Yipes! Well, here we go then.

Welcome to the runup thread for the Gloster Meteor STGB! And thank you MIsh, for setting us up! (I suppose it is my fault, after all.)

The Meteor is pioneer that was made in many forms by several aircraft manufacturers and used by many air forces. with many schemes. All are welcome here.
The rules to the GB are as follows.

1: The Group build will run from 10th October 2015 - 10th February, 2016.

2: Any Scale will be accepted, no what-ifs though, as the Meatbox has plenty of actual schemes and versions to choose from. As long as it's a Meteor or substantially based on a Meteor, it's in.

3: Entries must not be more than 25% complete at the start of the GB. If in doubt, please contact the GB host.

4: All builds must have a WIP thread showing progress. If you are building two or more almost identical models, they may be combined in the same thread.

5: No buying, selling or wanted items in the GB area.

6: Above all, have fun!! That's what this whole business is supposed to be about, after all.

I don't plan to have a vote or anything at the end (unless I'm talked into it), just a number of Meteor enthusiast's builds. If I've left anything out, let me know.

Now, those of you who expressed interest in the original thread ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952094-meteor-st-group-build/ ) jump on board here and let's see if we can't expand our base!

Michael

• Like 2

no what-ifs though, as the Meatbox has plenty of actual schemes and versions to choose from. As long as it's a Meteor or substantially based on a Meteor, it's in.

What!? You mean I can't do my twin J-75, swept wing biplane spaceship adaptation? But I have these Gloster blueprints... Hmm, I wonder what would fit "substantially based on a Meteor"? Don't worry, just having a bit of fun (which I suggest is permitted by the bylaws, see Rule 6). I mean, we gotta do something for the next 18 months! Hey, maybe I could actually complete a model? Or get my Meteor(s) up to 24%!

Definitely going to do a 616 Squadron white Mk.III. Or maybe one of the prototypes.

No, I know- a nice, slick, silver Mk.4... or 8...

Ah, but I've got that canopy for an NF.14.

Always thought that "company demonstrator" Trainer was pretty slick.

Wait, there's that goofy prone-pilot testbed!

Now I know what to do for the next 18 months!

bob

• Like 1

Actually Bob, I think the Meatbox was the starting point for the J-75... The problem for the conversion might be that bulbous observation canopy. And, of course, you'll have to decide if you want to put enough work in to deploy the atmosphere experiment package. Your choice!

:banghead:

Michael

I'm in, haven't decided what with yet, got a choice of F.4, T.7, F.8 or NF.11-14... ...I'll decide nearer the time, let's face it I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Wez

I'll be joining in with this one, sadly it a real long way off, but I should have a few left to do ;)

409216103.jpg

ie I have the following (you might say I like the meatbox!) F1, F4 x 2, F8 x 3, F9, T7 x 2, Matchbox NF x 8 and a trent powered one too.

:)

Dave

• Like 1

I'm still in! And plenty of time to wait for resin to come out for the hk models kit! Already got the intake correction set on the way and the kit in my hands next week. Looking forward to my first group build :-)

Oh cool - I'll put this on my list. I have two in stash but started both (one has just the cockpit parts primed - the other is well under the usual 20% too). I have enough on my list already so can spare at least one of the two for this GB: "Yellow Peril" or a two seater as WA662 with DIY decals. So count me in please.

Rene

Definitely in for this! I've got about two dozen Meteors of various marks in 1/72 and a load of conversions. Not sure yet what I'll be building but it's likely to be one of the more unusual members of the family, already done the Prototype, Trent and Prone so they're out!

Anyone doing a GB Banner?

Steve

I can make a GB banner, I have photoshop.

Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone has a surplus set of 74 Squadron F.4 decals they'd care to swap with me? I've asked a few times in the wanted section, but no dice.

• Like 1

I don't suppose anyone has a surplus set of 74 Squadron F.4 decals they'd care to swap with me? I've asked a few times in the wanted section, but no dice.

Seems like all you'd need is some code letters/numbers and a serial? 48th? I'll have to check.

bob

Hopefully I'll be joining you, and doing a few appropriate walkarounds.

Jet Age Museum (of which I'm a member) has just received a Meteor NF13,

which is a minor conversion from the Xtrakit Meteor NF kit that I bought yesterday.

S5000280_zpsaifcwoui.jpg

They've also got a Meteor F8, 2 T7s, and an F3 cockpit, plus several others in store.

And I've just been asked to build a T7 - WA591 by one of her restoration team.

Another Xtrakit to be sourced.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well if the Suez Crisis GB doesn't get up for 2015 then I'll be in for this.

Am keen to build a NF.13 or 14 is Israeli markings, would go nicely with the other Nightfighters.

Does anyone know if there is a 1/48 scale version available, conversion or complete? Else will have to drop down to 1/72.

Rich,

Classic Airframes made a very good (if a little tricky to build) NF.11/13 a few years back that can be made as an Israeli NF.13 out of the box except for the markings. You'll need help there, no IAF in the box. The kit may be getting a bit hard to find now, though. I saw at least one on Ebay UK.

Michael

eBay is my second home after work.........home home is third! :o(

I think I'll have time to find one, got quite a bit of info on these aircraft, so that part won't be hard.

Being a Classic Airframe model I know the build will be "interesting"!

We'll guess it's off to evilbay.........think my wife has been missing the endless stream of parcels! :o)

• Like 2