Soviet KV-1 small turret - It snowed 'again' last night Tovarich! - *Updated 1504/2014*

Thought I'd try something new - for me at least - Wintering up my winter-white cammo'd KV-1, I've always felt it needed something 'extra' and I recently found a bottle of Vallejo Foam & Snow that I'd bought a while ago. I know it's not the best rendering but everyone has to start somewhere!

2014_04030003.jpg

Some Gloss varnish was also applied to depict snow thawing

2014_04030002.jpg

All comments welcome - and ideas of how to do things better.

Off to the Cosford Show tomorrow, will be on our Club Stand in Hall 3 under the Mosquito wing IF, you're in the neighbourhood?

UPDATE Sunday 13th April 2014

Got some Precision Ice & Snow from RobVulcan at Cosford last Sunday and have just tried it out!

1st layer----

2014_04130001.jpg

2nd layer---

2014_04130002.jpg

Final layer--- and with the excess knocked off

2014_04130004.jpg

What do you think???

OH! and it smells wonderful too. (Extra Hold Hairspray, 70p from my local ASDA)

Update Tuesday 15 April 2014

I have re-done the Snow effect once again - Hey! I gotta try... - apologies to all for this continuing saga! :mental:

2014_04150009.jpg

2014_04150014.jpg

2014_04150017.jpg

How am I doing so far :shrug:

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 5

I'm sure that looks better than my first attempt will!

I'd suggest a bit more build up on horizontal surfaces and go easy on the overhang from the top edges. Finally, when highlighting you consider the direction of the light, with this stuff think about how the snow would fall and where it would gather.

So, a good start now bulk it up a bit! :bounce:

I'm sure that looks better than my first attempt will!

I'd suggest a bit more build up on horizontal surfaces and go easy on the overhang from the top edges. Finally, when highlighting you consider the direction of the light, with this stuff think about how the snow would fall and where it would gather.

So, a good start now bulk it up a bit! :bounce:

I'll have my Foam & Snow in the toolbox for tomorrow (Cosford) so may have a chance to add more 'effect' as the day goes along.

I have to admit, I don't like it - not the model, but the Vallejo product I hasten to add!

To Mr it looks like foam, as if it's been doused by a fire tender.

My chosen method of depicting snow is baking soda & PVA glue. It's cheap & easy, the baking soda has a crystalline structure that feels like snow & sparkles when the light catches it.

Sorry to be a negative voice!

Cheers

Patrick

I have to admit, I don't like it - not the model, but the Vallejo product I hasten to add!

To Mr it looks like foam, as if it's been doused by a fire tender.

My chosen method of depicting snow is baking soda & PVA glue. It's cheap & easy, the baking soda has a crystalline structure that feels like snow & sparkles when the light catches it.

Sorry to be a negative voice!

Cheers

Patrick

That's OK Patrick, each to his own - and I'll admit, it does look a bit like spilt cream but I had to start somewhere. Hope to improve the effect though.

Doesn't the Baking Soda 'dull' over time?

That's really Old School, Blue Peter modelling - there's of good to be said for taking a step back

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1

Bit different Shermaniac, I was looking at that product the other day in a mag, was getting it to try out. Looks a bit like icing sugar on a cake !! But as you say got to try these things out, only way of learning. Knowing your other models you do it will be perfect when you improve the effect. cant wait to see what you do with it.

Bit different Shermaniac, I was looking at that product the other day in a mag, was getting it to try out. Looks a bit like icing sugar on a cake !! But as you say got to try these things out, only way of learning. Knowing your other models you do it will be perfect when you improve the effect. cant wait to see what you do with it.

Strangely enough fredben, neither can I - quite exciting isn't it, trying something new - Ooops! sorry, that's another way of saying 'Change' and apparently us guys don't like Change :shutup:

Ah well, too late now to 'Change' back........ watch this space!

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Hope the Precision Ice and Snow works for you.

Which kit is this and scale please ?

I am getting into armour Just been making my first ever tank a T-34 which Ironically I will be snowing up. Just something about the harshness of winter and the brutality of tanks that goes together and appeals to me.

Cheers and great seeing you at Cosford Rob ;)

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Hope the Precision Ice and Snow works for you.

