ICM 1/35 scale Mercedes typ770K

With 3 weeks in Kiev, Ukraine on business I brought with me the Airfix WW2 bomber re supply kit but after spending a few hours each night for the past week, I was in need of another kit or kits. Last Sunday I bought a Zvezda Elephant German gun for about £12.50 but because it has figures included and I don't have any flesh coloured paint, I'll keep that until I return to the UK.

Today I bought the ICM kit of the thread title for around £10.75 much less than those advertised on eBay. The shop also had the open version and an Opel with five figures for about the same price - might get those next week.

I am limited to the Humbrol acrylic paints I brought with me and I only have paint brushes rather than an airbrush so I will be building it straight from the box. There are no rubber tyres, instead the wheels and tyres are made up from three or four parts laminated together to form the thickness. There is also the option of building it with the roof up or down and the same with the side windows. The plan is to have a diorama with the Elephant, the Merc and a Tamiya Kubelwagen. It is nice to have something different to build.

Regards,

Steve

I have started building the kit which began withe engine that had to be painted with two colours, black and steel. As I mentioned earlier I have a limited paint selection which from memory consists of Humbrol nos 33, 30, 29, 56, 64, 60 and 110. These are Matt black, Matt green, Matt brown, aluminium, grey, scarlet and wood brown. There should have also been 72 Khaki but this wasn't available as an acrylic paint. I was going to use 56 in place of steel but when I opened the new pot it seems to have dried out and is more like a thick paste! Instead I have used 64 which is totally the wrong colour but I should be able repaint the steel parts using Tamiya steel when get home in a couple of weeks. The body colour is either black or later scheme is Desert Yellow with brown of green striping - this would need to done with an airbrush rather than a brush. Again I have compromised and will use 110 for the body colour and will spray the yellow cam when I return to UK. I will be omitting all glazing until I get back to UK as I do not have any PVA or canopy glue with me.

The kit is going together quite well and quickly but my only criticism would be that some if the parts are so finely moulded and the plastic so brittle that some bits have broken and have then needed gluing back together. I have been using Revell cement with the needle applicator.

I began building the model late afternoon yesterday and have continued today. So far I have completed the chassis, suspension, tyres and have now started on the body. By building in sections I hope it will make it easier to disassemble and paint when I get back.

I will take some photos using my iPhone and will transfer them to laptop and then thread in a fortnight.

Regards,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Time for an update given that I have been back in UK for over a month. However, in this time I have been quite prolific. I have bought a huge stash of models including more armour related vehicles, planes, cars and diorama accessories. I also have an interest in model railways but my layout building has played second fiddle to my 1/35 activities. I have re sprayed the Mercedes in Tamiya dark yellow with life colour olive and signal brown striping to sides. I will be opting for windows down but hood up I think. I have built and painted a Zvesda Ferdinand Elephant SP gun and a Revell M4A1 Sherman tank. Both of these kits have Italeri brandings on their bases so I suppose that explains their origins. I have also built and painted a Revell Opel Blitz lorry and a Monogram post war 2.5 ton Deuce - the latter bought for £8 without instructions.

Included in my pile to go with these in their own dioramas are ICM Packard Twelve, Opel Admiral cabriolet, Merit M19 Diamond T tank transporter, Bren gun carrier and Tamiya Churchill. I also have a part kit of Soviet horse artillery minus their cannon that I hope to use as a trio of old codgers who being shown the engine if the Mercedes as an example if German engineering excellence whilst around them will be the Opel Blitz truck, Elephant, another smaller SP gun, motor bikes and a sidecar with German troops get into position for moving through a village or preparing for an ambush.

Once I have read up on how to upload photos to the site, I will provide some pictures.

Regards,

Steve

• 3 months later...

OK, since my last post in June, I have built the ICM Packard 12 but instead of painting it black as a Russian leader's car I have painted it US olive green and have used the spare decals from the Tamiya Universal Carrier. I have also built the Universal Carrier and one of the ICM Spitfires - the latter as a US aircraft in desert camouflage scheme. I am currently building the Tamiya Churchill which came with Eduard PE and a metal gun barrel. This is the first time I have used PE with a plastic kit. Some of the details are too fiddly and will be omitted but other parts such as plating and covers for fuel tanks including handles are worth the effort.

