Alexeyev I-216, AMODEL, 1/72nd scale

Hi guys,
Here are a few pics of my new build, AMODEL's Alexeyev I-216.
It is one of their new kits, the general fitting is ok even if it is not perfect.
7ed3f573fc3ebb9c8b6a8f780c9ef21f.jpg
The cockpit consists of a bathtub with a seat in 2 parts and a control stick Some adjustments were necessary to insert it in the fuselage halves. These main parts were painted in HUMBROL 145, the seat cushion and the dashboard in black. I added a throttle and seat belts painted in brown.
Some weight was included, just behind the cockpit back wall.
The most difficult part was the fitting of the bottom part of the nose which includes the front landing gear bay.
64707e0b3f71b00c5eeb81ed72088628.jpg
The wings assembly did not need too much putty nor time, the only problem is that there are no slots to insert the wings into the fuselage, therefore, I used cyano glue (which serves also as a filler !) to set them into place.
No problemo with the stabilators.
426dd6a1ea6f83a314ebd2d30f3d2659.jpg
The landing gears are nice, the fitting of the canopy was a total nightmare.
Once the plane was sanded and clean, I airbrushed it with HUMBROL mettalic silver prior the coat of clear varnish.
And here comes trouble : the decals litteraly exploded in the water !!!!
So, no coffee for three days and carefully I re assembled them on their different locations on the model, this was the longest moment.
After a new coat of clear varnish to trap them, I added a thin coat of semi-gloss varnish.
Here it is ! Thanks for looking !
6f7ff32fa371064f3ddb3cee0a436b0f.jpg
Critics and comments welcome, have a nice week end !
Pierre

• Like 5

I built the I-211 version and agree with most of your comments although I did not have so much trouble with the decals. My biggest problem was under-estimating the amount of weight to add and ended up pouring 'liquid lead' into the engine intakes followed by a shot of CA to keep it quiet!

I am currently battling with the A-Model XP59 which I thought was a recent kit but it has all the problems of the older ones.

John

Hi John,

A french modeller just told me that the I-216 never existed and besides the fact that it was supposed to be another version of the I-215, the engines are all wrong ! It was not the first time I had troubles with AMODEL decals, though..

I also have the XP 59 with parts provided for the different versions and to me seems to be more accurate than the SPECIAL HOBBY release.

Anyway, the decals look terrible and I think I'll have to get new ones !

Pierre

Alekseyev built the I-211, which was converted to the I-215 having the Russian equivalent of the Nene engine. The I-216 was only a proposed development carrying the heavy cannon.

I have seen a comment by Musa Zakoreev, who produces the Prop & Jet resin kits, that the engine nacelles of the I-211 are not the correct shape. When I built my I-211 I thought that the u/c geometry was incorrect as the doors did not match the length of the leg.

I have just re-read my build notes and I did find the decals tended to break up and I gave them a coat of decal film before continuing.

My build is here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952022-alexeyev-i-211-a-model-172/

Regarding the decals I think that the 211 is undersize. I have some spares which came from Musa when I bought one of his kits. The decal sheet covered a couple of a/c, one of them the I-211. Send me a PM if I you would like them

Lovely job Pierre

New aircraft to me I thought it was a what if Meteor pinched by the Russians and fitted with cannon from a Stuka !

Still lots to learn it would appear, every days a school day.

Cheers Pat