1955 Mercedes W196R - Hand Made Concept Car

Best not to copy that one too closely Safak. Sorry Rich, it ain't a 196. :fraidnot:

For all it's similarities, Number 44 is a modern recreation by the Streamliner Motor Company and although a copy of the original 196s in many respects it has a lot of modern underpinnings. The body also looks much more bulbous from all angles relative to the originals (at least it does to me!). The wheels and arches look wrong too. Size maybe?

Rich is quite right though, there are two versions, the earlier cars with a small vent at the rear of the bonnet (hood) and the later one with a larger air intake at the front which I think also has a different bonnet line around the intake. Fangio's car is the earlier version. I think the prototypes had neither of the vents.

Kind regards

Dave

There is a 1/24 resin kit available of the 196 streamliner. I have one in the stash. A bit rough but very buildable and not too expensive.

Of course, that is the easy route. If you pull this build off you really will have something to be proud of.

• 3 weeks later...