Primer suggestions

Rickpadwick1801

Hi everyone,

I have never really gone for priming my builds before painting them.

I did prime my red arrows hawk and HMS astute builds and found it easier to paint them.

I am working on several kits which I will prime to ensure the paint adheres properly, but want to find out which primer is the best and is cost effective enough that I can use the can on several kits.

If anyone knows of large cans of primer, can they let me know who does the large can and how much they are ?

Thanks,

Rick

MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!
MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!MrSurfacer!!!

Can you provide links to your suggested primer to help me find them online ?

Has anyone ever used the halfords primer?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=158666&categoryId=165505&langId=-1

How many kits would a 590ml can of primer allow me to coat ?

Cheers,

Rick

How many kits would a 590ml can of primer allow me to coat ?

Loads of 1:144 models, very few 1:12 models...

More seriously, 590ml should be enough for 4 square metres - possibly 5.

I use both Halfords and a generic car plastic primer - depends which I buy.

Both cover well and do the job. Both are available in grey, white or red. And I get a fair number of models from each tin. I reckon about 10 1/72 kits from a tin. You use very little on a model.

The generic car spray is in a bigger tin - about 30 to 40% bigger than the Halfords and costs about 25% less.

I'm sure MrSurfacer would be better but its not available near me at all and I cant buy it by post either.

As for the Halfords primer, put it on in thin coats. Too heavy it blocks up detail and leaves a grainy surface. Put on the barest minimum. Rub the primer down with either 1500/2000 grade w&d paper or even a bit of denim cloth to get rid of any 'graininess'.

Be wary which Halfords primer you buy. One is just a primer, the other is a primer/filler, which you don't want.

I haven't got an airbrush and have never used any primer other than a small tin of the humbrol one.

I have to agree with Black Knight, Mr surfacer might be a better product but I have no idea where to get it from near me.

I'm looking forward to getting some of my pile of kits primed so that I can get to work on them especially my 2 F1 cars bodywork.

Cheers,

Rick

I always use any matt humbrol spray can. Its the best paint I have ever used. Its super fine. Cuts into the plastic, Self levels, and drys fast, Its also nigh on impossible to scratch off when dry its very tough, Shows up any flaws as it shrinks around everything as it dries. When you spray an acrylic or brush one over it, It will stick to it good and proper.

I hear halfords is good and I used to use it myself back in 2005. But I stopped when I found it Crumbles, goes soft like putty, Bleeds into places you don't want it too, But apparently back then there were problems with manufacturing, new rules, regs, and formulas, I hear its better now, But I get good results with the Humbrol cans (which back in the 90s were god awful) But the new ones are totally different and really amazing paints. Best of all they are only £3.99 from this website and they have a great fast service I buy all mine from them

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/category_final.asp?manufacturer=%27Humbrol%27&category=%27Humbrol%20Hobby%20Spray%20Paints%20and%20Varnishes%20150ml%27

I used Halford's for a while and had decent results... but when I moved to Tamiya's primer I never looked back. Halford's primer is not as fine as Tamiya's and this shows on the surface of kits with very fine details, the japanese product gives a much smoother finish.

Unfortunately the Tamiya spray cans are also more expensive and smaller, but a single can covers easily around 4 1/72 models

I always use any matt humbrol spray can. Its the best paint I have ever used. Its super fine. Cuts into the plastic, Self levels, and drys fast, Its also nigh on impossibaf scratch off when dry its very tough, Shows up any flaws as it shrinks around everything as it dries. When you spray an acrylic or brush one over it, It will stick to it good and proper.

I hear halfords is good and I used to use it myself back in 2005. But I stopped when I found it Crumbles, goes soft like putty, Bleeds into places you don't want it too, But apparently back then there were problems with manufacturing, new rules, regs, and formulas, I hear its better now, But I get good results with the Humbrol cans (which back in the 90s were god awful) But the new ones are totally different and really amazing paints. Best of all they are only £3.99 from this website and they have a great fast service I buy all mine from them

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/category_final.asp?manufacturer='Humbrol'&category='Humbrol%20Hobby%20Spray%20Paints%20and%20Varnishes%20150ml'

Thanks Rob,

I have just looked at the website you have given me and the prices are very good, but the only thing is that they charge £5 for a hazardous goods carriage surcharge. this has probably come in since the royal mail post rules changed about spray paints.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks Rob,

I have just looked at the website you have given me and the prices are very good, but the only thing is that they charge £5 for a hazardous goods carriage surcharge. this has probably come in since the royal mail post rules changed about spray paints.

Cheers,

Rick

Well I think we can blame the government for that and not them. I always buy in bulk from them as I get though loads of humbrol sprays. They're amazing.

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan

I've used Halfords, which worked fine for me. I've also used Humbrol rattle cans - 106, 165 & 164 and they worked OK too, but my primers of choice are Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane Primers in black, white, grey and German dark yellow. I bought them from Modelsforsale.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I have to agree with Ratch. Vallejo polyurethane primer is the best I have used. It is self-levelling and tough - try sanding it once it is dry! It's good value too, a few pounds for 200 mls, you wont get that from a rattle-can.

Best wishes,

PS If you have to sand it, I hear over painting he area with Klear before you sand it works like a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Halford's primer is not even close for modelling needs to MrSurfacer. The choice is yours but you've been warned

I would agree with this. However, Halfords primer is fine for "roughing out" to check filler and general prep work. After I'm happy with that I will switch to Tamiya Fine Surface Primer or Mr Surfacer as mentioned above. Both are, in my opinion, very fine primers and are so smooth, if applied correctly, that you can paint your colour coats straight onto them without any flatting of their surface. They are not the cheapest option but really do give a superior base for the top coats that follow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have mostly been using alclad grey primer with micro filler. It goes on well and dries in minutes. It seems to stick to the plastic well and I have had no reaction issues with enamel or acrylics over it. Can't reccomend it enough.

I have also used cheap poundland primer too, but the cans are small and seem to lose presure really quickly.

Matt.

This stuff VVV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autotek-Grey-Primer-Paint-Aerosol-Spray-500Ml-/281254753149?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item417c16f37d

Available in my local Mica Hardware for £3.79 a can. Honestly just as good as Halfords, if anything a bit finer. Used their grey and white primer and matt and gloss black paints, never had a problem with it. I won't buy Halfords primer again

Chris

Another vote for Halfords grey! I work pretty much exclusively in 1/32 and I don't feel any need to polish or rub down after application. Certainly, misting it on rather than drenching is sensible, but that's what you do anyway, right?!!

Mike