Which kit is this and scale please ?

I am getting into armour Just been making my first ever tank a T-34 which Ironically I will be snowing up. Just something about the harshness of winter and the brutality of tanks that goes together and appeals to me.

Cheers and great seeing you at Cosford Rob ;)

Hi Rob, Yeah, good to finally meet. I really like your 'brush painted!!!!! Vulcans - fantastic finish you get.

This kit:

Trumpeter #00359 - 1/35th scale - KV-1 small turret (1 of 11 types available!) and a really easy kit to build, with no scary bits at all, and it even has link & length track - ideal for Armour novices

(The newer KV's have Indy Track but it's not a major issue, believe me).

If you're more keen on 1/48th scale, then HobbyBoss does the very same kit and 5 other KV's as well as T-34's (the T-34's have full interiors!) - I'm doing one of those too!

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1

Hi mate thanks for that. Well I am a total newb when it comes to tanks. The ones I went for were the very basic but cool armour fast from telford. 2 in one box appealed to me for the price.

But I do fancy something more refined. I am not fussy on scale but 1/35 seems a good option for detail and accessories. I like the idea for a diorama with a tank of some sort. Not sure which yet but I do like the look of this.

Cheers Rob ;)

That looks really good. I hope your enjoying it. The hair spray thing works well for a fast build up which I can see you would need here to cover over the other stuff.

If you use 3m photo mount or spray mount it is permanent but give much finer results. Takes a lot longer to build up but you get more control that way.

I am still experimenting with the stuff myself. You can do all sorts with it. The good bit is in glints in scale i.e. very gently like real stuff. best seen in natural light too. Also this I am told will not yellow. That is unless you soak it in something that is yellow (Frank Zappa song don't eat the yellow snow....;))

Just about to start using on a quick dio myself actually. One of my small Vulcans I have built for the Bomber Command table I want flying over a Canadian forest as around Goose Bay with a low level Blue Steel vulcan. I have no idea what its gonna look like as I have used bits of pointy sponge for fur trees.

Cheers Rob.

In today's 'instant gratification society' this stuff fills that bill exactly. :thumbsup:

You just have to do a bit of prep beforehand but nothing to drastic.

I'd tried to get some spray mount today to no avail - I actually have some already but, can I find it? Nah! :shrug:

I admit that it's not perfect :confused: but it is my first go at this.

One thing is, it will stand me in good stead for the upcoming Korean War GB now that I've Chosin one of my subject models to build LOL!

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1

In today's 'instant gratification society' this stuff fills that bill exactly. :thumbsup:

You just have to do a bit of prep beforehand but nothing to drastic.

I'd tried to get some spray mount today to no avail - I actually have some already but, can I find it? Nah! :shrug:

I admit that it's not perfect :confused: but it is my first go at this.

One thing is, it will stand me in good stead for the upcoming Korean War GB now that I've Chosin one of my subject models to build LOL!

Well its a great first attempt. I do recommend you experiment with it first. I am still doing so. Its not a product that can only be used one way. There are many ways.

Directional spray gives different wind driven results.

types of spray give different effects and rates of build up. Hairspray being quicker and coarser also removable.

3M Giving a much finer but permanent build up from frost to snow.

Silicone’s can be used to create imprint-able snow like track marks. (not tried this yet)

Also you can mix it with resins to create ice etc

We have also been experimenting mixing it with floor polish and PVA which you can do but try different brands. We likes astonish floor polish the best.

The new Johnsons klear is yellow unlike the old stuff.

Lots of stuff with this. Its fun for sure. Your right about it being quick to use. Something that is not the norm with modelling these days. But the advantage here is that when snow falls it lands everywhere without care. Thats what this does. But if your wanting a thawed look why not try masking off with blue tak. Might help you get that look.

Cheers Rob ;)

Cheers Rob, glad you like

Oh, don't worry, I'm gonna get some more use out of this stuff - Chosin Reservoir Scene for Korea GB starting this weekend is one definite probability

I have my Plausible Reality conversion here that needs a bit more and this will be a 'fresh' hull to work with.

Well its a great first attempt. I do recommend you experiment with it first. I am still doing so. Its not a product that can only be used one way. There are many ways.

