Vickers Valiant B.2 Undercarriage

xvtonker

I'm looking to convert one of my Airfix Valiants to a B.2, and I was wondering whether anyone had any details of the undercarriage?

Any drawings or pictures, particularly of the main wheels would be gratefully received.

Thanks for looking.

XVTonker

• Like 1

It may have been Canberra tyres? But from the photos on the link and the ones on the model it didn't use Canberra hubs.

John

The hubs appear to be similar to the later type of Canberra wheels such as those included in the 1/48 Airfix kit. So I'm now looking for 1/72 versions...........

XVTonker :pilot:

The hubs appear to be similar to the later type of Canberra wheels such as those included in the 1/48 Airfix kit. So I'm now looking for 1/72 versions...........

Apologies Tonk, it looks like the Valiant in the photo had two types of hub the first? one dose look Canberra like, I can supply you with a wheel if you or some one can copy it for you, or I may be able to get 8 together from stores, I'll let you know soon as.

John

Apologies Tonk, it looks like the Valiant in the photo had two types of hub the first? one dose look Canberra like, I can supply you with a wheel if you or some one can copy it for you, or I may be able to get 8 together from stores, I'll let you know soon as.

John

Thanks for the offer John,

If you manage to find 8 wheels that would make things a heck of a lot easier. If not, one would be fine and I'll make a mould and cast some.

If you need any bits, decals or other odds & ends just let me know.

John C

aka

v891Mw.jpg

Found the photo. As you can see this Canberra has the multi-spoked wheels just like the B2 first had then when to the later 4 holed type. IIRC, the guy I was speaking to said it was easier to use existing wheels and tyres.

I not doubting your knowledge John - you certainly know you Canberra stuff.

Edited by wavodavo

I'm looking to convert one of my Airfix Valiants to a B.2, and I was wondering whether anyone had any details of the undercarriage?

Any drawings or pictures, particularly of the main wheels would be gratefully received.

Thanks for looking.

XVTonker

Please excuse my obvious ignorance of all things Valiant, but B2 ???

Edited by alpine_modeller

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 2:23 PM, alpine_modeller said:

Please excuse my obvious ignorance of all things Valiant, but B2 ???

kFB8U9.jpg

Also known as the Black Bomber. Longer forward fuselage, bogie undercarriage into Russian type fairings. This had extra strengthening in the wing spars for low level which is why it had different undercarriage.

Edited by wavodavo

CanberraWJ867-1a_zps2c5361de.jpg

Found the photo. As you can see this Canberra has the multi-spoked wheels just like the B2 first had then when to the later 4 holed type. IIRC, the guy I was speaking to said it was easier to use existing wheels and tyres.

I not doubting your knowledge John - you certainly know you Canberra stuff.

It's OK wavodavo, the Canberra had two main types of hub, the small wheel as in the above photo, and the big wheel as in the Airfix kit. The big wheel was introduced to cope with the increase in all up weight of the canberra B.6. This may also apply to the Valiant? I don't know,

John

VickersValiantB2WJ954-14.jpg

Also known as the Black Bomber. Longer forward fuselage, bogie undercarriage into Russian type fairings. This had extra strengthening in the wing spars for low level which is why it had different undercarriage.

Right, understand now. Another "What might have been without a certain Defence Minister" project. Thanks for the info.

If that's the same type as used on the Valiant B.2 then it's the small Canberra wheel you need to use John, the only choice you have is the excelent Aeroclub resin one.

John

Wicked, thanks for that John, Ill get in touch with John................

Too many John's!! :winkgrin:

XVTonker

If that's the same type as used on the Valiant B.2 then it's the small Canberra wheel you need to use John, the only choice you have is the excelent Aeroclub resin one.

John

Oops, forgot to ask, do you have John's contact details at Aeroclub, I'm sat at Heathrow airport waiting for a flight and haven't got access to my modelling stuf.....

Thanks

Hi,

on my opinion the B.2 used different wheels during its life. I presume early in its life kind of spoked wheels as shown and later the wheels already shown...

Sincerely,

Martin

Edited by MVW