Printed Model Display Bases (Various Scales)

Mike

Printed Model Display Bases
Various Scales – Coastal Kits

test.jpg

1:48 Aircraft on a 1:72 base for illustration only. Aircraft featured is the new AMK L-29 Delfin, reviewed and built here.

These display bases are a product of Gary at Coastal Kit's fertile (maybe furtive?) mind, and he has designed a number of styles that are printed in a durable matt vinyl finish on a Foamex board, which I'm reliably informed is wipeable, and will not lift or bubble away from the Foamex core. Available in all the major scales, they are sized to accommodate models appropriate for their background, and range from Carrier decks through runways to helipads and beyond. They can also do custom work on request, and have a number of easy-build 3D backgrounds suitable for AFVs and ships, although we have only the flat bases on hand to review.

The boards are lightweight, and ideally suited to fitting within a picture frame to add an easy border that will frame (sorry about the pun) your model and its backdrop. Of course there is no texture to the board other than those that are printed, so the effect is just that – an impression of a three-dimensional landscape. They are ideal for quick and easy displays for shows or photographing your latest creation, but if you're after something uber-real, you will need to do your own work. For dioramically (not a real word) challenged like myself however, they're a boon. A quick backdrop for your model that grounds it against a real-world scenario.

1:144 Helicopter Landing Pad 2

helipad.jpg

bin.jpg

1:144 Aircraft Display Base 2

sovietaircraft2.jpg

bin.jpg

Kandahar Airbase

kandahar.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 Aircraft Plank Hardstand

aircraftplank.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 Airfield Display Base 2

airfield.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 FOB Helmand Base

fobhelmand.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 WWII British Carrier Deck

britishcarrier.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 WWII Japanese Carrier Deck Display Base

ww2japancarrier.jpg

bin.jpg

1:48 HMS Ark Royal Carrier Deck

hmsarkroyal.jpg

bin.jpg

1:32(?) WWII US Carrier Deck

uscarrier.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion
Superbly printed and quite realistic – even the grass at the smaller scales looks good. If you can't or don't want to create your own diorama, these are for you, and as they're pretty reasonably priced, having a couple or more knocking about to take to shows or use as bases for your finished models in the cabinet or for photography won't break the bank. Almost every model looks better for the addition of a base.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 4

Dioramically not a real word..?

It is now! Its brilliant.

Diodrama ...........Its gone wrong.

Diography........... In a foreign country

Baby Dio..............tiny plant food for your dioramically postioned vegetation.

See? It makes sense.

Mike

My meds aren't due for another hour, thanks for the reminder though!

I've just had a look on their site and think the sea base setting looks really good so I've ordered a couple.

Thanks for the review and heads-up Mike

cheers

Mike

Dioramically not a real word..?

It is now! Its brilliant.

Diodrama ...........Its gone wrong.

Diography........... In a foreign country

Baby Dio..............tiny plant food for your dioramically postioned vegetation.

See? It makes sense.

So what's an autodiography?

I think the only one we got in 1:32 (which is to be confirmed as that scale) was the WWII US Carrier Deck. Just as good in terms of printing as the others - was it the quality of the pic on the one you linked to that you were concerned about?

I think the only one we got in 1:32 (which is to be confirmed as that scale) was the WWII US Carrier Deck. Just as good in terms of printing as the others - was it the quality of the pic on the one you linked to that you were concerned about?

Was a bit, just seemed a little underwhelming compared to the smaller 1's, shame there is no print inc the taxi markings, as though sat out in front of a HAS for example

I guess it depends what you want from it really. Without lines it can be used for WWII and more generic work - plus, there's nothing to stop you from masking a few lines and spraying them on yourself :)

• 1 month later...