Directional spray gives different wind driven results.

types of spray give different effects and rates of build up. Hairspray being quicker and coarser also removable.

3M Giving a much finer but permanent build up from frost to snow.

Silicone’s can be used to create imprint-able snow like track marks. (not tried this yet)

Also you can mix it with resins to create ice etc

We have also been experimenting mixing it with floor polish and PVA which you can do but try different brands. We likes astonish floor polish the best.

The new Johnsons klear is yellow unlike the old stuff.

Lots of stuff with this. Its fun for sure. Your right about it being quick to use. Something that is not the norm with modelling these days. But the advantage here is that when snow falls it lands everywhere without care. Thats what this does. But if your wanting a thawed look why not try masking off with blue tak. Might help you get that look.

Cheers Rob ;)

Unless like Zappa you want yellow snow!!! :winkgrin:

The Ice part is interesting for a future project

However, I mustn't go all out on winter scenes to the detriment of all else -gotta keep things 'in balance'

Hello all after a long absence. I used this product and am continuing to do so. I built this test Dio some time ago on this forum. I have more pics, or visit the page on '7 day tiger winter Tiger build' in diorama construction.

The point is if you take it seriously, there is nothing better for winter effects. i think the key is to follow the instructions properly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yodjIT4Gs0

If you treat it like a toy product you will get toy results. If you treat it with respect, you will get 100% realistic effects. I have used baking soda before but the scale is all wrong and mine yellowed with age. Also, it absorbs

moisture, something wlse I do not like. I have done some more work with this stuff which I will upload when I continue where I left off, except this time with my gorgeous Hobbyboss T-34 A proper model. :)

Below is my 'TEST' dio 1/54th toy Tiger.

DSCF2916_zps08d86f18.jpg

DSCF2913_zpsb27acffd.jpg

DSCF2075_zps18cf97b7.jpeg

DSCF2097_zpsbd232f7a.jpeg

DSCF2027_zps5a3c3bb1.jpeg

DSCF2066_zpsd5dd1cd4.jpeg

DSCF2143_zps9c12c7b6.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi lurcher1, yes, I saw your video - RobVulcan pointed me to it - from this I got the product from Rob

Believe me when I say that my next effort will be much better but I hope you liked my first attempt

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1

Hi lurcher1, yes, I saw your video - RobVulcan pointed me to it - from this I got the product from Rob

Believe me when I say that my next effort will be much better but I hope you liked my first attempt

I love your first attempt, mine looked the same. What I have found is that gradually you can control the product in the most un-controlled way if you see what I mean :)

It just get's better. Though ice, frost and snow were a major presence in many historic warfare scenarios, it is not represented because of the past difficulty to do this effectively. Have a gander at precision ice and snow's website how to guides and look at their youtube chanel too for help maybe. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Keep it up! :D

Hi mate. Nowt wrong with your first attempt it looks fab to me. But without reflection on the build if you would like me to be open with my thoughts. Its not your fault but the underlying snow effect Seems at odds with the effect of the new snow effect. But that can't be helped. Also a question. The snow on the top looks a little dimpled, Did you remove the excess before applying the second coats ?.

It looks great however and don't forget if your not happy with it you can remove it if its only attached with hair spray.

I always worry giving advice on here as I only know what I know and what I don't know would fill a library, I have been having a play tonight on my Vulcan dio.

It could be a lot better if I had taken time cutting the sponge to better shapes but here is my attempt at a 1/200 forest with a dragon vulcan flying over. Still not finished and the vulcans mounting wire needs replacing and the angle changing,.

Keep up the good work can't wait to see more. Once again great to meet you at the show ;)

0383B632-4162-43D0-8D78-888DA5B8ED17-104

F46FA36C-AF5B-4FB3-B037-91FBC9F8A528-104

B710078A-9FDF-436E-88EF-287898D7C127-104

If I could find a way to sand sponge and loose the sharp edges I might get a better look.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Swede here, I have seen some snow in my days!

The Vallejo product seem fine for "wet" snow - near zero or above zero. The kind of snow you make snowballs of. Precision snow seems to give a much "colder" look. Either is fine if it's the effect you want - snow isn't always frosty and for a spring diorama that would look all wrong.

