Handley Page Heyford Reference Material Needed

Navy Bird

Yes

Presumably these were passive, like those on the Bf 109? Or were they intended to serve some other purpose? There I go, showing off how much I don't know again! :)

Cheers,

Bill

prototype perhaps?

The prototype Mk.II, K3503 from the initial batch of Mk.Is, had an enclosed cockpit canopy with part of the front coaming cut away to improve view.

http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/heyford.html

So, is that a leading edge slat that I see deployed on the port wing?

Handley Page also developed the Handley Page Slat (or slot, see slats), an auxiliary airfoil mounted ahead and over the main wing, which formed a narrow opening running along the leading edge of the wing to improve airflow at high angles of attack.[2] The leading edge slat was simultaneously designed by the German aerodynamicist Gustav Lachmann, who was later employed by Handley Page. The design was so successful that licensing fees to other companies was their main source of income in the early 1920s.

Presumably these were passive, like those on the Bf 109? Or were they intended to serve some other purpose? There I go, showing off how much I don't know again! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Handley Page automatic slats were a patented system (also used on the 109 and others). They were gravity operated, and closed when sufficient airspeed (and dynamic pressure) was obtained. When airspeed dropped and dynamic pressure dropped, they deployed automatically. For the time they were quite advanced.

One of the links given above had a nice cutaway drawing made by Frank Monger (or Munger) dated 1995. Is that the one?

Hi Bill, I'm not sure on that question. If that was a new drawing in 1995 I imagine it wouldn't be the one in the Warplane Special. Many of the cutaway drawings that appeared in Flight International were Frank Munger's. I haven't found either of the publications I've mentioned yet - they're packed away in boxes in a shed with no inventory documentation to help me find them! I'm guessing that the (barely remembered) Humbrol mix for NIVO might be a bit lighter than the colour indicated by Nick's research.

Joseph

Hi Bill,

I have found back my copy of "warplane special" from scale models in 1982.

A special article inside about the Heyford and a nice close up line drawing of the nose part and a lovely cutaway by Tony Barnes.

Just drop me ( anyone else welcome of course ;))) a Mp if you need some scans.

cheers

olivier

Edited by JOAN

• 2 weeks later...

The latest (May) "Scale Aircraft Modelling" has a Heyford article in it.

(Apparently they were all painted in FS colours!)

Selwyn

If you are referring to the profile drawings in the centre spread, there is a valid reason. It's because the artist was asked by readers to provide FS equivalents to a colour, even if that colour/shade has no or is not an FS shade. You may note that he has also provided BS381 codes where he can on other drawings in the past. It's at the request of readers.

If you are referring to the profile drawings in the centre spread, there is a valid reason. It's because the artist was asked by readers to provide FS equivalents to a colour, even if that colour/shade has no or is not an FS shade. You may note that he has also provided BS381 codes where he can on other drawings in the past. It's at the request of readers.

But the way you should do it is should be stating the proper and correct colour callouts first then give equivilants, BS381c first as they give almost if not the correct matches, then go to FS colours as a guide to the equivilant alternatives.

By the way, none of the colours for heyfords were BS colours anyway as RAF camouflage colours were not part of BS381 c till postwar. And as far as i know the two colour brown green camoflage scheme for heyfords is still a bit of a mystery as there does not appear to be any definate picture reference showing this scheme. the Images in the article are dubious at best.

Its like giving a colour scheme for a US navy Phantom in approximate colours and then giving FS colours as an alternative!

Selwyn

• Like 2

The prototype Mk.II, K3503 from the initial batch of Mk.Is, had an enclosed cockpit canopy with part of the front coaming cut away to improve view.http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/heyford.htmlHandley Page also developed the Handley Page Slat (or slot, see slats), an auxiliary airfoil mounted ahead and over the main wing, which formed a narrow opening running along the leading edge of the wing to improve airflow at high angles of attack.[2] The leading edge slat was simultaneously designed by the German aerodynamicist Gustav Lachmann, who was later employed by Handley Page. The design was so successful that licensing fees to other companies was their main source of income in the early 1920s.

Hard to picture the Heyford as a Dive Bomber needing the Slat, it looks very regal and sedate to me

Hard to picture the Heyford as a Dive Bomber needing the Slat, it looks very regal and sedate to me

The slat wasn't for dive bombing. It was situated on the outer ends of the upper wing and were used to prevent the wing tips from stalling. A lot of aircraft from that time period used the patented Lachmann device.

Chris

The "high angles of attack" refers not to dive bombing but to the wing incidence relative to the horizontal when the wing is approaching the stalled condition, hence the need for slats to regress the point of stall.

John

Just curious, what was quoted as the nearest FS equivalent to NIVO? Knowing full well, of course, that there is no FS "match."

Cheers,

Bill

FS34096 is the closest given in the article Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya Bill,

I'm doing mine later this year so have been plugging away scraping together what refs can be found as well.

Most of what I've found has already been posted, but it might be worth directing you to Flight magazine, as the interior pictures, contemporary cutaway reproduced in the Profile publications all come from there second-hand, and the scans in the Flight archive are much better quality. These are all the relevant articles I could find:

06/07/33 P.666-672 Structural apsects of the construction. Lots of closeups of structure, not very useful.
20/07/33 P.718-720. Walkaround of a finished Heyford, but lots of factory internal views incl. w/op and nose gunner compartments
26/10/33 P.1065 Quite nice flight view showing upper wing

12/09/35 P. 277 Flight Mag visits no. 10 sq, lots of external closeups incl maintenance ladders
25/06/1936 P.672-3 The big side-on cutaway
22/06/39 P.632 Good close head-on showing nose glazing

You can search from here:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/default.aspx

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

A little belated I know, but I have just about got to the stage where I will be painting the interior of the fuselage on my Heyford and have a question.

I'd assume that the front monocoque part would have been finished in aircraft grey-green, being metal throughout. Does anyone know what the finish on the fabric section would have been?

The metal frames would presumably also be aircraft grey-green or would they have been stove-enamelled in another colour? There does appear to be some colour showing through the linen but it still looks very light to me Of course it could be caused by the way the sun is shining through and thus giving a false impression. Looking at the photos I have to hand I would guess that there was no red oxide coat applied and the bleeding through is from the NIVO top coat. So the colour would be unbleached linen with patches of NIVO bleeding through. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

• 5 years later...