Unidentified Aircraft Seen Over Southwest US

Navy Bird

Sorry if this one has already been posted - I ran a search, but didn't find anything here on BM. Here is the Aviation Week article:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_03_31_2014_p30-675221.xml

Plenty of versions of this same basic storyline on the web, and most dated prior to April 1st, so I don't think this is a prank.

Cheers,

Bill

Could it be those new drones the USN have?

My instinctive thought exactly, if you look really closely you can see an oblong sort of extension on each wig tip.

Martin

Not sure it is the x-48 that ceased flying a while ago. Also the 48 is not that big and at a contrail height would not be seen from the ground.

Reliable sources in the US also claim radio transmissions from the aircraft so was manned.

Wing shape is not right for a B-2.

• Like 1

If you go to the photographer's website...

http://deepbluehorizon.blogspot.com/2014/03/mystery-aircraft-photographed-over.html

...there are additional photos and comments. There were three in formation.

My guess is that this is a black aircraft, just as Sweetman postulates. Pure speculation says it's a Next Generation Bomber test vehicle. The USAF has been adamant that the NGB will cost only $550 million per copy - perhaps this is because the development is already finished?

I've read that the contrails show that it has two or four engines; the X-47 Phantom Ray and X-47B have one, the X-48 has three (although the X-48C had two). Based on the related radio communications, it also seems to be manned. Based on altitude estimates, the mystery ship seems much too big to be any of these X-47 or X-48 configurations.

Haven't had this much fun since the old F-19 model kit at the Congressional hearings! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I've read that the contrails show that it has two or four engines; the X-47 Phantom Ray and X-47B have one, the X-48 has three (although the X-48C had two).

Not sure if I agree with this. True, it leaves two separate contrails behind, which may hint to an even number of generators. If you look at the pictures, however, the contrail starts as an indistinct band, which only further back separates into two separate lines. These basically are the wing vortices, which are present behind any flying object being held aloft by aerodynamic forces.

The reports also talk about three aircraft at the same time. Which leaves open the possibility that the UFO is unmanned, the voice traffic coming from chase planes.

My vote is for the X-47.

Edited by Hotel Papa

In case others did not click through the links:

enhanced3s.jpg

dean.jpg

Recordings of ATC chatter indicate the formation was at 37,000 ft altitude. Cool stuff, whatever it is.

Cheers,

Bill