Now a bit about application - depends if you want to show a static tank or a moving vehicle, but something to look out for is never apply snow on hot parts - exhausts never get snowy since the running engine thaws the flakes immediately - unless you want to show the tank after a nightly snowfall. Snow also get dirty REALLY fast, so soot will show up immediately.

• Like 2

Hi Swede. From the website....Frozen water, Wet thawing snow, fractured ice, fresh snow and slush..All in one dio!

Detailofscuffedgrassandbrokeniceeffects_

• Like 2

Swede here, I have seen some snow in my days!

The Vallejo product seem fine for "wet" snow - near zero or above zero. The kind of snow you make snowballs of. Precision snow seems to give a much "colder" look. Either is fine if it's the effect you want - snow isn't always frosty and for a spring diorama that would look all wrong.

Now a bit about application - depends if you want to show a static tank or a moving vehicle, but something to look out for is never apply snow on hot parts - exhausts never get snowy since the running engine thaws the flakes immediately - unless you want to show the tank after a nightly snowfall. Snow also get dirty REALLY fast, so soot will show up immediately.

Yeah, it does snow a bit over there - we had 6 flakes on a chilly Sunday here - bit of a huge anticlimax for a winter!

This vehicle is an definately an experiment, it is depicted as static, cold engine, overnight leaguer and with a fresh fall of snow.

Later attempts will deal with dirt/mud splashed, melted etc as I progress. Ice will undoubtedly come later (not cold enough yet LOL)

I do like this effect and Yes Rob, I did forget to remove the excess on the 2nd pass before the final coating - well spotted.

In the use of this stuff I am indeed the novice but I hope to improve shortly, especially with my proposed Chosin scene for the Korea GB

I have a HobbyBoss AT-1 which is fairly characterless which I may toy with this week but that will depend on the amount of spare time I get - that will be a seperate posting on WIP hopefully.

Edited by Shermaniac

I forgot to add: I really see potential here. That groundwork is exemplary and the Tiger really looks frozen - at those cold temperatures it rarely snows, so I imagine most of the buildup is frost. I've seen frost layers that are several inches thick.

Snow is really difficult to depict well. There are thousands of variations and they can look totally different and if you have some first-hand experience with snow you can almost immediately spot that something's wrong. Snow is rarely just "snow". Another example is that a tank that moves must have footprints and bare areas that show where the tankers got in.

• Like 1

I forgot to add: I really see potential here. That groundwork is exemplary and the Tiger really looks frozen - at those cold temperatures it rarely snows, so I imagine most of the buildup is frost. I've seen frost layers that are several inches thick.

Snow is really difficult to depict well. There are thousands of variations and they can look totally different and if you have some first-hand experience with snow you can almost immediately spot that something's wrong. Snow is rarely just "snow". Another example is that a tank that moves must have footprints and bare areas that show where the tankers got in.

Your right it is difficult to depict. So much so that I thought snow modelling was a waist of time till I saw this.

Your right though as a swede you see more snow than us. The last 4 years in Britain I have struggled through some very bad winters. In 2010 it was as cold as the North Pole -21, I nearly lost my life on the road due to it.

I was on the verge of getting hyperthermia at one point driving a 100 mile journey over ice and snow at a speed average of 20 - 40 MPH. With no car heating due to a failure that week.

I'm new to snow modelling I would be keen to learn more what would you suggest.

I have learned much by being on Britmodeller its what's so great about it . A friendly place were we can all help each other.

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan

For me the best thing about this is it got me into dioramas. Something I had never done before and this was my first serious attempt at a Dio and first serious use of the Precision Ice and Snow when I was asked to review it.

null_zps62dbfb12.jpg

null_zps89587c58.jpg

null_zps0c45e93b.jpg

I know one thing I had a lot of fun doing it. I also love the idea of trying to give my models something to work off it helps them a lot.

The land Rover is pre made from oxford Diecast and was very much an after thought the woodland is my modelling not the landy.

I would love to make a kit landy at some point. I dunno if there are any kits other than the 2 airfix ones.

Cheers Rob ;)