A Canberra for Uncle Sam

Thanks Rob, I hope it's more fun than the last one! After scanning and re-scaling all the relevant drawings from the Canberra AP, all nine of them! I’ve printed off the pages ready for the battle of the panel line! It’s an interesting exercise in so much as it reveals how much discrepancy there is between the kit and the drawings. The nose contours are quite close, but the other parts of the air frame have quite a few differences. The drawings in the AP were never meant to be a scale plan, but with the nose being so close it makes you think, well it dose me.

DSC05107_zps10159e2e.jpg
John
  • Like 3

Yes Rob, I just love it :banghead:

John

Its a risky game sometimes but rewarding. I would not mind a step by step talk through and lesson on how you go about it please. Tools techniques methods.

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

No problems Rob, I'll sort it out tomorrow when I start in earnest.

John

Great stuff. I don't know if I am doing it right, I am sure I can improve at the mo I use a dental tool and a knife. Also little files. Tamiya tape as a guide. Sometimes free hand but there must be a better way.

You seem to get through it really fast.

Cheers Rob ;)

Rob, this is how I do it. First the tools for the job, left to right we have,

1.Dymo tape

2.Dividers

3.1/48 Scale Aircraft Modelling ruler

4.1/72 Scale Aircraft Modelling ruler (this is much thinner than the 1/48 one)

5. Fine pencil

6. Tamiya Plastic Scriber.

DSC05109_zps92cf4bde.jpg

The first Job I do is to measure out the detail, then transpose the detail from my plans to the model using the dividers and pencil.

DSC05111_zps2d630d76.jpg

After I’ve drawn on all the detail that needs scribing on, I start the cutting process using the Tamiya scriber and the scale ruler. The thinner 1/72 ruler is good for more curved surfaces as it is much thinner and easier to bend.

DSC05115_zps52d5c98a.jpg

Job done!

DSC05117_zps3a206ed9.jpg

John

• Like 8

Well that's a brilliant Tutorial John thanks very much. You should put this in the tools and tips section.

You have given me a new shopping list now :winkgrin:

One thing is the tape. Were did you use this or is this for curved lines ?

Nice fast job too how long did it take you to do that wing.

Cheers Rob ;)

Sorry Rob I forgot the tape! When I get to do the joint around the fuselage the Dymo will be used, It's quite sticky and deep so it makes for a good edge to work with. The only down side to the Dymo is it loses its sticky quite quickly so I can only use it two or three times before I need a new bit. How long? I should have timed it but I didn't sorry, it wouldn't have been more than 20 mins though.

John

• Like 1

Sorry Rob I forgot the tape! When I get to do the joint around the fuselage the Dymo will be used, It's quite sticky and deep so it makes for a good edge to work with. The only down side to the Dymo is it loses its sticky quite quickly so I can only use it two or three times before I need a new bit. How long? I should have timed it but I didn't sorry, it wouldn't have been more than 20 mins though.

John

20 mins.. It too me 20 mins to just do this one line but I was doing it free hand going very gently with the dental tool and using tamiya tape as a guide.

Tape with a deep edge would make the job alot quicker. Is it flexable enough to do a curve like this.

20016340-3412-424A-88FE-390097797BA1-282

Cheers Rob ;)

I'll be following this with interest John and a big thank you for the quick guide on re-scribing. I seem to have most of the necessary equipment, if I use my old drafting dividers, but I will have to invest in a Tamiya scribing tool.

• Like 1

It should work OK Rob, you may need to do it in two stages though. Colin, can you remember which one it was?

John

Hi John, sadly not but maybe an email to Key Publishing and thier back issues department might elisit a good response. I don't keep my mags a rip out what I need for reference and then pass them on. Too little room in my cave!!!

Colin

This will be fun watching for me John. Someday I like to do the B.2 of The record flihgt. I already have the decals printed but that is all for now. Will at least wait for what you show us here.

Rene

Rene, which one are you planning to build? Is it the same as me or VX185?

Hi John, sadly not but maybe an email to Key Publishing and thier back issues department might elisit a good response. I don't keep my mags a rip out what I need for reference and then pass them on. Too little room in my cave!!!

Colin

Thanks Colin I'll give it a go.

John

Edited by canberra kid

Er -- right it is VX185 :banghead:

I did some minor research about two years ago and did so far only get the Airfix kit and the Alleycat fishbowl. Then I did the decals for the "nose art" before I put it down again because of other stuff to finish first.

Excellent - the more I can copy from you :winkgrin:

Rene

Er -- right it is VX185 :banghead:

I did some minor research about two years ago and did so far only get the Airfix kit and the Alleycat fishbowl. Then I did the decals for the "nose art" before I put it down again because of other stuff to finish first.

Excellent - the more I can copy from you :winkgrin:

Rene

Rene when you come to build VX185 let me know as she was quite a different aircraft.

John

• Like 1