a day or so, add a shot from above and, hopefully, one of the cockpit.

Cheers.