I have also built the Tamiya Chieftain, Land Rover Pink Panther and two quads and 25 pdr guns and limbers. I am in the process of building a diorama for these. One is in the firing position with gun crew and the other is one that has just arrived and is being directed into position. I managed to buy some 8th Army soldiers on patrol to represent the gun crew. I have also built the Airfix 1/72 Lancaster and Mosquito to go with the Airfix refuelling set and bomber re supply set.

On the model railway side I have attached some Comet Models GWR Centenery coach sides onto an airfix coach. I have also been building some Comet frets for the First class Kitchen coach for the same type of coach but I have decided to stop and attach the sides to another Airfix coach I have. I have a problem with my soldering iron but once it has been repaired, i will recommence my track building so that I can build the next section of my model railway.

I will take some pictures and upload them to this thread because they say a picture says a thousand words and that will save me having to type a description of everything I am doing or have done.

Regards,

Steve

• 4 months later...

I can't believe that I started building the Tamiya Churchill tank in September last year as I am still building it! Just this week I undercoated it in black before applying a Tamiya XF61 dark green base colour followed by a coating of future in preparation for the decals. Also being built are a pair of Revell 1/24 scale Dodge Challengers. The first kit had two styles of bonnet so when I saw another kit missing the bonnet for £5 on eBay as a buy it now, I decided to buy it. One is being painted metallic blue and the other, metallic green with a matt black bonnet with air scoop.

Amongst the items mentioned earlier in this thread, I have sold several models on eBay including the two Quad and 25 pdr guns and limber sets including the extra troops and sandbags, the Tamiya Chieftain, Tamiya Pink Panther finished in green, ICM Packard, Italeri Sherman, Trumpeter German SP gun, Tamiya motorbike and side car and Kubelwagen plus extra troops. I gain pleasure from building models but really, they take up too much space once built and I do not want to store them in boxes. I prefer to sell them on to people who might want to add further details, weather them or use them in dioramas that they are building. I have also sold the model railway coaches.

Building models is still my main area of interest and recently built items include a Tamiya M574 HQ tracked vehicle (I am currently painting the figures and furniture that came with the kit), Airfix Lancaster and Airfix Short Sunderland. With an imminent move overseas in the next few months, these items will find their way on to eBay. I have been adding kits to my stash and this currently includes the Merit M19 tank transporter, AFV early production Matador, Hobby Boss M4 tracked tractor, Revell 1/32 Mosquito, Revell 1/24 Lamborghini Diablo, Tamiya Horch, ICM Opel admiral, ICM 1/48 Spitfire, Model Art Budapest building with SP gun, Peco OO gauge turntable, Dapol OO gauge turntable, Ratio signals, AMT 1/25 International tractor unit, Airfix Matador and Airfix Bofors gun kit.

I have bought another soldering iron and want to restart building track for my existing model railway layout but also another, more manageable smaller layout. I have my "layout of a lifetime" which is based on Plymouth Friary station and MPD but I also want something smaller that can be built quicker that I can run stuff on now. I will continue to build pointwork for my ongoing layout project as well. The problem is that I need time and spare time is not in abundance at the moment as I have lots of DIY jobs on the house to do.

Over the past few months I have been buying tools and accessories to improve my modelling. A recent purchase has been a hold and fold from Historex because more and more models are including photo-etch parts and for bending, really need something better than pliers or tweezers to make defined bends. Weathering is a skill that has eluded me but during a recent visit to France, I bought a few modelling magazines that have some excellent guidance on weathering techniques, which I have been trying out. An example would be using artists pastels, scraped to produce a powder which is then applied to the underside of AFV tracks using enamel thinner to hold it in place. The same powder can be used on the underside of vehicles to resemble dried mud. I recently bought a load of artists enamel and gouache paints at an auction - I want to try using these for weathering vehicles and figures as described in the model magazines.

I would like to upload some photos of the models that I have built and sold but am unsure as to how to do that. I have my photos on my iPad so hopefully, it will be quite simple....