Dragon Kingtiger Late Production 1/35

Here we have a brilliant kit to do it is the Dragon Kingtiger Late Production 1/35. in the box you get all kinds of metal parts, Gun Barrel, Shell casings and more... Plenty off spare parts for your odds and sods box. Out the box as always, Can't afford any extras with my models. To paint it i used AK 1945 German Late War Colours. To weather i have used many including AK Wash for Dak Vehicles, AK Wash for Green Vehicles, also AK Track Rust, AK Dark Steel Pigments,AK Engine Grime and Engine Oil plus various other makes.For a good rust i use Modelmates rusty red weathering Liquid , very good product. I have put a couple of pictures here to see the Kingtiger without weathering and then you can judge yourself about if i have done too much or not enough. All comments welcome and hope you enjoy the few pictures i have put on Britmodeller,1_zps16835e79.jpg2_zpsba2423d8.jpg3_zps45de9f1b.jpg4_zps42c847f4.jpg5_zpsd274f8b3.jpg6_zps4aef1d55.jpg7_zpsf2b2a934.jpg8_zps72b4f4b6.jpg9_zps892660ff.jpg10_zps4658471e.jpg11_zps068311ab.jpg12_zps60cb1176.jpg

• Like 7

Looks much better with the weathering, and it already looked good :) I've not seen the applique track on the glacis before though - have you got any pictorial evidence, or did you just fancy putting some on? I thought that the front of a KT was pretty close to invulnerable to most tank rounds in stock form. No criticism intended, just want to broaden my knowledge ;)

• Like 1

good job' and very nicely weathered.

regards oz!.

• Like 1

Hi Panzer Vor!!!

"Panzer illustrated History of German Armed Forces in WW2" by MBI Publishing Company. Printed in Italy 1999. Yes very good book, and another one is Encyclopaedia of German Tanks of WW11.

Ah, that's such a great piece of work Fred, really good use of techniques. Excellent!

• Like 1

Weathering looks perfect, and not overdone at all - quite mild actually compared to some other finishes out there.

As for the b/w photo, that am sure is a Tiger I and was a normal location to carry a length of spare track.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Yes JackG, I have only done washes on the tank. No mud was used. I wanted to try to weather the tank without using dark earth . But maybe the next one I may go mad and overdo the tank with mud and all sorts of brown mush.

Excellent build Fredben, nice work on the camo & the weathering - I have to admit that shiny metal is a bugbear of mine as IMHO it wouldn't stay like that for long, being exposed to the elements.

I think the extra track actually detracts from an otherwise super job - Tiger II's had 150mm of armour on the glacis plate so it's kinda unnecessary!

Cheers

Patrick

• Like 1

Smashing build and paintwork.....Really like the worn paint effect. :coolio:

I thought that the front of a KT was pretty close to invulnerable to most tank rounds in stock form.

Far from it.....Late in the war the Germans had serious problems with their armour plate being too brittle. The blunt nosed 122mm AP round of an IS-2 or ISU-122 could crack the glacis plate of a Kingtiger and when the Russians (IIRC) tested the 88mm L71 of a Kingtiger on the armour of another the round passed right through the whole tank! :shutup:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

For all you purists out there who commented on whether the spare track was carried below the turret i have taken it off as you can see. Glad my work has started a debate regarding the King Tiger.

11-04-201410-21-16_zps1738a714.jpg

Great build and paintwork.

But I'd also lose the track on the glacis. I don't think there's any evidence for it, and besides it spoils the lines of the beast! :winkgrin:

I love the colours and that camo scheme - first time I've seen that AK set being used. I wouldn't mind getting some.

Edit: Missed your last photo - much better!! :goodjob:

Ian

Edited by IanC
  • Like 1

Yes Ian, It does look better without the track on the glacis, Don't know why I put it there in the first place.... Glad you like the colours and camo, I bought quite a few new items from AK directly, lot cheaper buying direct from them than a second supply chain.